• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

High note question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dave

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2002 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a couple questions...

I wonder how high one should be able to play on the mouthpiece (w/o trumpet) The reason I ask is that my range seems to be about the same on the trumpet as on the mouthpiece.

I am solid up to a high C or D depending on the day. I can play these at any dynamic in tune with style all day etc... I practice daily (semi pro - jazz soloist/H.S. Band Director). When I use more pressure I get a couple more notes but they don't often show up on my parts in gigs etc.. and pressure playing is just not for me.

That being said. I still want to get to the extreme high range just for fun because I love the sound! I don't want to mess with my chops etc... because I do play well with what I have. It just seems to me that there is something that I am missing. Any thoughths?

Somthing else... Sometimes I just go through the slots and find myself on double Eb and even double G. They are much more than scrathes and squeaks. They sound like real notes. But they are gone as quickly as they came.
Quadruple C
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2002 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[ This Message was edited by: Quadruple C on 2003-10-01 15:01 ]
SchilkeB1

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2002 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi dave,

What has been helping me over the last few months developing my range up to the high F that you need for the Clarke solos is giving the note a good strong tongue. For me, the slurring can get you up there, but you're chops "forget" exactly where this the note is. Tongueing helps reinforce exactly where the particular note is on the horn so its easier to find next time.

Matt
tom turner
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2002 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dave,

Being a H.S. Band Director and trumpet player, I'd recommend that you get Jeff Smiley's breakthrough new method "The Balanced Embouchure!"

Jeff has written such a wonderful book that I believe will go down as a real milestone in trumpet embouchure development. With you being a band director I believe you will get really excited when you read it, for it CLEARLY teaches how each player can find, and develop their perfect "balanced embouchure!"

Along with the book is included a CD made with his middle and high school students demonstrating the correct "sound" on the written exercises in the book. These kids are from 12-17 and some exercises go to the G above high C if I recall. It's nice to hear young students playing with wonderful range and tone using this method!!!

Jeff also is developing stuff for teachers too!!!

You may want to contact Jeff and discuss what he is doing out in Texas!

Jeff's website is: http://www.trumpetteacher.net and his e-mail is: Trumpetteacher1@aol.com

You can also order Jeff's material from Bruce Lee of NorthernBrass.com

Good luck . . . and your students will thank you too!!!

Sincerely,

Tom Turner
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: