• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

What to do during practice breaks -- Melodica!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
musiclifeline
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2003 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey all,
I just invested some $$ in a Hohner 32-key melodica (they come in 26, 32, and 36 key versions). I plan to use it during those 20-minute stretches between practice sessions... When I used to practice in my apartment, I could sit at my keyboard during breaks and learn new tunes or learn licks/solos on the keyboard to the best of my ability. Now that I practice in the basement of the building where I work, I can't bring my keyboard, so I bought a melodica. What a fantastic solution! It's wind-powered, so I can keep up my airflow, but it doesn't work the chops at all, so I'm not destroying my face in between trumpet practice sessions. There are a few on eBay (I recommend the Hohner... but not the soprano or alto models), or you can find one at your local music store. Don't pay more than $100 for a brand new 36-key version... unless you're super impulsive like me--I paid $110 for mine, but I have it in my hands right now. I think the ones on eBay generally go for $80 to $100. The model I have is the Hohner HM32, aka the "piano 32" model. Go get one!
hazmat
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2003 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What the heck is a melodica? Do you mean a harmonica? LOL cause I know Hohner makes them.
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2003 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Practice??
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
pfrank
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2003 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a melodica a few years ago at a garage sale in Newton MA for $3.00 (where they have too much of everything so yard sales and trash day are fruitful)(I know a guy who got a whole working stereo system put out on the sidewalk for trash in the garden city, Newton) and it's a great double for trumpet. Mine is a Suzuki "melodian" with a very usable mouthpiece hose so you can rest it on your legs to play 2 handed. First time I recorded with it was a revelation--instant Parisian flavor--and as you can blow it to bend notes a little (like harmonica). Very evocatice little instrument!
hazmat
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2003 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. I know what you mean about Newton. All of Mass. is that way. I am from Gardner which is near Leominster, Fitchburg, etc.
musiclifeline
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2003 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only thing I'm finding annoying about the melodica is that there's no open position... if you just blow without pressing anything, nothing comes out. And it takes a lot more air than I thought it would to get four- and five-note chords to sound good. Still very cool though. (and no, hazmat, not a harmonica... lol)
hazmat
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2003 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: