• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Suggestions on new horns

View previous topic :: View next topic  
AeroStud1026
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2003 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys...I wanna buy a new horn not like tomorrow but in the future....the problem is....buying off the internet is a huge risk if used u might get a slow valve which costs alot to repair if u buy new u have no way of trying out the horn....and for around 1,500 i think id wanna try it out before i put that much money on it.....the music store i go to basically couldnt help me out on professional horn...I know of a place Dillon Music in North jersey but thats a 2 hour ride for me....so i'd hafta go once or maybe 2 twice then buy.....I already know what i want....Bach Strad 180-37 Silver plated.... ebay has alot of strads that are cheap but again the risk of buying used....what u think i should do?

[ This Message was edited by: AeroStud1026 on 2003-11-19 16:44 ]
fuzzyjon79
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2003 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live in Houston and I have bought a lot of stuff from Dillon. They have never done me wrong. I think if you live that close then you should go ahead and make the drive, take your mouthpiece, and make a day of it. Try out horns until you find the one that you like the best. This is especially important since you are wanting a Bach Strad. They have plenty in stock (used and new), so I think it would be best if you went and played a lot of them. Even if you get it home, play it for a few days, and didn't like it, I'm sure they would let you swap it out for something else, so long as you asked before you took it home.
AeroStud1026
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2003 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh really? thats good yea my high school band director says dillon is the best....im a senior in h.s. and i used to play on a Yahama student trumpet than a couple months ago switched over to a old professional vintage conn 26B that I acquired from a real awesome local trumpet player...its in real good shape....my director says I have a fine horn and wouldnt recommend buying one till ur 2nd year of college (im music majoring btw)....but im sooo in love with the Bach strads now....lol its hard

[ This Message was edited by: AeroStud1026 on 2003-11-19 16:58 ]
bdev
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2003 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would make the trip to Dillon. I live about 1 3/4 hours from there and made the trip to buy my Schilke. They open a 10AM. If you go on a Saturday they close at 3PM. Here's a link to their used Bb trumpets(if you are buying used).
http://www.dillonmusic.com/used_instruments/usedinstruments.asp?instrument=Used%20Bb%20Trumpets
Reynolds Emperor Trumpet (1961)
Bach Strad 37 Trumpet
Holton 25 Cornet / Bach 6
MDT Morrison Trumpet (wind controller)
AeroStud1026
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2003 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks alot....but im prolly not gonna be able to buy one for a another year or so....1 reason my parents want me to make sure i wanna do music before upgrading to a pro horn....reason 2 my band director said what i have is real good and he doesnt think a high school player needs a top of the line pro horn.....even tho i am a senior....he thinks I should wait till my college years to buy a horn...dissapointing cuz id love to own a Bach Strad but makes sense i guess

You guys if i get one think i should go new? or the more affordable ebay way?

[ This Message was edited by: AeroStud1026 on 2003-11-19 18:03 ]
fuzzyjon79
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2003 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I were you... I would go with a used Strad. See if you can find one that was made in the 70's or early 80's. That's why we recommend Dillon's. They have several used Bach Strads that are reasonably priced. If you buy a brand new trumpet you might want to consider a pro Yamaha, Schilke, or Conn Vintage I. If you buy a new Strad, you might want to consider trying several of them out before you spend that kind of money.
AeroStud1026
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2003 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ive been to dillons site...they have more strads than the ones listed on there site right?

also if u dont mind me asking....whats wrong with the new strads? im not asking cuz i wanna buy new ill buy whatever i just want some reasoning ya know be knowledgeable so ill make the right decision

[ This Message was edited by: AeroStud1026 on 2003-11-19 18:26 ]
jamesfrmphilly
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2003 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

go to dillons
oneeyedhobbit
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2003 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You would do well to approach this with a more open mind. Bach Strads are great horns, true, but there are SOOO many differnet models out there. Particularily if you are going to Dillon's, take advantage to try a bunch of differnet models. If, at the end of the day, you still want a Strad, go for it! But at least compare the other options, there are some great ones!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
AeroStud1026
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2003 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well the model im looking into is the 180S-37 Strad
trumpeternick
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2003 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second hobbit totally. Please keep an open mind. As much as you may want to beleive it they're not the only horns out there. Go and try out everything. If you're still sold on the strad and you get a good one, thats fine. But maybe open up a bit at least to try out some other options. Who knows. You could get a better horn for less money.
PatchesTheCat
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2003 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely Dillons or Washington Music!! Make a whole day of it, it has been compared to FAO Schwartz for Trumpeters. I got there at 10am on a saturday and left when they closed. The used wall is a hoot. Figured out which Schilkes I did and didn't like. Then I bought a Gold Plated B6b off ebay for an excellent price.

I recommend trying out everything...you never know what you'll end up appreciating. Strads off ebay is risky...some of them are lemons.

Regards.
AeroStud1026
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2003 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aight guys thanks for all ur input

[ This Message was edited by: AeroStud1026 on 2003-11-19 19:36 ]
Breathe

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2003 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Definitely Dillons or Washington Music!! "

I think I will make a day of it a "Chuck Levins" sometime soon. I have just started playing again after a 20 year break. I still have is my old Yamaha student horn. Back when I was in school, all I could think of was to get a Strad. Now I see that there are a lot of great options and I haven't even begun to sort out yet. Light and Heavy horns, different bore diameters, revolutionary mouthpiece designs, etc.... Where do I learn what's what?

I will probably be able to scare up $1000 - $2000 to procure a good workman-like horn (have no need of a thoroughbred) to play some Jazz and Fusion. Can one of you point me in the right direction to start sorting through the options so that I don't make a $2000 error?

Thanks,
John
Shofar Man

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2003 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My recommendation would be that if you really want a Strad, try out alot of them. If you just go and buy one off the shelf, you really run a crap shoot of getting a good one. It's true there are some fantastic Bach's out there, but there are some pretty bad ones, too. Play test them until you find one you like. Being a new Eclipse owner, that's what I would normally recommend, but their cost is a little prohibitive - especially given what your parents are saying. If you want my recommendation, and you can ignore it, if you like, I would recommend a Schilke. I still have a Schilke and I love it - I loved it from the moment I first played it. For a semi-mass-produced horn, the Schilkes are very good horns.

If you try a lot of different horns, you'll likely come across one that you can tell is 'you.' Go with it, don't fight it; even if it's not what you originally wanted. Once you get it, treat it like your baby, and she'll take care of you!!

Good luck,

Rob
Numbers 6:24-26

Eclipse MR, Scr. Lacquer/Schilke B3/Benge MLP
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: