• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

hope I don't make Flip >>> FLIP :)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rich
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2003 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

have been playing this Olds Recording cornet for a couple of days now. Tried my flugel mouthpieces and it really makes it dark and mellow... range very "squashed" once you get above the staff. Whatever mouthpiece I use with it (also have a 10 1/C cornet mpc and found an Olds #3 cornet mpc) I find the little recording has lots of notes that are really off... third space C is a mile sharp.
I have ordered a Sparx #3 to try with it... so we'll see..

BUT, the reason for this post is that I tried my flugel mouthpieces in my WT trumpet... put a couple wraps of clear packing tape around the shank so that it would be tight in the receiver.

WOW... there it is ... dark, mellow, soft, buttery... all notes seem to be in tune ... high range of course is affected somewhat, but when I'm playing standards, I seldom go above top of the staff G... maybe an A ...

so Flip... I'm sorry to do such a thing to one of your wonderful Wild Things... but I am really having fun now. I'm sure I'm not the first to ever try such a crude experiment...

If the WT trumpet can become that dark and buttery... just think how good a top of the line cornet would sound...

I can only imagine at this point. I still have my eyes on the Kanstul 1530 and the WT short cornet. Until then, I'll have to live with my WT and flugel mpc.

WT trumpet + flugel mpc = my cornet

[ This Message was edited by: rich on 2003-11-01 18:04 ]

[ This Message was edited by: rich on 2003-11-01 19:05 ]
pair of kings
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2003 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich - have you missed discussion of the Curry Trumpet/Flugel mouthpieces?

I don't know if you will be happy to have your idea validated - or disappointed that you weren't the first to think of it.

it's basically a shallow trumpet cup that is dumped into a flugel depth cup - with a trumpet shank. Mark has designed it so that it plays easier into the upper register than a regular flugel cup. plays in tune too
rich
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2003 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi PC... well, I may have read it... but don't recall. As you know, in my "quest" for a cornet, I have been experimenting... the little Recording plays ok I guess but I would be very disappointed if a new cornet wasn't much, much better. I'm not that impressed with the Recording... I'll see what that Sparx mpc does for it. And maybe the horn has some other issues.

Anyway, I'll have to check out that mouthpiece... the flugel mpc not only makes a difference on my WT... it is a dramatic difference... to my ears at least.

http://www.stickam.com/wb0wls
rich
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2003 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

off the subject... being from PA I know you have heard the River City Brass... I got to hear them a week ago... I was impressed.

SHS_Trumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2003 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to do that with my WT, sounded a little darker than when I played it with my TF...
pair of kings
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2003 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

".....the little Recording plays ok I guess but I would be very disappointed if a new cornet wasn't much, much better. ..."

one way to find out

I think I have a couple Curry T/F pieces around. either 3 or 60 - I'd have to check.
Far cry from a WT for sure but but that mpce. does pretty well at transforming the sound on my Jupiter Soprano trombone.
BADBOY-DON
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2003 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a old Joe March#$%^&*weitzzzzbro #5 Flugel mouthpiece that Nick Dyson gave me last summer. I have done the same thing by adding alumn. aircraft speed tape to the shank. I too have found that it does give really interesting rich tone...but for some reason the upper register notes seem to really lose their depth and clarity....but hey, for the most part...it plays with a really nice density, especially in the normal bread and butta' range. Pleasently surprised really, just how well it plays in both my C Callet and YTR 739.
but then again...I had had equally good results using an old #5 Besson V cup cornet mp..on my trumpets...utilizing the alumn. tape.
Nice voicing..really...but intonation is weird on some notes and needs a pretty hefty slide pull? Humm?

[ This Message was edited by: BADBOY-DON on 2003-11-03 22:53 ]
BADBOY-DON
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2003 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an old valve trombone mp...that has an interesting sound...when placed in the my old Selmer horn.

Any one try a "Freedom horn mp in a trumpet????Hummm?
rich
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2003 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ordered a couple of Curry TF mpc today... 1 1/2 TF and a 3TF.... will be interesting to see how it sounds with my WT compared to the flugel mpc in the WT.
Hopefully I'll have them by the end of the week... unless they don't have them in stock.

Tried the flugel mpc in my Olds Recording trumpet tonight... same thing... darkened it up... smooth and silky... but not near the smooth and silky it gets on the WT... but I could live with the Olds and the flugel mpc if I had too

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: