• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Soft High Notes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Don Lee
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2002 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played in high school and college, but played with (as I have come to find out) an open embouchure and of course suffered from poor range and excessive pressure.

Well, by virture of the the internet, books by Callet, the Tastee Bros., Jeff Smiley and Clint McLaughlin (very highly recommended) and of course the Trumpet Herald, I've managed to develop a closed embouchure setting. The tone is erratic and at times falls apart, but I can with very little pressure squeak out G's and even C's above high C.

Developing a closed set was very difficult for me. I tried everything, but what finally did it for me was to start with a closed setting and not tongue to start a note, but just blow air. Everytime I stopped the air flow, I made sure my lips were still closed. I did this many, many times.

The high notes came when I moved my lower jaw forward so that my lips were inline, but most importantly set in such a way that I could apply even pressure with both lips as I went up. If my upper lip overlaps my lower even slightly I lose my range. The lower lip is somewhat supported by my teeth with the upper lip compressed down and towards the center. Corners are loose and brought slightly in to the center.

In my case, my lower jaw moves forward so that my lower teeth are a little in front of my upper teeth. Not a big chin bunch, but definately
not a flat chin.

I'm sort of feeling out a completely new setup and am not trying to develop performance range, but rather just get the feeling of a new way of playing. I am playing softly and using very little amounts of air, but trying to get the buzz to be very focused and small in the center of my lips. No music, no tonguing, mostly slurs.

I can increase the volume level, but find it difficult to get the high notes very loud. My question is, are these soft high notes "real" and can they become louder with practice? Or are they some sort of "false" high notes?

They seem to feel legit as I can slur up to them from a low C (and back down), but since I've never been there before its all new to me.

Any thoughts you might have would be greatly apprecieated!

Thanks,

Don Lee
Emb_Enh
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2002 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don Lee wrote....

>>>"My question is, are these soft high notes "real"

....YES...but...make sure you are suporting them with PLENTY of air don't be afraid to play a little louder possibly as long as you are keeping mpc. pressure to a minimum...use the air to defend the lip against the mpc. pressure.

>>>"and can they become louder with practice?''

.....YES ....Leon MERIAN suggests HISSSSSing to play higher/ louder and I think this is a good visualisation aid....again be aware that you are'nt increasing mpc. pressure at any time...rest frequently.

>>>"They seem to feel legit as I can slur up to them from a low C (and back down), but since I've never been there before its all new to me."

...it may be worth staying away from big intervals for a while so as to consolidate your new closed ''newbie''...buy the Vincent Cichowicz book called Trumpet Flow studies..you can get it from..

http://www.tulsaband.com

..this will help you keep the air flow ''up'' for the middle register...low c - high c ...

then when you feel you are getting the hang of it....get a kids book..something like Studies and melodious etudes for cornet bk 1 or soething similar and begin to put this up the octave....

If you feel like you need more advice such as this feel free to email me....

WELL DONE!!!!!

Roddy o-iii<O

http://www.R-o-d-d-y-T-r-u-m-p-e-t.cC

Email Trumpet lessons...

http://www.R-o-d-d-y-T-r-u-m-p-e-t.cC/sounds.html
evolution
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2002 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thx for the story and the - as always - excellent reply. Sounds similar to the way I went to increase my range. The closed setting - in my case SC - was the solution to jump above high C without excessive muscletension and mpc.pressure and a great, fat sound. Couldn't believe the moments when the trumpet- sunbeam lights on you and you can play soft and effortless to G above high C. Now I try to make the sun shine as often as possible. And my range gets more constant With the closed setting I don't have to use so much muscles and muscle tension as I thought I had to, playing with a pucker-smile-mixture. The center lip-pressure upper lip against lower lip provides the necessary resistance so you don't need excessive mpc.pressure anymore. With an open throat, vibrating lips in a relaxed but/and closed setting, the right tongue-level and the airsupport from the abdomen the high C is an easy tone. A great invention that I made some time ago, especially 'cause I am completely self-taught.
Greatest Trumpeter
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2002 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the tone I get with the an open embouchure and therefor use it often, even at range. I do "pucker up" but the tone just isn't there.

"So live that you can look any man in the eye and tell him to go to hell." -Anon
Mark Heuer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2002 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don Lee,

Your story is almost identical to mine. Keep up the good work. We both are becoming more efficient players.

Mark
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: