• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Lacquer spots on bell bead - normal wear or fault?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Qnaza
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 10:15 am    Post subject: Lacquer spots on bell bead - normal wear or fault? Reply with quote

Hi all, I wondered if anyone knew anything about this, it's on my 8310Z.

It's a lovely horn and these markings have been on it since I bought it second hand several years ago. Is this just some normal occurrence which is purely cosmetic? In the few years it's not got any worse, so I'm not concerned about it, just curious.

I can't work out how to embed pics (laugh at me but please don't pity me...I couldn't bear that) so here's the link to Flickr:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/44668080@N03/8707127433/in/photostream

Thanks for any of your thoughts
Adam V
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fault

Marcinkiewicz E3/3C
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if that's "normal", but if it was my several year old horn, that I bought used to begin with, I don't think I would be very concerned or do anything about it.

But, we have many good repair techs on here, I suspect someone will chime in with a more qualified opinion.

Brad361
klaus_o

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like acid bleed from the rim wire. Had a Bach 37 bell that did that. It won't get any worse. Just looks lousy.
KansasTrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: Lacquer spots on bell bead - normal wear or fault? Reply with quote

Qnaza wrote:
Hi all, I wondered if anyone knew anything about this, it's on my 8310Z.

It's a lovely horn and these markings have been on it since I bought it second hand several years ago. Is this just some normal occurrence which is purely cosmetic? In the few years it's not got any worse, so I'm not concerned about it, just curious.

I can't work out how to embed pics (laugh at me but please don't pity me...I couldn't bear that) so here's the link to Flickr:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/44668080@N03/8707127433/in/photostream

Thanks for any of your thoughts

These are in fact acid bleeds. Only way to fix it is to remove the lacquer and refinish that area or the whole horn. Some manufactureres recommend piking a hole in the lacquer in the middle of the acid bleed to prevent it from spreading any further. However, if its reached the point where it has stopped growing, that wouldn't be necessary.

This is a problem that is related to manufacturing and not anything YOU did as the owner. This is extremely common on Bach instruments. I have seen it on Yamahas, but not as often. There quality control is pretty high. If the horn is less than 5 years old, I believe they will fix it or replace it for free.

www.DQsCustomShop.com

Find me on Facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Del-Quadro-Custom-Trumpets/188607601169514
Qnaza
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers guys, gotta love TH!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: