• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

New offer from Getzen

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Getzen
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad,

I don't think you had to delete you post. I don't want you to get that impression from me. In all honesty, I agree with your point. No apology was needed.

On a side note, the cases just came in today and I'm very impressed. They look great! Super protective, great quality, and they are light. Best of all, they are made in Minnesota. This is a match made in Upper Midwest heaven.

Brett Getzen

Follow Getzen on:
Facebook https://www.facebook.com/getzencompany/

Twitter https://twitter.com/GetzenCompany

If you have a question please feel free to email me at brett@getzen.com.
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getzen wrote:
Brad,

I don't think you had to delete you post. I don't want you to get that impression from me. In all honesty, I agree with your point. No apology was needed.

On a side note, the cases just came in today and I'm very impressed. They look great! Super protective, great quality, and they are light. Best of all, they are made in Minnesota. This is a match made in Upper Midwest heaven.

Brett Getzen

Brett,

Not to belabor this, but in retrospect, my post may have come across as a bit persnickety, and that was not my intent. So all's well that ends well, right?

On a side note to your side note: I've used a Torpedo for about five years, they ARE great. And, the other trumpet player in the band I play with uses an older Eterna, I'm considering trying a Getzen when I'm ready for another horn purchase. The Genesis has always looked like an especially interesting model.

Best of luck with your holiday promotion, from a transplanted (Chicago area....Waukegan to be exact) Midwesterner in Texas!

Brad361
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pfeifela wrote:
.....could I get a Torpedo bag with Kiku Collins in it and a poster with some shots of the Proteus

So Brett, have you worked out the details on this yet?
Getzen
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the first orders for the new package have shipped out. If you are interested act fast.

Some are on the way to:

The Horn Shop – Fresno, CA
www.thehornshop.com

Melk Band Inst. – Milwaukee
www.melkmusic.com

The Band House – Shreveport, LA and Texarkana, TX
www.thebandhouse.com

Brett Getzen

Follow Getzen on:

Capt.Kirk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought it was tasteful and ok since it was not selling the product or being used too heavy as a marketing tool. Like someone else said if not here where? I will say this though it opens up the add to a lot of legitimate questions that he might not care to answer on a public forum?!

Living in Union country the name of the package rings or stinks depending on how you see it like Union Propaganda "Buy American" add copy.... I sure it is not meant to sound that way but that is how it comes off to me at least.

I love Getzens valve assemblies and I like a lot of their products I recommend the Proteus all the time and the 3051 all the time!!!! My main complaint would be price!!!!!!!!!!!!! Tired of the chocked retail market and the artificial limits on price that can be advertised. I am still waiting for Domestic's to offer me a high end product at the price point I can get CarolBrass at. I am still waiting for all the options and flexible custom ordering at the modest price point of CarolBrass. I am guessing I can not get this "All American" package for $1300 out the door like I could a CarolBrass 5200 in silver with their leather case???

No one would even consider paying 2x-3x as much for an outdated American Made rear projection TV over a modern LCD 1080P at 1/2-1/3 the price made in China. I think it is silly to expect the market to support higher prices just to get something made in America. This is not 1950's America or even 1980's America for that matter.

I do like the attempt at added value by kitting it out with the excellent case and the CD. It is a good idea and step in the right direction but it is too little too late at this point. A larger effort is going to be needed then this to reverse the market trend in new horn sales. Even if distributors kept buying at ever better price point at some point they have to be able to unload them. Even expanding into new markets will not be enough at this point with out a new business plan with modern marketing and revamped product line and catalog etc.....Too many beginning models and intermediate models competing with each other and in many case's the intermediate line is competing with your pro level horns.

I am guessing only guessing that Getzen is still on the bubble and still able to sell more then they can make especially in some models in silver aimed at H.S. Band students. It is not going to last forever!!! In the next 4 years you will see Jimmy Carter levels of inflation and your price for silver is going to get insane. Never mind gold what do you do when you can not afford to market a horn in silver? Anyone in the shop thought about that problem yet?

Again nice looking product, nice add layout, fantastic case to include!!! It is all the other stuff I have problems with!
TrumpetMD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chuck in ny wrote:
getzen makes good stuff and that's all there is to it.
very exciting brett and the best of luck.
..chuck

Worth repeating.

I own 4 Getzen horns. Great instruments and a great company. I always appreciate Brett's posts and his participation here.

Mike
Plus a few other Bach, Getzen, Olds, Carol, HN White, and Besson horns.
chuck in ny
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kirk
i'm willing to go the extra freight for american made. street price on the 3051 is something near 2k and it makes me feel good to own american manufacture and have supported workers in our country. we can't abandon manufacturing. it's one of the things that make us, us.
buying trumpets isn't like a low income person going to the supermarket with coupons. there are important emotional and spiritual elements to the transaction. my two WT instruments have the ghost of foster reynolds running through their DNA and the spirit of zig kanstul and flip oakes in their brass.
never seen him but i guarantee you brett getzen isn't some huge fat dude with a cigar stuck in his mouth. live and let live. a getzen trumpet costs 2k to 3k for a very good reason. it's worth it.
would you like to have someone put your funding under the microscope and see how much more efficient and lean life could be?
..chuck
TrumpetMD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Capt.Kirk wrote:
I love Getzens valve assemblies and I like a lot of their products I recommend the Proteus all the time and the 3051 all the time!!!! My main complaint would be price!!!!!!!!!!!!! Tired of the chocked retail market and the artificial limits on price that can be advertised. I am still waiting for Domestic's to offer me a high end product at the price point I can get CarolBrass at.

You get what you pay for.

I own a Carol Brass pocket trumpet. I love the horn, and play it often at work, where portability is important.

It's a great horn ... for a low-priced instrument. But it doesn't compare in quality to my Getzen horns or my Bach trumpets.

Mike
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chuck in ny wrote:
kirk
i'm willing to go the extra freight for american made. street price on the 3051 is something near 2k and it makes me feel good to own american manufacture and have supported workers in our country. we can't abandon manufacturing. it's one of the things that make us, us.
buying trumpets isn't like a low income person going to the supermarket with coupons. there are important emotional and spiritual elements to the transaction. my two WT instruments have the ghost of foster reynolds running through their DNA and the spirit of zig kanstul and flip oakes in their brass.
never seen him but i guarantee you brett getzen isn't some huge fat dude with a cigar stuck in his mouth. live and let live. a getzen trumpet costs 2k to 3k for a very good reason. it's worth it.
would you like to have someone put your funding under the microscope and see how much more efficient and lean life could be?
..chuck

Good points. And we are not talking about an absolute life-sustaining necessity here, it's a musical instrument. For example, most Americans NEED a car, and most buy one, new or used. It's not really the same as a musical instrument. Sure, we "need" trumpets, but probably not to the degree that we need a car, food, clothing, housing, etc. And let's say that guys like Brett ARE "fat cats" (which I certainly do not believe), and are getting rich. So what? We have a free enterprise system here, and no one HAS to buy any particular brand of horn. I have this same opinion when I hear Dave Monette being bashed about the price of his horns and mouthpieces. I own four Monette mouthpieces, happen to like how they play. Would it be nice if their cost was about half? For me the buyer, sure, but it is what it is, and no one is forcing me or anyone else to buy one. If Kirk believes that Carol horns are every bit as well made and play as well as a _______, he should probably buy one. I've never played one, have heard good things like most of us have, and would like to try one.

And BTW C.K., have you PLAYED a Carol Brass trumpet? If so, SPECIFICALLY what do you like about them? (****chirping crickets**** ).

Brad361
Getzen
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love it when someone with absolutely no knowledge in regards to production costs and profit margins makes the argument that we need to lower our prices to meet those of imported instruments in order to sell horns. I am not going to go into details here, but material costs are a small portion of the overall production cost on a trumpet. Everything else is overhead in the form of labor (wages & benefits), regulatory compliance, utility costs, etc...

If you are expecting an American manufacturer to compete on cost with a manufacturer from China you are asking for the impossible. What are their labor costs? What benefits do they offer their employees? What environmental and workplace safety regulations are they under? There is a reason manufacturing jobs fled to Asia. Hourly wages are nothing. There is no benefit structure. Environmental/Safety regulations are all but non-existent. It is impossible for me to compete with that kind of cost structure.

Believe me, I wish I was a fat cat sitting back lighting cigars with $100 bills. I'm not... not by a long shot.

Brett Getzen

Follow Getzen on:

Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getzen wrote:
I love it when someone with absolutely no knowledge in regards to production costs and profit margins makes the argument that we need to lower our prices to meet those of imported instruments in order to sell horns. I am not going to go into details here, but material costs are a small portion of the overall production cost on a trumpet. Everything else is overhead in the form of labor (wages & benefits), regulatory compliance, utility costs, etc...

If you are expecting an American manufacturer to compete on cost with a manufacturer from China you are asking for the impossible. What are their labor costs? What benefits do they offer their employees? What environmental and workplace safety regulations are they under? There is a reason manufacturing jobs fled to Asia. Hourly wages are nothing. There is no benefit structure. Environmental/Safety regulations are all but non-existent. It is impossible for me to compete with that kind of cost structure.

Believe me, I wish I was a fat cat sitting back lighting cigars with $100 bills. I'm not... not by a long shot.

Brett Getzen

I think one of the reasons that many of us here value the input of guys like Brett is that in addition to being helpful to us trumpet players, we get accurate info from someone who actually DOES what certain members (who shall remain nameless.....beam me up Scotty.....) like to pretend they have knowledge about.

And I still contend that this is a free market. No one is being forced to buy anything from Getzen, Bach / Selmer, Yamaha, Monette or any other maker. If someone feels that brand ________ trumpet is over priced, don't buy it.

Brad361
Getzen
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All that aside, another dealer is getting a package.

Groth Music in Bloomington, MN
http://www.grothmusic.com/

Brett Getzen

Follow Getzen on:

razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getzen wrote:

If you are expecting an American manufacturer to compete on cost with a manufacturer from China you are asking for the impossible. What are their labor costs? What benefits do they offer their employees? What environmental and workplace safety regulations are they under?

Not only that, but from the sheer capitalism side of things, Getzen horns are just plain BETTER. The market has voted that they are WORTH more. Nationalistic pride aside, there are very specific reasons for this:

skilled people, doing quality work, at every stage.

It's also interesting to note that a ton of Getzen's production has been shipped to Japan, where a certain other major manufacturer makes a few things. Hopefully the demand for Getzen keeps up!
Redhothorn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How long is this package deal being offered?
TrumpetMD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

razeontherock wrote:
It's also interesting to note that a ton of Getzen's production has been shipped to Japan....

Not sure this is true.

Getzen recently used a tongue-in-cheek approach to dismiss a similar claim.

http://www.getzen.com/gazette/2010/12/13/elkhorn-wisconsin-no-longer-a-part-of-the-united-states/

An excerpt from the above link.... "The fact is we pride ourselves on the fact that all Getzen instruments are manufactured in the US. In an industry riding the wave of outsourcing, it is a badge of honor to be part of a very small group of manufacturers holding strong to our roots."

Mike
JonathanPhillips

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by JonathanPhillips on Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TrumpetMD wrote:
razeontherock wrote:
It's also interesting to note that a ton of Getzen's production has been shipped to Japan....

Not sure this is true.

I guess I could've written that better. I never meant to imply anything Getzen was made anywhere other than about 45 minutes from where I sit in WI; just that Getzen products are SOLD to Japan. I think that is a HUGE statement to their quality and value!
TrumpetMD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

razeontherock wrote:
I guess I could've written that better.

No problem. Thanks for the clarification.

Mike
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: