• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Stories about Mendez, greatly needed...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Rafael Méndez
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ivantpt89

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 7:11 pm    Post subject: Stories about Mendez, greatly needed... Reply with quote

Hi everyone, first let me thank you for taking the time to read, and hopefully help me.

I am currently a senior, in an Arts high school in Oakland, Ca. I Play trumpet there, mostly jazz, but I am a huge fan of the great master's work.

An interesting story about how I discovered Mendez... I had just entered my freshman year, and there was a sophmore trumpet player with a very old looking horn, which he took great pride in. He was always talking about this mexican trumpet player. As it turns out one day he caught my interest, and I asked him if I could try his horn, he thought about it for a second, and told me "sure". The horn was amazing, I loved the feel on it, as it turns out, it was an Olds Mendez. So I asked him about Mendez, and he filled me in on what he could. I was impressed, but I still had never heard him play. So around this time, I had just discovered Arturo Sandoval, and I had purchased his Trumpet Evolution CD. I listened to the entire thing, and there was a track I just keeped playing over and over again, so one day I looked at the booklet, and saw that the title was "La Virgen de la Macarena" in Tribute to Rafael Mendez... I eventually got to hear him to the "flight of the bumblebee" in a few octaves, and eventually got to hear more... When I finally heard his rendition of "La Virgen de la Macarena", I was completely blown away. His sound, technique, control, ease, and just overall virtuosity blew me away... At that point I felt really, really bad, and really down, so I had to decide wheter it was worth to even keep on playing... and what it meant if I did continue, and how much work I would have to put into it, just to atleast reach some of his shadow some day. I'm happy to say that four years later I still feel the same way. Whenever I start playing at a whole new level, to me, and everyone around is complementing my improvement, and it starts to give me an ego boost, all I have to do is go home, and listen to some of Rafael's greatness, and after a track or two, I am completely humbled...

For my Senior year I have been assigned to write two fully scored compositions, one for a jazz band, and one for a classical ensemble, and to write two 25 page reports on two compesers. One report, and one composition are due per semester. So my deadline for the first one is in mid december. I have chosen to write my first paper, on Mr. Mendez, and his influence on me, being mexican by blood, I fell that i take even greater pride to see that someone with a similar backround, and up-bringing that i have had...

So any stories about Rafael that anyone might have would be greatly welcomed... Thanks for reading...
trumpetmike
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best advice I could give would be to obtain Magnificent Mendezby Dr Jane W. Hickman and Dr Del Lyren - more stories in that book than you can read on a long flight (trust me, I didn't get through it on my last trip to the States).

It is available from HME and is worth every cent.
Ivantpt89

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice, and do you have the website link, to where I can purchase this? I would highly appreciate it
A.N.A.Mendez
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you played an early Mendez horn? They are something else........

☛ "No matter how cynical you get, it's never enough to keep up" Lily Tomlin☚
trpt.hick
Rafael Méndez Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the link for the MAGNIFICENT MENDEZ book:

www.HickmanMusicEditions.com/select2.asp?selection=39
Ivantpt89

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the link...

And Ana I own an Olds Mendez, which I came across a year or so ago, after searching for one for nearly two years... It's a horn from the factory in Los Angeles... I'm not sure which one is older if the Fullerton, or the L.A one... could anyone help me with that? Serial number is 132xxx...

It plays great, and everyone that sees it wants to play it, and they think it's a great horn... the only problem is the valves, aren't perfectly aligned anymore, something I'm hoping to have work on, as soon as I get some christmas money or something...
Rich G
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ivantpt89 wrote:
I own an Olds Mendez, which I came across a year or so ago, after searching for one for nearly two years... It's a horn from the factory in Los Angeles... I'm not sure which one is older if the Fullerton, or the L.A one... could anyone help me with that? Serial number is 132xxx

The LA horns are older. Yours appears to be 1954 judging by the serial number. Check this site:

http://rouses.net/trumpet/olds.htm
A.N.A.Mendez
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On current estimates that would put your horn @ 1953 which is good! They still made them very well. It may be that over the years someone did not take care of the horn very good. If you are not a tinkerer take to a respected tech and they can put it in great working order again! You are lucky to have one of the old great ones!

Ivantpt89

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for your help... The horn is actually in great playing condition, it's what I always play, and it fits all the types of music I need it too... Etudes, jazz, mariachi, salsa, and I can really bend and "play around" with the notes, with my same moutpiece... The valves are quick, and smooth, but the compression is a little off... I am looking into having them ported, but like i said before, i'm not big in funds at them time...

Well thanks you all, and now I am even going to take better care of this horn... Damn never would've thaught it was one of the very good ones... I believed it to be a horn fomr the late 60's and early 70's... wow a serial number check really did clear things up... It's suppose to be from somewhere in between 1953-1954
contempora

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trumpetmike wrote:
The best advice I could give would be to obtain Magnificent Mendezby Dr Jane W. Hickman and Dr Del Lyren - more stories in that book than you can read on a long flight (trust me, I didn't get through it on my last trip to the States).

It is available from HME and is worth every cent.

Curious if this volume covers any or much of the interaction betwen Mr. Mendez and Foster Reynolds at Olds during the development of his named trumpet? I'd be looking for specific anecdotes about Foster Reynolds, not just the Olds company in general.
trpt.hick

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, nothing specific about Reynolds. Sorry.

DH
contempora

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trpt.hick wrote:
No, nothing specific about Reynolds. Sorry.

DH

Thanks for the reply - are you aware of any resources out there that might discuss that relationship?

ElShaddai
trpt.hick

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know of one in progress. R. Dale Olson (former Director of Research and Design with the F. E. Olds & Son Company, is compiling a very complete history of the Olds company that includes much information on Reynolds and others. He is gathering serial numbers of all instuments produced, dates, specs, etc. It looks like a massive undertaking.
A.N.A.Mendez
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trpt.hick wrote:
I know of one in progress. R. Dale Olson (former Director of Research and Design with the F. E. Olds & Son Company, is compiling a very complete history of the Olds company that includes much information on Reynolds and others. He is gathering serial numbers of all instuments produced, dates, specs, etc. It looks like a massive undertaking.

Yes, that it is

contempora

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trpt.hick wrote:

Yes, I've spoken with Mr. Olson several times regarding various points about Reynolds and Olds. I hope that he will be able to publish something at the end of all his work - it sounds quite formidable.
jbowman1993
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My old middle school band director told a story about Mendez. He had invited Mendez to stay at his home, while RM was in town soloing with the high school orchestra (NE Ohio, late 50's I believe). My teacher asked Rafael what he believed to be the most important advice he could give to a trumpet student. RM replied "Take the mouthpiece off your lips as much as possible."

Sounds like as good advice as any. My teacher told that story several times, and I like to tell my students, when talking about endurance, and the flow of blood to the lips.

JB
Cserbell

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:19 pm    Post subject: Mendez story from 1960 Reply with quote

I played trumpet in the Central Dauphin HS band (Harrisburg, PA) and Rafael Mendez came to our school to play a concert with us. It blows me away that a musician of his stature would travel across the country to play with a high school band - he was very gracious in his rehearsal with us and I remember the horn he used had an experimental, very lightweight bell. To demonstrate this, he actually crinkled the bell up with his hand, it was like heavy tin foil, and then he burnished it back to the right form using a pencil. I also got his signature on one of his albums - the one where he is posed in front of an ocean shore with waves breaking over rocks.
astamps3

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello

Great forum. Back in the 1950's we played a concert with Raphael Mendez. A great experience. I was first chair in those days and it was very scary having him hear us play. A taskmaster.

However, at a reception for him afterwards, he met my parents who bought me an Olds Mendez (1954). I still have it. Charlie Melk completely redid it a couple of years ago. Very pristine and fun to play. I play in a Community Band (retired years ago) and play a Bach in that.

We had some very interesting rehearsals with Mendez. Quite an experience.

Best regards to all.
avibialo

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 8:18 pm    Post subject: he was the best! Reply with quote

astamps3 wrote:
Hello

Great forum. Back in the 1950's we played a concert with Raphael Mendez. A great experience. I was first chair in those days and it was very scary having him hear us play. A taskmaster.

However, at a reception for him afterwards, he met my parents who bought me an Olds Mendez (1954). I still have it. Charlie Melk completely redid it a couple of years ago. Very pristine and fun to play. I play in a Community Band (retired years ago) and play a Bach in that.

We had some very interesting rehearsals with Mendez. Quite an experience.

Best regards to all.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Rafael Méndez All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: