• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Introducing "Warm-Up Magic"

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Derek Reaban
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Anybody feeling the "magic" yet?

Rich,

I received the Warm-Up Magic book in August and have been using it every day since it arrived. You have a real gift in communicating important concepts and developing exercises to put these concepts into play on a daily basis. The only thing that I have done differently in my playing for the past 4 months is to use your book for my one session per day (life is very busy with three boys in the middle of school basketball season, so practice time is at a premium). The best word that I can use to describe my progress is simply “Transformative”! I touch on every aspect of playing daily, in a systematic way, using these exercises. I love the Flexibility section (tonguing followed by slurring) directing the player to play softer in the low register and louder in the upper register to encourage an aperture that works efficiently in all registers (this was my danger zone – opening up too much in the low register – and I am able to consciously instill this idea in my daily playing, putting this concept on autopilot when I play in ensembles). I’ve also been doing the compression exercises every session, and just a little has made a huge difference in my approach to the upper register. I’m not working hard at all and the notes up to a G are just popping out! I played a job this weekend with several delicate passages well above the staff, and they were dead-on consistent every time. And with the simple way that you lay out the tonguing drills, my articulation has never been better. Wow!

I’m playing a job with both of my teachers this week (doing the Poulenc Gloria and Bach Christmas Oratorio) with many players from the Phoenix Symphony and it is exciting to know that my playing is consistent and really good!

Thank you so much for putting this material together! I couldn’t be happier with my playing and I owe this exclusively to Warm-Up Magic! (Playing from this book is literally the only thing that I have changed in my playing, so the cause and effect is crystal clear). You do good work!

Last edited by Derek Reaban on Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:17 am; edited 1 time in total
BeboppinFool
Donald Reinhardt Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Derek Reaban wrote:
Thank you so much for putting this material together! I couldn’t be happier with my playing and I owe this exclusively to Warm-Up Magic! (Playing from this book is literally the only thing that I have changed in my playing, so the cause and effect is crystal clear). You do good work!

Thank you, Derek! I really appreciate that and I am inspired by your dedication. Anybody who can follow a “new” warm-up plan on trumpet for four months straight is what I would consider very dedicated and focused. Now, I’m not terribly surprised to hear that your results are positive, because these warm-ups are based on time-tested and proven principles I learned from the late, great Doc Reinhardt.

But you gave me an excellent opportunity to mention that Warm-Up Magic (and everything that Boptism Music Publishing offers) is on sale (20% off) now through New Year’s Day. Just go to this page and you can see all we offer at a great sale price.

Thanks again, Derek!
rick398

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got the dropbox link for this from you tonight. I was looking through it, and I noticed a term in the first section - hooo "breathe response" that I'm not familiar with. Can you shed a little light on it for me? Thanks!
BeboppinFool

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is intended to describe the process of letting the air create the response of the lips while keeping the tongue out of the picture altogether.

Some say "breath attack" but the word "attack" implies a tongued note to many, so "breath response" is the way I chose to describe this process of allowing a note to speak by only using the air and the lips with no tongue involved.

Is that better?
rick398

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I got you now. Thanks for the clarification.
Looking forward to going through it some today when I get home from work.

I've also been searching for a better pre-gig warmup routine, but haven't been overly thrilled with what I've come up with on my own. From what I've read it sounds like this might be the ticket.

Interesting, I never thought to consider tonguing as part of my w/u routine. Up to now, my w/u has been a combination of warming up and "calisthenics". I look forward to the change in routine your book will bring.
juanc
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich, Thank you for writing this book. Last week I ordered Focal Point and Warm-Up Magic but I had practiced more from the Warm-Up Magic, and for the first time in my "trumpet-life" I feel I don't have to think what I have to practice, its a plan very well organized and its simply "magic" for me. The Section 1-Embouchure Response is my favorite, my response has improved dramatically with this section, its simply marvelous. Rich I think you have to change (with all respect) the title of your book because its not only "Warm-Up Magic" its also "Practice Magic" because the materials in this book are for everyone and I know that if I practice this everyday, I'll improve 100%.
Thank you,

juanc
tommy t.
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

juanc wrote:
Rich I think you have to change (with all respect) the title of your book because its not only "Warm-Up Magic" its also "Practice Magic" because the materials in this book are for everyone and I know that if I practice this everyday, I'll improve 100%.

juanc

+1

I'm doing the same thing -- using the exercises and concepts as a daily warm-up and then continuing and using the same stuff as the basis of my range and endurance practice and with surprisingly quick results.

Frankly, I've seen all of this before in other places, but the organization and explanations in "Warm-Up Magic" really made a number of things click for me.

It is also worth noting that Rich is very quick to answer questions about how to apply the material or to clarify any point of confussion. You all see that from his participation here on TH and he also is very good with direct contact.

Tommy T.
BeboppinFool

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, you guys!

The interesting thing (to me) is that with all the choices and/or possibilities you have in the various sections, it's a reasonable assumption that no two people could possibly be doing the exact same set of drills out of this book, yet so far all the reports are that people are making significant progress.

So anybody who thinks this is a "one-size-fits-all" book is absolutely mistaken.

Imagine that! A book where everybody does something different but everybody gets positive results. What are the chances?

Merry Christmas, everybody!
juanc
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Imagine that! A book where everybody does something different but everybody gets positive results. What are the chances?
[quote]

I think there are three books that fits "almost" every trumpet player,
1.Warm-Up Magic
2.Focal Point
3.The Reinhardt Routines

...and the Encyclopedia of the Pivot System, with this "Magic 4" you can't go wrong. But a lesson with a good teacher is invaluable too, of course.

Merry Christmas everybody,

juanc
BeboppinFool

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last chance . . . Warm-Up Magic (and everything that Boptism Music Publishing offers) is on sale (20% off) for the rest of today, New Year’s Day. Just go to this page and you can see all we offer at a great sale price.
Galibardi

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Rich,

I ordered you book 10 days ago. It is very well done, and I like it very much. It became a daily task for me, opening your book. I restarted trumpet in august after a log years of break, and I used to practice the schlossberg to start but now it's your book. Unforntunatly, I barely speak english because I am french but I am looking forward to be in 2 months to see the progresses I'll do. Merci !
BeboppinFool

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Galibardi wrote:
Hey Rich,

I ordered you book 10 days ago. It is very well done, and I like it very much. It became a daily task for me, opening your book. I restarted trumpet in august after a log years of break, and I used to practice the schlossberg to start but now it's your book. Unforntunatly, I barely speak english because I am french but I am looking forward to be in 2 months to see the progresses I'll do. Merci !

Merci, mon ami!

I, too, used to practice out of the Schlossberg book and while it yielded some short-term benefits, it didn't bring about the kind of embouchure transformation my chops needed.

Warm-Up Magic is based on the principles I learned from Dr. Donald S. Reinhardt who actually studied with old man Schlossberg way back in the day. Coincidentally, Reinhardt didn't get the embouchure transformation his chops needed either.

Anyway, I appreciate your post, Félix, and hope that after two months you'll experience the kind of embouchure transformation that so many others have attested to as a result of applying the principles embedded in this book.
Blancolate
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just ordered the book! After doing Warm up #57 every day since you gave it to me 21 years ago with great results I figured this book is an expansion on a great idea!

I am at the point where the only practice books I have on my stand are all yours.............but I am going to need more stands really soon!

Thanks for all the work that goes into each book!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: