• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Designing the ultimate cornet ?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BADBOY-DON
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2003 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote]
On 2003-11-02 21:30, tom turner wrote:
Quote:

On 2003-11-02 07:05, Geri wrote:
I've often wondered why no one (to my knowledge) has tried to duplicate the Boston 3-star cornet. If it's supposed to be so great then just make a copy of it (ala the Zeus-Strad technique).

Hi,

I own two Boston 3-Stars (the later fixed leadpipe, low pitched ones that are so fantastic).

The 3-Star is a "lightweight" cornet, with very thin metal and super-fast response. The tone is compact, focused and gorgeous--a gentle, rich sound with a slight hint of brightness added to it's solid core. It can be played with great control at a whisper, and a great one will slot very, very well to double C. Bore is .480
==================================================Tom!
TAKE GOOD CARE OF MY BOSTON 3 STAR for me? Just razzin' n' jazzin.
Just heard from Jon Pugh and without a doubt you have some really fine cornets.
Jonathan Pugh is truly a Cornet-a-holic of the most dedicated kind. There truly is something unseen.....why a cornet just seems to help open an avenue into a brass players mind that our allows our souls to soar and sing with a betta' voice?
Why is that??? Any ideas....Tom n' all us cornet-a-holics everywhere?
plp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BBD, to answer your question, in my opinion it is because you get more response out of a cornet, and it creates a more intimate relationship between player and equipment. The trumpets I favor are the ones that share similarities with cornets, regardless of make or brand.
radial
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2003 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perfect features for a cornet?
Here's one. A slide between the bell and the valve cluster that allows you to tune any note. A friend of mine has one that was modified with one of these and it is very slick.
GordonH
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2003 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I already have the perfect cornet (wedgwood).

.472 bore
Removable bell (you could get others if you wanted).
Almost no blowing resistance (play on it all day if you like with very little fatigue).
Huge dynamic range (so YOU can decide what it sounds like depending on how you blow into it)
http://www.hudson.nu/trumpet/instruments.html

I have had this since the beginning of the year and play it every day.
I could have had ANY cornet (I considered Monette as an option but too difficult to get to play on one)

The only thing is that if you wanted to buy one of these it might be difficult.
There was a 4 month wait for mine and he physically cant make that many each year as they are hand made.
Also if you are in the USA the exchange rate is not at all favourable.
I paid about 10% more for mine than I would have done for a Schilke but I think if you export them to the USA it works out like double the price due to the poor state of the dollar against the pound.

I have a sovereign large bore and the wedgie is in a different league.

Having said that, the Wild Thing and the Lawler look promising based on their bore and taper combinations.

Gordon
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: