• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

GR Reverse Engineering

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Leedplyr

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2002 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since there is a huge Monette following here, I was wondering how this thought would go over.
I have heard and read many times that GR "reverse engineered" someone's mouthpiece and got fantastic results while keeping the same feel as the original mouthpiece. Since GR deals with numbers and can calculate blow resistance and all that, I am thinking of having him reverse engineer one of my Monette mouthpieces. I would get him to make it the same length, outside shape, same rim and cup, but make it play better. There are some issues I am not totally happy with using my Monette. It has a tendancy to have a dead sound. That is my take so please don't jump on me for that comment!
Gold plating would be cool and of course custom engraving..all that fun stuff!

I know that Monette basically makes his mouthpieces the old fashioned way by hand and does not use the science that GR does. Nor does he have all the fancy lathes. There are machining scratches in my Monette, something that should not be present in a $200.00 mouthpiece.
What do you all think of having GR's science and computer lathes applied to Monette's design? That would eliminate the anxiety of wanting to try a GR but not being sure of which one to try. It should feel the same as the original Monette. The price would be about the same as a brand new Monette but would combine the latest science of GR with the Monette concepts of mouthpiece design. I'm quite excited about this and I think I am going to jump in and try it.
If you wish, send me an e-mail regarding this subject. If 20 guys all want the same Monette mouthpiece reverse engineered, we may be able to get a deal!!
C. Revas
JonKratzer
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2002 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a HUGE advocate and very close to Gary. I'm certain Gary would be tickled to work with you. He'd did for Doc Sev, my teacehr John Almeida, Paul Butcher and so many others. His mouthpieces are absolutely magnificent and they produce sounds with ease like no other!
Go for it, Gary is unmistakebly on the top of his game.
IMO, their isnt anything out there better.
Best Luck!
Jon
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: