• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Stomvi Elite

View previous topic :: View next topic  
trumpeternick
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2003 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm looking for a new horn, and Stomvi Elite is one of my top candidates. I'm looking for a Bb or C. Im wondering what anyone knows about them. Thanks.
donalson
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2003 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i played one for a few years... as far as athstetics it was amazingly well finished, great plating, clean, ect ect ect.

it had a great tone but i never got comfortable w/ it... the valves never felt as smooth as i thought they should, no matter what oil i used.

i felt the horn chocked a good bit in the upper register... it didn't have near the flexability i'd have liked either

the bell however was VERY light weight... you could lightly squeeze it at the throat of the bell and see it move... you could "thunk/flick" the bell w/ your finger and hear a gorgious ringing tone

in the end i sold the horn for what i paid for it.... and found a horn i realy feel comfrotable w/... then again i've found a horn that i like about as much as it already... but i'd need to spend some serious time on that horn before i'd drop $1k on a horn.

just my .02
mark
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
donalson
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2003 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i forgot to menitoin... the horn responded VERY well to CCaps IMHO

mark
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
walter
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2003 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've played a few and thought that they were all wonderful horns and one of the best buys I've seen in trumpets.

Contrary to the last poster, I thought that the valves were very smooth. In fact, there was something about the overall fluidity of response that I don't find in many trumpets. I thought that the upper register, especially above high C was exceptionally easy ... much more so than most Bachs that I've played.

These are 2 things that I would think a potential buyer would have picked-up on before actually buying the trumpet.
donalson
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2003 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

could be the make date... mine had a '95 make date... it is still by far one of the most beuitful horns i've ever seen... i'll prob ask to play another one when i'm at woodwind brasswind, maybe it was just my particular horn, i've nevr played another stomvi before... if the price is right it's worth a shot... but that horn was not for me... but i'm sure for others it would have been the ideal horn

mark
mr_trumpet

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2003 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i played a 1994 stomvi elite b flat. the sound was really great, but i had huge problems with the pistons. after changing all valves twice, i changed the horn to a kuehnl & hoyer "fantastic" in b flat with meinlschmidt rotary valves.

now i'm playing a stomvi elite c trumpet and the elite piccolo, both 1997 models without any problems yet. i think they did their homework!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: