• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

polishing gold-plating

View previous topic :: View next topic  
elgatoerudito

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2003 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what's the best cloth for polishing gold-plated trumpets? I've been using the UMI cloth where one side is treated and the other isn't, but I can never get the damn stuff off and I can see the polishing chemical there for days afterwards if not indefinitely. I'm sure this is harmful to the finish so I'd like to get something better as soon as possible just to get the stuff off from my last polishing with the UMI piece of crap cloth.
I'd prefer a cloth that does not deposit anything on the instrument, as I apparently lack the ability to "buff" the stuff off.
as a sidenote (the question of what cloth to use is more important) is it harmful to the finish if the stuff stays on for long periods of time, like for the 3 months until I get my horn professionally cleaned?
DavesTrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2003 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I surely wouldn't recommend any treated clothes. I feel 3M is the best gold polish. They make two different kinds of metal polish. The stuff that works best for gold plate comes in the white bottle. Just a little amount on a clean soft (damp, if you like) cloth is all it takes. Rub it on, let it dry, buff to shine. Stuff protects a very long time.

Dave M
UsedBits
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2003 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The sliver plate on my gold Benge began to tarnish under the gold plate. For years nothing was able to remove it.

However, one product was finally able to clean the tarnished silver under the gold. It was Amway Tarnish Remover. (I do not sell this stuff and stand nothing to gain with this endorsement.)

This horn was purchased in 1975 and had only just begun to tarnish. By 2000, it looked pretty bad. On a lark I tried the Amway cleaner. Lo and behold, it worked. My horn looks better now than when purchased 25 years ago. In fact, I've not cleaned it since 2000 and it still looks great.
Benge Bb, 5x, ml #8162
Benge C, 2x+, mlp #7481
Benge D/Eb, ml #6579
Benge Flug, ml #17xxx
Stomvi piccolo, m15, #901885
Boston 3-Star 1 NE Plus Ultra LP #22019
Martin Committee #151322
Bach Strad (NY) 7-10-62, #2003
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
drunkiq
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2003 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mine is a satin finish - If a dirty spot pops up then I use a flannel dusting cloth (super soft) if it need more help then water then i use a little flitz... can't find the 3m stuff locally but will try it out as soon as i get off my but and order some online...

My Schilke X3Lb in Satin Gold
[img]http://us.f2.yahoofs.com/users/3f4577e3_1283/bc/X/__hr_x.jpg?BCoZaR_ARis3g4PD[/img]
mulligan stew
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like these micro-fiber cloths--they are not treated with anything, but remove tarnish, oil, fingerprints etc. on any finish. I buy mine at a Bed, Bath, and Beyond (in the US)...4 cloths for $9.99. Here's one link that explains these cloths:

http://www.theragcompany.com/small_cloth.htm
Larry Smithee
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turtle car wax works great.
Larry
romey1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Larry Smithee
Heavyweight Member

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Turtle car wax works great.

Larry

Are there any abrasives in turtle wax?

romey
Larry Smithee
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Abrasives? I don't think so. This product was recomended to me by a repairmen in St. Louis and it seemed to work great, with no adverse affects that I could tell. Although I no longer have a gold platted horn at this time I used to and I used turtle wax on the finish for years with great results. You want to use the paste turtle product, by the way. Try it on a gold mouthpiece and see what you think.
Larry
_Don Herman
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SOME car waxes DO have abrasives, generally called "polishing compounds" or similar. Turtle Wax, like Meguirs (sp?) and the rest, have a variety of products available, with and without abrasives. Just make sure you get the right one!

FWIW - Don
hose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"mine is a satin finish"

Drunkiq, Per the reccomendation of the manufacturer, I have been using GlassWax on my satin gold Lawler. It works great.
drunkiq
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2003 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2/14/03 ATTENTION CUSTOMERS: WE HAVE JUST BEEN INFORMED BY OUR SUPPLIER THAT RECKITT & COLEMAN, MAKERS OF GLASS WAX, HAVE DISCONTINUED MANUFACTURING THIS PRODUCT...

so where are you buying it at? I would like to give it a spin - espically if mr. Lawler recommeds it...

-marc
hose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2003 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I purchased a "can" at either Lowes or Kroger" last spring. Possibly, a "mom and pop" hardware store might have some. The less you rub or polish any horn finish, the better. I see some people constantly wiping and rubbing their horns with some sort of cloth at rehearsals. They're just gradually rubbing the plating off.

[ This Message was edited by: hose on 2003-09-26 17:54 ]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: