• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Canadian schools...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
softcase
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2003 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

going into my last year of high school, i have a pretty good idea of what schools i will be applying to.
In order of preference:
1) Glenn Gould Professional School
2) McGill
2) University of Toronto

One of my main concerns is that i don't want to get buried, and not be able to play in the orchestra until 4th year. that's why the Glenn Gould school is my top choice.

Well, what are your opinions on different canadian schools? faculty? performance opportunities? good local professional orchestra(s) is a big plus too =)
308WIN
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2003 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well,
FWIW, when I as at Juilliard we had several guys there who got degrees at McGill including Jens Lindemann.

Rich
fuzzyjon79
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2003 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Paul Merkelo teaches at a University in Montreal, have you looked at colleges there? Paul is one HECK of a player / teacher!!!!!!
Brewblue1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2003 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Paul Merkelo teaches at a University in Montreal, have you looked at colleges there? Paul is one HECK of a player / teacher!!!!!!

I believe that Merkelo teaches at McGill, which is the traditional teaching post of the Principal Tpt of OSM. Previous principals James Thompson and Charles Daval also taught at McGill.

Based on what Ive heard from Paul Merkelo's recordings with OSM, I sure would consider McGill to be top choice!

John
Shires Artist
Tromba Mundi
Summit Brass
fuzzyjon79
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2003 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There you go! McGill, would be my top choice out of those three!
Derek Reaban
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2003 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had several lessons with Russ DeVuyst (also of the OSM) in his home. He is a marvelous player and teacher and would be a great choice to supplement lessons outside of your school experience. He has lots of stories and approaches music very differently than other teachers that I have studied with. He puts a lot of energy into his lessons.

My business takes me to Montreal on occasion (my company, Honeywell, supplies engines to Bombardier Aerospace), so I have had a chance to explore the city. Concerts with the OSM at the Notre Dame Basilica were absolutely amazing! I heard two concerts last Summer (Mahler 1 and Prokofiev Romeo and Juliet). Being close to a top-notch symphony to attend regular concerts would certainly be a plus!

The Strathcona Music Building was built in the late 1800’s and it looks like a castle. I would go over to practice in the evenings at McGill on several of my business trips. Very little practice activity there in the Summer, but I would imagine that these rooms are at a premium during the school year (it didn’t seem like they had very many). I got a kick out of their push button code (2-5-1)!

Then there’s the chance to explore the Montreal underground, the old town area by the river, the parks at Mont Royal that overlook the city, and the many wonderful restaurants they have (Weinsteins & Gavino’s on Crescent Street is outstanding).

Good luck in your choice!
Derek Reaban
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2003 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought you might enjoy this post that I sent to the TPIN list last year about my trip to Montreal to enjoy the OSM concerts as well as a "look inside" the Notre Dame Basilica.

TPIN Post------------------------------------

I stayed at a hotel just across from the Strathcona Music Building on Rue Sherbrooke and was able to practice (without a practice mute) every evening. It's such a joy to not have to worry about hotel room practicing while travelling. The Strathcona Music Building is on the corner of Sherbrooke and University and was built in 1895 (there is a large statue of Queen Victoria in front of the building with the details of the building date). I don't know much about architecture, but the building was constructed from large stones, and had a definite 19th century European feel to it (somewhat like a castle). It was very impressive walking up the front stairs! The people that I spoke with were very friendly and guided me to the 4th floor of the East wing of the building where the practice rooms were located.

When I arrived in Montreal, I immediately called Russ Devuyst of the Montreal Symphony for a lesson. He got back with me and we arranged for a lesson in the second week of my trip. He was extremely motivating from a musical perspective and approaches air in the same way as Don Jacoby and Pops (whether he knows it or not). It was that energetic air, considering each higher note to be farther away, that provided him with such a wonderful vibrant sound. He talked about developing a "smaller" sound with more core as opposed to a bigger sound. I take this as being more efficient with generating the sound and playing to the center (pitch center). He certainly sounded great!

The next treat of my trip was to hear the Orchestre Symphonique de Montreal at their summer home (Notre Dame Basilica). I made it to two concerts. Both had Mozart concertos on the first half (violin), and then the second halves were magical. James DePriest was conducting the first week, and I was treated to Mahler Symphony No. 1. I was sitting in the first balcony and was actually in line with the trumpet section (I could see DePriest from the front). It was one of the finest live concerts I have ever heard of Mahler One. Truly like a CD. The trumpets joined me in the balcony for the offstage calls in the first movement. The tempo in the final movement was slightly faster than I am used to, but it made for a very exciting ending! Week two was Prokovief's Romeo and Juliet. This time I was sitting in the second balcony in the Organ/Choir loft. The organ had the 32-ft pipes, and was on a raised platform. Just guessing, the Basilica must be at least 80 feet high in the main sanctuary. It was just an amazing performance (both musically and visually)!

To get a feel for the summer home of the Montreal, check out the following links:

Notre Dame Basilica (Montreal)
http://collections.ic.gc.ca/relig/bndam/bndame08.htm

Interior View of Notre Dame Basilica (Montreal)
http://collections.ic.gc.ca/relig/bndam/bndame28.htm

I just had to share my Montreal experience with everyone!

[ This Message was edited by: Derek Reaban on 2004-04-05 17:31 ]
jamie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2003 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have been talking to my teacher about the same topic, and he asked me how good my french was ecause Mc Gill is in a french community all the stores would be french if you went to a restaurante it would be french. so unless you speak half desent french Mc Gill might not be the place. Mc Gill is still a VERY GOOD school and would be one of my choices too.
Derek Reaban
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2003 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jamie,

While it’s true that all the street signs are printed in French and most of the menus in the restaurants are in French, Montreal is a bilingual community. I have had many business trips to Montreal, and even though I don’t speak a word of French, it has not been a problem for me to communicate. One time I was there for just over 2 weeks, and I went to Church on both Sundays. The first Sunday I ended up attending the 10:30 service and it was entirely in French! I sing in choirs, so I phonetically sounded out the hymns and I guess I did a pretty good job. The couple sitting in front of me starting talking to me in French after the service and complimenting me on my voice. I had to stop them and tell them that I didn’t speak French. The man was just shocked and said, “but you sang every word perfectly!” That made my day! The next week I attended the earlier service that was in English.

Anyway, don’t let the language barrier stop you. If you say “Hello”, almost everyone that I have met “on the street” will talk with you in English.

Good luck!

[ This Message was edited by: Derek Reaban on 2003-09-26 17:28 ]
gus
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2003 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mc Gill teaching is 100 % in English.-

Gus
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Schools All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: