• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Olds 1948 Studio or 1949 Ambassador

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MaynardProdigy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2003 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which one would bay over 200 for??

Silver/Gold Bach Stad 43
81' MF ST-302
51' Olds Super (LA)
631 Yamaha Flugel
***Working on***
Yamaha Xeno
Martin Committee
valvepimp
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2003 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would have to be one pristine LA Ambassador to fetch over $200, whereas an LA Studio in less than great condition would almost certainly reach the $200 mark. In decent condition the Studio would sell for over $300.
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2003 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditto what valvepimp said!

00 Schilke S22
77 LA Benge 5X
63 Burbank Benge C

"It's what we think we know that keeps us from knowing"
jhatpro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2003 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's another perspective:

According to the inflation-adjusted price guide on Alan Rouse's Olds Central site, a 1947 Ambassador would sell today for $930 and a Studio for $1,464.

FYI, I paid $139 for a 1948 Ambassador. I sent it to Cliff Blackburn for some repairs and a new, Louisville leadpipe, and I had the valves rebuilt. Now, in the opinion of those who've tried it it, the horn plays as well as any number of modern pro horns. And it still cost less than what I would have paid for it in inflation-adjusted dollars back when it was new.

As to which of the two horns you mention would be the one to go for, I'd pick the one that's in the best shape, looking especially at the valves. Also keep in mind that the Studio is likely to play brighter.

"The notes are there - find them.” Mingus

2021 Martinus Geelan Custom
2005 Bach 180-72R
1965 Getzen Eterna Severinsen
1946 Conn Victor
1998 Scodwell flugel
1986 Bach 181 cornet
1954 Conn 80A cornet
2002 Getzen bugle
jazzartizt1742
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2003 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if u're gonna get an old's get a Super or Recording better for the money unless you're playing lead and want a bright projecting sound then definately get the Studio.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
valvepimp
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2003 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bright, free-blowing Studio is true of the Los Angeles and early Fullerton models, but it should be noted, however, that as of 1966 Olds totally reworked the concept of their Studio model, rendering it a dark, sonorous, cornet-like trumpet finished in nickel plate and offering a degree of resistance to the blow. It wasn't anywhere near as successful in this configuration as it was in its former configuration, and Olds dropped the Studio from their line entirely in the early 70s. Their most consistent trumpet seems to be their ubiquitous Super which was always a great sounding trumpet, no matter what the year.

[ This Message was edited by: valvepimp on 2003-11-08 19:29 ]

[ This Message was edited by: valvepimp on 2003-11-08 19:30 ]
plankowner110
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2003 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That nickel-plated model Olds STUDIO trumpet from the late 60s that Valvepimp mentioned above was not a great horn. In my opinion, it was a cheap attempt by Olds to offer an all-silver-looking trumpet at a reasonable price for high school players who wished for a King Silver Flair or a Schilke! The STUDIO even had octagonal valve caps similar to a Schilke and a first valve trigger as found on the King Silver Flair! The case was very "sixties looking": brown formed fiberglass with stylish cylindrical latches. The nickel STUDIO was dropped from the Olds line when they introduced the bright silver SUPERSTAR trumpet, which was priced in the same slot as the STUDIO (second horn up from the Ambassador.)
https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=26763
valvepimp
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2003 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2003-11-09 11:55, plankowner110 wrote:
The nickel STUDIO was dropped from the Olds line when they introduced the bright silver SUPERSTAR trumpet, which was priced in the same slot as the STUDIO (second horn up from the Ambassador.)

Wasn't the Special still always the second horn up from the Ambassador? Do you know if it was priced higher than the Superstar? For that matter, what about the price of the Special as compared to the nickel Studio? Which cost more? At some point towards the late 70s Olds made their Special in silver plate, and stopped making the tri-color eye catching beauty we knew from the 60s. They also gave it standard spit valves in lieu of the more familiar trombone style spit valves.
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2003 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just picked up a Olds Studio off of Ebay. We'll see how it sounds when it gets here. Hopefully brighter than my Strad 43:)

Silver/Gold Bach Stad 43
81' MF ST-302
51' Olds Super (LA)
631 Yamaha Flugel
***Working on***
Yamaha Xeno
Martin Committee
jhatpro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2003 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I believe the Special was always the first step up from the Ambassador. As for water keys, Olds did some strange things. My 1937 Super has trombone style keys on both sides. My 1957 Recording has a "modern" water key on the left and a trombone key on the right. This has always seems like a design anomaly to me.

"The notes are there - find them.” Mingus

2021 Martinus Geelan Custom
2005 Bach 180-72R
1965 Getzen Eterna Severinsen
1946 Conn Victor
1998 Scodwell flugel
1986 Bach 181 cornet
1954 Conn 80A cornet
2002 Getzen bugle
valvepimp
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2003 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jhatpro - I am not 100% certain of this, but I think the move to Fullerton is where we can pinpoint the beginning of the "mixed bag" spit valve situation - ie trombone style on the tuning slide and standard on the third slide. My LA Super and LA Special each have two trombone style spit valves, whereas my Fullerton horns have one of each.
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2003 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2003-11-09 13:03, MaynardProdigy wrote:
I just picked up a Olds Studio off of Ebay. We'll see how it sounds when it gets here. Hopefully brighter than my Strad 43:)

Definitely report back how well you like the blow. I have played LA Studios, and the nickel plated Fullerton Studio that plankowner doesn't care for, but I have never blown a pre '66 Fullerton with the silver bell and laquer valve block. The LA Studios I have tried are extremely versatile sounding horns. I would not say that they are locked into the "bright lead" mode exclusively. In the upper register, yeah, I could see where someone would say that, but towards the middle and just above the staff they gave a rich, full classic Olds tone. I don't dislike the way the nickel plated Fullerton Studio plays, but I will agree it is not as good a horn as the older Los Angeles models. So Maynard, I am looking forward to hearing how the missing link in my Studio experience will fare in your opinion.
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2003 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right on ValvePimp
plankowner110
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2003 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the great site to learn all about the older Olds instruments:

http://rouses.net/trumpet/olds.htm

The Olds Central site includes old price lists and picture catalogs which are fun to look at. Yes, the Special was the horn next above the Ambassador, followed by the Studio. I didn't say that quite right in my post above. The Studio was positioned two above the Ambassador in the product line. I hope you enjoy playing your "new" Studio trumpet!
BeboppinFool
Donald Reinhardt Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2003 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are a couple pictures of my one-of-a-kind 1954 Olds Studio Model G (Alan Rouse's theory is that it was made for an Olds Artist whose last name started with G):

I played this trumpet on the Delta Queen this past summer (along with my 1953 Olds Recording cornet), and really gave this horn a work-out (played 7 days a week for 4 weeks). Not only does the upper register sing, but the middle and lower registers speak very clearly, and it is possible to get a very smooth, syrupy sound in those registers as well. The demands of the various daily shows made me extremely glad I had this horn with me.

I would not hesitate to recommend the Olds Studio (this particular vintage) for all-around playing for any trumpeter.

Rich
valvepimp
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2003 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really nice condition on your '54 Studio, Rich. What type of restoration has it undergone, or does it happen to look this good on its own without any work done?
Donald Reinhardt Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2003 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

None, whatsoever. I shined it all up and photographed when I was thinking about selling it . . . I'm so fickle sometimes!

I bought this from a guy in New Jersey named John Maiolo, and he's apparently quite a fine player (we played in many of the same bands but never ran into each other during my years in the NJ/NY area) . . . I met his brother (saxophonist) on the Sammy Kaye Orchestra this past January.

I paid top dollar for this horn, and believe me, it's worth every cent!

Rich
bulos
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2003 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Studio is a great trumpet........ I have used one on and off over the past few years and as someone who has or has had almost every model Olds trumpet ever made I speak from lots of experience. Although I am currently playing my vintage Conns more then the Olds's I love both. (sort of an American Flyer-Lionel or Ford-Chevvie sort of thing) The thing about the old LA and early Fullerton Studio is that I find it hard to fathom that such a high quality trumpet was considered by them to be the lower rung of their pro horns. I actually prefer the Studio to most Recordings but my absolute favorite Olds to play has to be the Super Recording.............what a fabulous instrument! If any of you guys would like to see some of these old Olds trumpets visit my web site.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: