• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

King Super 20

View previous topic :: View next topic  
nacog
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2003 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Super 20 that has S1 underneath the serial numbers. Is that the bore size? If so why the 1 after the S (which I assume to stand for SMALL) .
_dcstep
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2003 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought that the Super 20 Symphony Kings were all "dual-bore". I've got an old catalog somewhere, but can't lay my hands on it right now. Does it have a Sterling Bell? If so, the S may indicate that.

Dave
nacog
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2003 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is not a sterling bell (I wish it was). In fact the overall appearance it has a very golden hue to it. I'm not sure if the lacquer was tinted or if it just aged that way. If it were a symphony model wouldn't it say so on the bell?
_dcstep
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2003 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it'd be on the bell. I'll try to remember to look around for my 1960 catalog tonight.

Dave
Andy Cooper
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2003 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Super 20 and the Super 20 Symphony are different valve bores. The Super 20 is ?M? bore - smaller than .459 and the Super20 Symphony is a dual bore - supposed to be .464/.468 - The second slide is at least .464 - The main tuning slide much smaller than that. The Super 20's are fairly resistant but the Super 20 Symphony blows more open than a Schilke X3 - about like an MF horn. You have to check all of the Kings since at one time King was using a smaller mpc taper. Modern mpcs will cause a gap of 1/2 to almost 3/4 of an inch. The receivers either need to be reamed or replaced to give a gap closer to 1/8 inch.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: