• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

spit in 2nd slide

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarchardFerguson
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2003 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what is the quickest way to remove ALL of the spit if the slide is stuck?
DavesTrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2003 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blow man, blow!

Dave
TrumpetAdam
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2003 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turn it upside down?
Schilke 14
my trumpet
=============================
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
smithwatkinsguy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2003 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya, I really hate this problem. This was horrible for me during marching band!! Especially during the rain, I don't why. Anyways, I just take out the 2nd valve slide and all of my slides and empty them out and blow through the horn, usually cleans everything out that you need out of the horn!
Rhode Island All-State Orchestra
The Hartt School of Music
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
fuzzyjon79
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2003 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I once posted a question on how to get the spit out of my 3rd valve slide without having to take it off my trumpet and someone told me to hold it parallel to the ground with the second valve slide facing the ground, then tilt it backwards and then forwards and then all the water would run to the main tuning slide and you could let it out there? I'm not sure if it will work for the 2nd valve slide though, but it's worth a shot?
James B. Quick
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2003 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First, you have to learn to think like water. Then, you experience gravity!! (The opposite of levity)....

Point the bell down and depress the second valve, unless you have a Benge or some other horn with a freakish canard second valve slide, almost all of the water will drain into the main slide... jbqd
tom turner
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2003 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Here's the good old way that will work even on horns without spit valves (plus is fast and effective on all horns):

1. Hold the horn out level and rotate the trumpet counterclockwise 1/4 turn so the 2nd valve slide is UP to do steps 2-5,

2. Push down only the third valve and blow vigorously,

3. Next push down only the second valve and blow vigorously,

4. Then push down only the first valve and blow vogorously,

5. Next blow vigorously through the horn with no valves down,

6. Keep blowing the open horn while you lift the bell up 45 degrees,

7. Rotate the horn counter-clockwise another 1/4 turn so it is upside down, bell still pointing up 45 degrees--whatever water was in the horn is now in the inverted bell bow.

8. Keep blowing as you lower the inverted horn's bell towards the floor.

WHAT YOUR BLUE SUEDE SHOES as Niagra Falls erupts from the bell onto the floor.

With practice, this only takes a little longer than using the spit valves on the horn and is much more efficent!

Sincerely,

Tom Turner
fuzzyjon79
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2003 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This brings up an interesting question... you have a main spit valve... most horns have a spit valve on the 3rd valve slide..... by chance.. has anyone ever seen a spit valve on the 2nd valve slide? Could it be done? Boy, that would look weird! LOL Just a thought....
jhaysom
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2003 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom's method is similar to that on Jim Donaldson's Trumpet Gearhead site:

http://www.dallasmusic.org/gearhead/Emptying%20Water.html

Has anyone worked out a similar method for flugel horns? I have a devil of a time getting the water out of my Leblanc, despite having 3 spit valves.
Yamaha 8310ZS trumpet
Yamaha 6310ZS trumpet
Courtois flugel
1941 King Silvertone cornet
1941 King 2B valve trombone
Kanstul 920 piccolo
etc.
elbobogrande
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2003 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2003-09-02 23:35, fuzzyjon79 wrote:
This brings up an interesting question... you have a main spit valve... most horns have a spit valve on the 3rd valve slide..... by chance.. has anyone ever seen a spit valve on the 2nd valve slide? Could it be done? Boy, that would look weird! LOL Just a thought....

For that matter, why not put a water key on the bell bow somehow?
John
redface
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2003 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2003-09-02 23:35, fuzzyjon79 wrote:
has anyone ever seen a spit valve on the 2nd valve slide? Could it be done? Boy, that would look weird! LOL Just a thought....

I have an old Schilke E3L with an amado style spit key on the 2nd slide. I got it second hand and when I had it repaired the repair guy was quite confused by it. It pretty much never gets used - all the water accumulates in the 3rd slide. I have never ever seen this on any other schilke, but i guess it's a really old instrument, the repair guy said it was a custom job.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Tootsall
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2003 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On flugel, yes the same thing works. You just have to remember that the air goes into the 1st valve first on a flugel. Hold horn horizontal with the right side "up". Blow vigorously into the horn while working the 1st, 2nd, then 3rd valves in sequence. Roll the horn so that it is now in normal playing position and raise the bell. The water is now at the back bow. Carefully rotate the horn vertical (bell "up") then "upside down". A generous run of water out the bell should be your reward.

Getzen Eterna 800 LB (Sparx #4)
Jupiter 846L (Jupiter #7)

[ This Message was edited by: Tootsall on 2003-09-03 08:41 ]
James B. Quick
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2003 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose some of this spit business may be related to the playing position of a person's horn. A lot of people may play with the horn tipped to the right to different degrees,,,
trumpetmike
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2003 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't had much of a problem with this on my trumpets. My cornet, however, has this a great deal. I don't think I hold them at different angles, it just happens to be that this is the best way of emptying any water that accumulates on this instrument.
Well, that's my experience of this. There probably is a very good reason for it, but I have no idea what it is - that's a job for the scientists amongst us!

Yamaha Bb 6335HS (Najoom leadpipe)
Yamaha Rotary Bb
F Besson C (Najoom leadpipe)
Yamaha Eb 6610S
Scherzer G
F Besson Piccolo
Yamaha Maestro Bb Cornet
Eclipse Copper Flugel
Getzen 4-Valve Flugel
samlg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2003 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

redface, could the amado key on the second lide be operated by the thumb? ive got into the habit of lossing all the valve waver out of the second slide. could it be to remove all the water in the schilke way without removeing the slide?

just a thought, sam
drunkiq
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2003 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you are the first person I have EVER heard of with this problem - maybe you need new under white, upper green, and upper white pads....

if your horn is not that old then the green pads are not depressed enough and your hold will not line up.... if you valve is not aligned on the when pushed down, the water may get stuck there and I agree that you are not blowing hard enough to get it over the hump.... heck most of my water shoots right out my bell..... however - Schilke recently came out with som new green pads made out of a different material that doe not require a break in perod to get the valve hold aligned downwards before breaking the pads in....

in fact Scilke posted on a thread here offering to send out poeple free pads if they had this break in issue here is the thread

Click HERE to read the thread that Schilke responsed to and offered these pads to us.

Also since it's a Schilke I would not waste a dime on a valve alignment at one of those "shops", due to Schilke design and crafman ship you should not need too.... and based on conversations I have had with a company that offers these service and their responce on even trying to align a Schilke I know it is a waste of money (basically they tried to tell me it was waste of time and money in a non direct way, but did offer the service....)

I also wonder what your horn angle is when you play (up, middle really down) and even more - espically if you tilt it to your horn off the right a bit more then normal for some odd reason which would keep liquid there....

Call Schilke and ask to speak with Phil Baughman at Schilke 1.708.343.8858 or email him at phil@schilkemusic.com (SLOWER response time) see what he suggests and what he thinks need to happen to fix it... let me know what he comes up with - I try to keep track of all the Schilke related stuff...

It will be the best thing you can do at this point - Schilke does not mess around or bea aound he bush! Phil is super cool guy and will probably talk shop forever with you...

let us know what Phil says....

-marc

[ This Message was edited by: drunkiq on 2003-09-04 09:53 ]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: