• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Cornet question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
G-MAN
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can anyone give me info on this model cornet.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2564819203&category=41396

Thanks,

1974 L.A. Benge 3X MLP (#13120)
1976 Getzen Eterna Fluegelhorn
2007 Yamaha YTR6810S Piccolo
BeboppinFool
Donald Reinhardt Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no information on it, but that baby looks like it's begging to be played. Looks like it's gotten a lot of use, which tells me that it must be a nice-playing horn.

It would probably also be begging for some work, and I have no idea if it would be worth it to buy a horn and get a bunch of work done if you're not sure that it's a keeper to begin with.

So, maybe someone else has better insight on this one.

Rich
G-MAN
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich,

I am not so worried about getting work done as the two main repair guys in town are personal friends of mine and there kids are in school band with mine. I am more concerned about what quality or level of instrument this is. Is it a bottom line model or intermediate level horn. I also notice this is not a shepherds crook model where as a lot of the Besson horns are so why the difference. Anyways thanks for your response.

1974 L.A. Benge 3X MLP (#13120)
1976 Getzen Eterna Fluegelhorn
2007 Yamaha YTR6810S Piccolo
Lex Grantham
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw a Besson cornet (similar to this one) just two days ago in a music store that I frequent.

The horn is on the same par with Bundyand King 602 cornets...mainly for beginner students. Even though the bell of the instrument has "London - New York - Paris" engraved on the bell, I believe it is made in England. Provided that the valves are still tight, it possibly might be a horn that would be fine for a young player.

Sincerely,

Lex Grantham
valvepimp
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The third slide is fixed, not movable (except of course that the spit valve end does pull out for removal) so this should tell you straight away that it is a student model.

There are resemblances here and there to my French Besson Brevete trumpet, but I think they used the name "Brevete" on several models, not only their top of the line pro models.

If you are interested in it for collecting purposes, I'd say go ahead and bid, but as a player, well...personally I would cringe at the thought of perenially sharp low Ds and C#s.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: