• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

What is the theory behind bent mouthpiece design?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
romajore

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2002 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm looking at the April 2002 Downbeat magazine p 13. It pictures Tomasz Stanko with trumpet and bent mouthpiece. Does this design work? What types of players does it benefit? Downstream? How is the air stream effected? Does any manufacturer make them this way or is it always a custom job?

Anyone played one?

Thanks
R-

[ This Message was edited by: romajore on 2002-03-11 23:18 ]
Tim80
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2002 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are many more qualified to speak than this writer. I did however ask this same question a while back. I think the purpose of a bent mouthpiece is to help keep downstream players from playing down into their stand or at the floor. I would like enlightenment also. Just out of curiosity mind you. I may have many problems with playing a trumpet but that isn't one of 'em.

Webbsta78
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2002 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I play with a guy who uses a set of bent bach mpcs, because he has a serious overbite which puts his horn angle at the extreme of 'downstream' He got this idea from Don Tison, who he studied with at Peabody Cons. in Baltimore, several years ago.

Jason
evolution
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2002 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

played a bent Jettone for some years. Liked it cause like lots of players my bell aims in the stand. With the bent mpc it was easier to play out in the room. Didn't feel any major changes in the blowing-feel. The bending was not made from Jettone. A instrument maker made the work and did a great job. Think if you find a good craftsman you can let bend him every mpc. (I wouldn't make someone bend my unique vintage mpc. To dangerous.) If you like the look and the feel it is worth a try.
Larry Smithee
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2002 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went through a period in college playing bent mouthpieces (about 10 degrees or so) due to down stream issues. Also, my jazz band director jumped on my butt so often, regarding getting the bell out of the stand that something was needed that would work for me. I got my initial idea from an old album cover showing Shorty Rogers playing a bent mouthpiece, so off I went to a repair shop for some serious mouthpiece bending. This solution does work. Since then I've noticed some prominent and lesser known players with bent mouthpieces, including Chuck Findley. Long ago builders of brass instruments found that they could compact long brass instruments by curving and bending tubing into crooks without sacrificing sound and quality. Why not mouthpieces (at least a little)? I no longer use a bent mouthpiece, but I still have a couple from the old days.
Larry Smithee
evolution
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2002 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stopped playing bent mpc.s cause last year I bought a Getzen Eterna with a tilted up bell. IMO a funny solution for the playing-in-the-stand-problem. Now being a Monette client I don't want anyone to bend my mpc. Just to expensive
trptdaddy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2002 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark Curry himself plays (or at least did in 1995) on bent mouthpieces because of his severe overbite.

David
clarion89
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2002 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob Reeves makes Chuck Findley's bent mouthpiece. There are some good shots of it in the last edition of WINDPLAYER magazine.
Lazarus
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2002 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just an interesting tid-bit. I have a really cool, old instrument repairmen's hand guide that I got on ebay a while ago, and it the book it actually gives the process and tools needed to properly bend a mouthpiece without changing sound characteristics for such a player!

--Stephen
Lazarus
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2002 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just an interesting tid-bit. I have a really cool, old instrument repairmen's hand guide that I got on ebay a while ago, and it the book it actually gives the process and tools needed to properly bend a mouthpiece without changing sound characteristics for such a player!

--Stephen
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: