• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

One for all or not?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
I Jazz 24 7

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2002 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Currently I use a bach 1 1/2 c for all my playing. What I have noticed is that many forum mebers, and trumpet players in general for that matter, use different mouthpieces for different types of music, which makes sense to me. Should i possibly look into to getting another mouthpiece? I don't have any real issues with using just one but if my playing can benefit it may be worth looking into. Currently i play in a jazz band (solo, minimal lead) and in a concert band. Thanks.

Brad
Quadruple C
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2002 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[ This Message was edited by: Quadruple C on 2003-11-22 17:04 ]
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2002 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to be a one mouthpiece player. I did everything on one mouthpiece...until I started playing Latin band. I was using a Marcinkiewicz #2 and I was working myself to death trying to make it throug a 3 set gig. About a year earlier I had gotten a pic and a friend gave a Schilke 14A4a to use with that. I ended up selling the pic but I decided to try using the Schilke MP for Latin. It took a couple of weeks to get used to, but it made things much easier. It didn't really give me any more range than I already had, but it made it waaaaay easier and I wasn't totally chopped out by the end of the night.

Try using something else for a change, but give yourself a couple of weeks to adapt. Who knows, you may like the change.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
_PhilPicc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2002 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with QuadC as far as keeping the same rim if you are comfortable with it. I have been on the proverbial mouthpiece safari like a lot of us have and I keep returning to what I was playing before. Experiment, but don't change for the sake of change. Who knows you might find something out there super or you might decide to stick with what you have. It still comes down to what you are comfortable with.

Whether I have my ultimate mouthpieces I don't know, but they work for me. I use various Bach 6s with different cups. I might look into different throats and backbores but at least for right now I will stay with what works for me.

Mouthpieces are very individualistic, what works for you might not work for someone else.

Good luck, and try to keep your search as simple as possible. Try not to let confusion reign supreme.
Phil

[ This Message was edited by: PhilPicc on 2002-03-21 00:16 ]
Emb_Enh
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2002 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Information on multiple mpc. usage and why can be found at my webpage here....

http://www.R-o-d-d-y-T-r-u-m-p-e-t.cC/mpc.html

Yours Roddy o-iii<O
Jeff Lambardino

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2002 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-03-20 23:38, Quadruple C wrote:
Hi I Jazz 24 7, You know it can make a difference for some players. I use 1 mouthpiece for all playing, but I primarily play solo work, although some lead work could be done on my current set-up. It is important to keep the same rim that you are currently using and use different cup depths, shapes and backbores. So you could buy a 11/2 D for a little more zip in the sound and a little less work in the upper register. There are many terrific mouthpiece makers out there. Warburton is cool for different combinations. I enjoy playing Monette mouthpieces quite a bit.

[ This Message was edited by: Quadruple C on 2002-03-20 23:39 ]

Some good ideas so far except the advice from Quadruple C is contradictory. His advice to keep the same rim as the 1 1/2 C but then recommends a 1 1/2 D.
This will put the poor guys chops into shock!
The 1 1/2D rim is significantly sharper and a different animal than the rim on the 1 1/2 C.
This is a common trait among Bach mouthpieces for the rims to become narrower,sharper, with more bite every time the cup depth is decreased. The Bach E cups are almost unplayable to most people for this reason.
I speak from personal experience. I see players with these 1 1/2 C and 1 1/2 D models very often and the rims can in no way be considered the same. I also tried this idea when I played those 1 1/2 Bach's many years ago.
My suggestion is to Keep the same rim of the 1 1/2C but try a screw rim set up so that you are assured of keeping the 1 1/2 C rim on a 1 1 1/2 D underpart.
Try the Kanstul Component system with a 1 1/2 C set up with the standard backbore and then experiment with tightening up the backbore by simply changing the blow resistance with a tighter backbore.
This can give you a boost in effiiency without going to a shallower cup.
Just some of your options so have fun in tweaking your equipment just try to do so without upsetting your embouchure with changing rims

Jeff Lambardino

Lead Tpt Buddy Rich Orchestra
Lead Tpt Max Gregor Orchestra
Lead Tpt Slide Hampton (Germany)
Lead Tpt Jiggs Whigam (Germany)
Las Vegas show bands etc.....

[ This Message was edited by: Jeff Lambardino on 2002-03-21 08:55 ]
Andy Cooper
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2002 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you like Curry's version of the 1 1/2 C rim, you are in luck. He maintains the same "bite" in his entire series of 1 1/2 mouthpieces with a variety of cups avaiable as stock models from several mailorder stores.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: