• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Al Hirt/Arturo Sandoval

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dbacon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2002 1:14 pm    Post subject: Al Hirt/Arturo Sandoval Reply with quote

DB

Last edited by dbacon on Mon Jun 20, 2022 6:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
johntpt
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2002 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah that recording of Al Hirt playing the Haydn is WAY out....

It did sell a lot of records for RCA and was probably the first classical record in the homes of many. If those people liked it maybe it led them to buy more classical records.

And I know it's much better than a recording would be of me playing trying to play dixieland!

John Urness
_PhilPicc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2002 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dbacon,
Sort of like Harry James playing the "Carnival of Venice", not Herbert Clark but neat to listen to.

St.Jacome's, I studied out of that book all through college. You do not hear of it mentioned very often. Great text!

As far as this line, they can both flat play.

Enjoy the music,
Phil

We cannot expect you to be with us all the time, but perhaps you could be good enough to keep in touch now and again."
- Sir Thomas Beecham to a musician during a rehearsal
dbacon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2002 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DB

Last edited by dbacon on Mon Jun 20, 2022 6:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Trptbenge
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2002 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think one of Al Hirts best record may be "At Carnegie Hall". I have the one with the Boston Pops and let's face it when I play Bud Herseths recording of Hayden and Al Hirts it's no contest. Herseth is unbelievable. Al hirt did have technique out the ying yang and for what he did he was incredible. If he applied himself to only classical I am sure he could have been one of the best. He had the talent but he is sometimes overblowing and out of control. Listen to the third note of the Hayden and you will see what I mean.

I don't mean any disrespect to Al Hirt because I am a huge fan of his and I love to listen to his music. I am amazed at the sound he got playing such a shallow mouthpiece. A great player.
Don O

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2002 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trptbenge - do you know exactly which mouthpiece Al Hirt used? Or did he use more than one size for different types of playing?
mightytrump

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2002 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dbacon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2002 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DB

Last edited by dbacon on Mon Jun 20, 2022 6:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Larry Smithee
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2002 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was a jet tone that Al used. I have 2 of them for some reason in a drawer with other pieces I have ear-marked for paper weights. Anyway, while Al's piece IS shallow, it also has a hugh diameter. Also, he had apparently 2 other models, each slightly deeper. But that diameter, don't know the measurment, but it is a killer.
Larry Smithee
dbacon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2002 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DB

Last edited by dbacon on Mon Jun 20, 2022 6:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Larry Smithee
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2002 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know about the 3C, but it's like somewhere in the 17+ size if that helps.
Larry Smithee
Jeff Lambardino

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2002 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-03-16 21:03, Trptbenge wrote:
I think one of Al Hirts best record may be "At Carnegie Hall". I have the one with the Boston Pops and let's face it when I play Bud Herseths recording of Hayden and Al Hirts it's no contest. Herseth is unbelievable. Al hirt did have technique out the ying yang and for what he did he was incredible. If he applied himself to only classical I am sure he could have been one of the best. He had the talent but he is sometimes overblowing and out of control. Listen to the third note of the Hayden and you will see what I mean.

I don't mean any disrespect to Al Hirt because I am a huge fan of his and I love to listen to his music. I am amazed at the sound he got playing such a shallow mouthpiece. A great player.

Al was a cross over player and did an excellent job as such. He used a very shallow mouthpiece and a large bore horn. That set up can easily cause a player to overblow particularly when fatigue sets in. It is my understanding that Al did most of the Boston Pops recording straight through.
So could Bud Herseth of pulled all of that off as well as Al did without slightly over blowing a few notes?
I seriously doubt it so let's be fair here. Put Bud in the same position and Al probably pulled it off better than Bud could of. I don't see where you are qualified to compare Bud to Al unless of course Bud did the exact same recording under the same conditions as Al did.
Sorry but I have a weakness when I see trumpeters and folks being compared without the same circumstances to judge from.

Jeff Lambardino

[ This Message was edited by: Jeff Lambardino on 2002-03-17 15:10 ]
Jeff Lambardino

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2002 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-03-16 16:14, dbacon wrote:
Al Hirt as a New Orleans style trumpet player was one of the best players in the world at that style. Arturo as a Latin Jazz player is the best in the world. For me, it was when Al went to other areas that he was like a fish without a mouthpiece. The Haydn, those shakes for trills. Very special. The same for Arturo. I look for Al Hirt records with him playing the style he grew up with, because no one played better than he did when he was in that style. Great trumpet player, the King! Same for Arturo. Cut loose on Salsa, and no one can carry his case. Crossover, and it's not the same for me. Let Arturo be Arturo. I wish Al had just been Al! Chops, technique, style, no body close. My opinion only. What's your opinion?

Both guys could play Arban and Clarke like crazy! There is a clue....Al had St.Jacome's memorized....

Dave Bacon

I find Al's dozens of pop recordings and old standards to be very unique in the fact that he had a huge big sound that could be bright if needed. However he had control of that .470 bore horn. So well that he could play pretty enough in the lower register to never need a flugelhorn that has always impressed me.

Jeff Lambardino
dbacon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2002 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DB

Last edited by dbacon on Mon Jun 20, 2022 6:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
NelleTrumpet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2002 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave,

I happen to have both a Jet-tone Al Hirt Model and a Bach 3c (long story). I’m no mouthpiece expert, but from looks and feel, the outside diameters are nearly identical but the rim on the Jet-tone is a lot thicker. The Jet-tone rim is also a little more rounded than the nearly flat rim on the Bach. I hope this helps answer your question.
NelleTrumpet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2002 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot to mention that the Al Hirt mouthpiece is also longer by about 1/4".
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Performers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: