• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Al Hirt

View previous topic :: View next topic  
McH
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After seeing Quentin Tarantino's Kill Bill I was tempted into buying Al Hirt's 36 All-Time Greatest Hits just so I could play the Green Hornet Theme to my hearts content. Of the 36 tracks (a bargain 3CD) many are schmaltzy and some are decidedly cheesy, but through it all Al's obvious abilities as a showman and pretty classy horn player shine brightly.
I'm generally a jazz fan and normally wouldn't listen to this kind of blatantly commercial music. It just shows what you can miss if you don't keep your ears open -- you can learn something from everyone -- and hopefully Kill Bill will encourage others like me to discover Al Hirt.
David
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2003 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree completely. I never hear much of his work - just the hits like Java (please kill me if I EVER hear this one again - it is SO annoying and stays in your head FOREVER) and the Green Hornet Theme. And many of the arrangements show their age with corny background chorus work.

But the trumpet work - Al was a MONSTER!

Good fortune is that he was popular and current enough that the recordings are of pretty decent quality. You can really hear what a wonderful sound he had. And the articulation and power - just awesome! His phrasing was impressive too.
Bill
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2003 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Al Hirt was one of the big reasons I started playing and also kept at it during some periods of indecision and boredom. Besides the compilation CDs available I believe my favorite album was "Pops Goes the Trumpet" recorded with Arthur Fiedler and the Boston Pops.

Al was actually a classicly trained trumpeter (Cincinnati Conservatory I think) and also one of the top Army Bandsmen of his era. Many will argue that his legit chops pale besides Wynton, Rolf, Maurice etc etc but he sounded pretty danged good to me doing the Haydn Concerto on this album.

This was also the first time I heard Leroy Anderson's Bugler's Holiday. This little 2:30 study in perpetual motion really hooked me and I think the grooves in the vinyl on my first "Pops" 33 1/3 were worn out by the time I moved out of the house.

The single most powerful cut to me was, and still is "The Lost Chord". The last sixteen bars of both Al and the Pops Orchestra at full throttle on this piece still brings shivers to me.

On the jazz side, his live recordings made at Dan's Pier 600 in N'awlins are phenomenal. I never heard anyone's combo do Saints and Bourbon Street Parade better than Al's group did. I have a VHS tape of Al and Pete Fountain that's a killer.

Tone, power, breath control, improv ability, personality, accessibility, character, showmanship. He's gotta be one of the best of all time.

Bill

Wilmington Big Band
Artistry In Jazz Big Band
Snake Malone and the Black Cat Bone Blues Band
pedaltonekid
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2003 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Al's music is great. Whenever I start taking the trumpet too seriously, I always listen to Al so that I can hear how much fun it is supposed to be.
BADBOY-DON
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2003 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In one of my many "Miles Davis books"....Miles mention how much he loved Al Hirts amazing skill and unbelieveable talent besides enjoying Al friendship...be equally hated how Al set himself up so often, as the butt of jokes, because of his obesity and also how he was often at the whims of not only the media who craved to glean a part of his popularity and saddend Miles when he saw so many actors and show hosts make fun of his weight.
mark936
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Bill.

For guys my age 40ish + WASP etc. Al Hirt was one of the greats. If not the greatest. My grandparents had a large painting of Al Hirt in their living room.

Al Hirt, Herb Alpert, Louis Armstrong, Harry James and Doc Severinson. The reasons why most guys started playing trumpet in the sixties.
trumplyr
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2003 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill said he had a VHS of Al & Pete Fountain. I'd like to know how to get ahold of that. My parents had an old 33 lp of Al & Pete playing dixieland with a small quintet or sextet that was fabulous. Can't remember the title or any of the other musicians, but I think I wore the grooves right off that platter. Whoever it was, that record had some of the best dixieland trombone playing I've ever heard, not5 to mention Al & Pete.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Recordings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: