• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Lead setup vs. Legit setup

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mfan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2003 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am currently playing the mouthpiece game. When I discussed this with my teacher here in the northern VA area he suggested playing multiple pieces with the same rims for different applications. Or even better just picking one and using it for everything.

He uses a Schilke 13a4a for everything. He played a characteristic study out of the back of the Arban for me, then pasted my hair back with some double G's, then started playing excerpts from the Haydn, Hummel, and back to lead. He used to play trumpet solos with the Army concert band in the afternoons, and go play lead for the Army Blues at night, all with the same set-up. So here's my point, he suggested finding a piece that works for you and playing only that. How many of you guys only use one piece? Is this guy just a freak or what?
-Collin

[ This Message was edited by: mfan on 2003-09-21 17:37 ]
maynard-46
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2003 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Warburton Goldplated 6ESV top FOR EVERYTHING. However...sometimes (but very rarely) I change BB's.

Butch Warnke
TRUMPE: YAMAHA Lacq. "Shew Gen II" / Legends .585 "CatMaster" Top / KT "TKO" BB / Reeves #5.75 Sleeve.
FLUGELHORN: ADAMS Custom "F1" / Legends .585 "CatMaster FL.
bkmdano
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2003 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I pretty much stay with the Warburton 4mc/7*. I think it is a very middle of the road set up. Every once in a while I'll change to a 4m with either the KT or 8* back bore depending on how the chops feel. There is not a great deal of difference in the size but it is just enough to get through when I'm not feeling at my peek.
Lawler TL6r1a
Schilke 1040 flugelhorn
FlugelFlyer
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2003 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm now at the point where I'm using two mouthpieces for everything and just not worrying about equipment anymore. I've found that if I practice my normal stuff with the 1-1/2C and switch to the JT7S for the more demanding upper register playing, like lead big band, salsa, or really high legit, I'm pretty much set.
DaveH
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2003 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, your first sentence just about sums it up, IMO. "I am currently playing the mouthpiece game..." It's a game all right... Who will the winner be? The player or the mouthpiece makers?
trumpetmike
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2003 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure;y the winner should be the audience.

Although I think you might be right about the makers!
Mean Liberal

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2003 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm also in NoVA...who are you studying with?

Bb Trumpets: Bach Stradivarius 37, Mt. Vernon Bach Mercury

Mouthpiece: Schilke 11
mfan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2003 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Point taken Dave H. I'm just trying to find a good legit piece that also has a nice lead version. So far I've been fortunate to get lots of free trials. I was curious though to see how many people, if any, actually use the same mpce for the legit and lead work.

Chaz, I have been studying with Dave Detwiler. Know of him? Send me an e-mail. walter5_28@yahoo.com Later.
-Collin
drunkiq
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2003 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i do not - but my all my mouthpieces has the same front end - rim diameter, rim contour, rim bite, alpha angle and top cup - the seoncd cup, thorat and backbores are differnt..

check out my last 3-4 posts on this thread for my spin on it all - how to do a proper mpc safari:

http://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?topic=10827&forum=6&start=30&43

-marc
E.D.Lewis
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2003 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to use a Denis Wick 3C for everything. Then I started to experiment, trying to get a little more depth to my sound for orchestral playing, so I switched to a Bach 1 1/2C. I've been using that for a few years now and my sound is a little bigger. I use it for legit and small group jazz stuff, but find I need a little help - endurance wise - for big band or salsa stuff. I was searching for a long time but I think I've found my piece, a Reeves 42M. I would think a 13A4a too shallow and tight for orchestral playing, but sometimes a change in backbore can make a big difference in sound. For a versatile setup look into Warburton or the Kanstul mouthpiece system. Good luck.

[ This Message was edited by: E.D.Lewis on 2003-09-22 10:15 ]
fuzzyjon79
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2003 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Warburton system might work for you. Have you tried out any of his mouthpieces?
cujazztrpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2003 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Myself only change mouthpieces depending on my mood and all my MPC have the same rim, Although I think if you can stay on one mouthpiece and play everthing from there it'll be better.
trumpetguy99
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2003 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've come to the conclusion that the rim size being the same is over emphasized. As your mouthpiece gets shallower it's going to feel different anyway. Find something smaller but that is still cofortable and that you can get a good sound on.
billybix76

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am in agreement with butch, I play a Kanstul (compatibale with warburton, but lots cheaper) copy of a NY Bach 3F with 41 BB. I will change out to a different BB for tonal color and once in a while pull out a 6a4a schilke for outrageous, obnoxious lead edge...but the sound desired should change the piece played if you do that kind of thing... not just the ease of playing.
jamie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2003 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i play on a yamaha 13a4a wich is pretty much the same as a shilkie 13a4a and i use it for all situations. i also have a bach 10c wich i was using before the 13a4a is what i perminatly use.

my teacher uses two mouth pieces one for just abuot everything and one for his upper register. he told me he was allowed beause he was old (72) and that i should play on one. he wasn't thrilled about me switiching to the 13a4a without him knowing
tradjazzman
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2003 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also like playing only one mouthpiece. It's hard enough to get used to ONE.
But then I don't play much legit / concert/ stuff where I'd want a darker sound.
I however have never been that fortune to hear many guys play a 13A4A and play nice legit music. I don't know many (any) Symphoney players playing a shallow Jet Tone, etc . Although don't laugh I remember auditioning on one (a Jet Tone) 20 years ago. (ha,ha). No I didn't make it either. (another LOL).

When I was at the Naval School of Music (some years ago) all the Big Band players were playing them ( 13A4A's) and all (that I remember) had a pretty thin sound in the staff and lower. BUT I KNOW IT CAN BE DONE, AND IM SURE YOUR TEACHER CAN DO IT. ( I wanted to put that in BOLD so you don't think I don't belive you). I don't want him plasting me with High G's!!

So for me a middle of the road mouthpiece seems to work. But we are all different. I know guys that can switch to a lead piece (smaller and shallower) and not have a problem. I'm 48, and have been playing for quite awhile, and tried that many times. I just could never get it to the point that I was comfortable with switching back and forth. So for me / just like your teacher "1" is enough. Usually the "1" is determined by what gigs/ type music you play the most.

Now if I can only settle on the right "1".

Good luck.

Ben
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: