• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Continuing a Callet forum on the TH

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jerome Callet
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trumpetteacher1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2003 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello all,

I understand what has happened here, although I don't necessarily agree with it.

And while I wish Lee well (and plan to regularly visit his site) I still feel that the TH is kind of "naked" without a Callet forum.

Maybe this is a selfish desire on my part, but there are too many contributors to this forum who I have come to respect and admire to just let it all go someplace else. Part of my TH experience is a look at the Callet forum. And darn it, I like the TH format better than any other forum.

Ole mentioned that having more than one Callet forum will cause confusion. Is that really true? It seems to me that it would simply be another resource for trumpeters looking for information. How good of resource it is would depend on those that contribute.

I believe that the current thinking of the powers-that-be is to start a new Callet forum from scratch with a new moderator (as yet to be determined, but for sure not me) and return it to public status. With the new TH editing policy, I don't think that out-of-control arguments here are going to be much of a factor anymore.

What do you think?

Jeff Smiley
David
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2003 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree Jeff, I really miss seeing it here. I also like your use of "Callet" as the forum name - I joined after "TCE" and "SC" is so "old school"

Seriously, this is the best trumpet resource on the web and to have it lose something as important as Callet's teaching diminishes it.
trumpetherald
System Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2003 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Callet forum is certainly going to continue. Whether or not the old posts are restored is going to depend on the feeling of the SM's, the new Callet moderator, and myself. The entire thing is backed up, naturally.

Stay tuned, we should have a clearer idea of what will happen in a few days.

Best wishes,

TD
LeeC
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2003 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff, we need you (or someone like you) to run the forum! I don't know if you have enough time to manage all of the work you do and still keep an eye on all of us, but your support is very welcome.

No need to be modest here.

Lee
Jerry Freedman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2003 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like the Callet forum to continue here. I'd like it to be open as is the Reinhardt, Caruso, Stamp etc

J. Freedman
Dave Converse
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2003 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, Jeff. I'm in, too. Dave
trumpetteacher1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2003 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lee,

No modesty regarding this. Kyle is the man here, and we all know it. I am flat-out not qualified.

I'm crossing my fingers that Kyle is willing to continue.

Really good guys on this forum! Thanks to all for sounding off.

Jeff
oj
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2003 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I see some problems here Jeff (as you mentioned above).

TH has been going for quite some time now and when people try to find out about the teaching of Carmine Caruso, they look in the Caruso Forum. But there is also another Caruso Forum:

http://www.trumpetplayeronline.com/bbs/

Also a Bill Adam Forum can be found here (so the forum here on TH is not the only one).

The Caruso Forum on TH has (when I write this) 298 topics, the TPO has only 20 topics. "Content is King" as we say, so the Forum with the best content will be preferred. Pat Harbinson (PH) is moderator of the TPO Caruso Forum, Charly Raymond (bugleboy) is the moderator here. Both students of Caruso. This indicate that both forums have a great potential.

If we have two Callet Forums, one moderated by Kyle here on TH and another moderated by Lee Adams, both will be students of Callet. Like the two Caruso Forums, the two Callet Forums will be in good hands.

This is, IMO not the problem (the "good hands") and for most people (the lurkers) it will not be a problem having to look in several places. But for us posting and taking part in the discussions it will be. I would personally have to choose where to participate. Life is too short to "spread the chops"

As I understand from Lee, he wants to enhance the new forum, adding MP3 files etc. This is a great thing. Perhaps we can have some really good sound samples of SC/TCE exercises (from spit buzz to the most advanced exercises). Even some video clips?

It is so easy to set up a BBS like TH and TPO these days. The risk is that good forums will begin "forking" (as we say in computing).

Ole
Bill
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2003 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kyle seems to be a very good choice for Moderator. While we have disagreed on some issues in the past Kyle's posts and responses have always seemed to be very level headed, non-contentious, polite and filled with facts.

While not a Callet SC player I am very interested in Jerry, his horns and teachings. I have spent a little time with him in Evansville a couple years ago and found him to an engaging personality.

It would be a shame to see him go away from the TH.

Once again I would heartily support Kyle Schmeer for Callet Forum Moderator.

Bill

Wilmington Big Band
Artistry In Jazz Big Band
Snake Malone and the Black Cat Bone Blues Band
trumpetteacher1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2003 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ole,

You seem to be saying that the forum with the most posts will be preferred by the majority of posters.

All I can say is, there are several other important factors which influence my internet choices, including the quality of advice posted (and how articulate it is), the convienience of reaching the information, the readability and usefulness of the forum software format, and the intent of the moderator.

I've looked around, OLE. TH is, and will apparently continue to be, the destination of choice for those that are interested in the highest quality of trumpet advice. To NOT have Callet's ideas represented here is wacky.

The "forking" that you are talking about has already happened. Lee decided to leave, which he was free to do. But to allow that to dictate to the Trumpet Herald what it's choices now are, is plain wrong, especially since TH created the environment where those posts were shared in the first place! Suppose that Charly decided to move the Caruso to a private location. My response would be the same - wish him well, but actively work to get another Caruso moderator and stay the course. (Charly is not leaving; it was merely an example)

I think that there is room in this world for more than one good Callet forum. Speaking strictly for myself, I will have no problem posting on either one, without getting confused or spread too thin.

Jeff

[ This Message was edited by: trumpetteacher1 on 2003-11-02 10:32 ]
Mr.Hollywood
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2003 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why doesn't somebody ask Jerry Callet himself to be moderator?

Now that its no longer the "superchops" forum, wouldn't it be logical that he should moderate a forum that bears his name?

Maybe Kyle could ask him.

Chris
trumpetherald
System Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2003 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've spoken several times with Jerome about this forum. That might be an option down the road. Until then, though, we have some other options.

More soon, I hope.

TD
pair of kings
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2003 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would support Kyle as moderator. of the posts I've read, it appears he is extremely knowledgable and willing to share his expertise in a way that is helpful and easy to understand.
oj
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2003 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good post Jeff.

I hope Kyle will take on the job as moderator for this "new" Jerome Callet Forum.

As I understand Todd, all the posts here will be activated again.

That will bring the total number of posts up again for some of us.
I almost dropped from Veteran Member to Regular Member when my posts in the SC Forum dissapeared

Ole

P.S.
Jeff said on TPIN that I'm a "recent Callet convert". Well I don't look at it that way. His great book, The Balanced Embouchure, helped me develop a more effective way of playing. That was the major break for me. The tonguing found in TCE was then the next logic step.
trumpetherald
System Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2003 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

As I understand Todd, all the posts here will be activated again.

That decision hasn't been made yet. We'll see what develops.

TD
BeboppinFool
Donald Reinhardt Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2003 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that all the posts that can be recovered ought to be recovered and placed back here where they belong. The trumpet world needs to have all these popular approaches represented . . . what works for one person doesn't always work for others, and our different learning styles make it even more important for us to have choices.

If Jeff Smiley or Kyle Schmeer don't step forward to moderate this forum, I would like to propose that it be moderated by a group of frequent posters from the old Super Chops forum.

Rich

Edited in the interest of world peace among trumpeters.

[ This Message was edited by: BeboppinFool on 2003-11-05 10:04 ]
histrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today's weather is as follows.....

A high of 85 degrees is expected with cloudy to partly cloudy skies. Wednesday night lows are expected to be in the mid 60's with a slight chance of rain. Tomorrow expect much of the same with more of the usual. Nothing really changes here except the weather. Super Chops Rules!!!!

Bruce Donnelly and a host of others.

[ This Message was edited by: histrumpet on 2003-11-05 15:36 ]
Lex Grantham
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel it is very important to have a knowledgeable person/s on any topic that can assist an individual in understanding the various aspects of said topic. We all have heard of the 'Aha' that one can get because someone said something a little different than before, and the old lightbulb starts to glow.

Basically, the concepts of SC/TSE appear manageable through persistent patience and practice, but getting there is not always really easy for some players...better for others.

Whomever is chosen for this forum could be of great help if he/she were well-skilled in the techniques.

Sincerely,

Lex Grantham
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jerome Callet All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: