• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Old Conn 26B Trumpet

View previous topic :: View next topic  
AeroStud1026
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2003 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys im gonna be a music major with the trumpet in college so my grandmother recently gave me an old conn trumpet she had....she said a real good trumpet player used to use it and he wanted her to have it....well she passed it down to me.....Im dying to find out the history of the horn model....

It was made between 1919-1923 and Its a C.G. Conn 26B Silver Trumpet (B flat) made in Elkhart, Ind. has a Rotary Valve and a Regular tuning slide, its satin silver and the engraving on the bell is a metallic silver finish the bore size is a #1 (.438)....I also wanna know if its a professional horn or a very good student Im pretty almost positive its professional I just want to see if anyone on this board knows more about the old conn trumpets....the horn plays great its in the best shape...no silver wear, clean as a bell, valves are fast, slides are move freely, No dents...not even a ding.. nothing is wrong with it....I love it compared to the student yahama i've been playing for the past 7 years. Again any info would be greatly appreciated.

[ This Message was edited by: AeroStud1026 on 2003-11-17 15:49 ]
bulos
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2003 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Conn 26B was a .458 bore or Conns #1 1/2 bore. The 22B was .438 and the 28B was a .485 bore. (huge) They also had a 24B which was a 22B with a very narrow tapered small diameter bell. This was called a "jazz or dance band" trumpet. If you would like some jpgs of the old Conn catalogs that show these great old horns e-mail me. (bulos@earthlink.net) Also on my website I have pics of my old 26B which is quite pretty with it's silver/gold engraving scheme. With the exception of the 24B's smaller bell these 4 horns are identical form the outside view.
AeroStud1026
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2003 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well.....on the pipe where u insert the mouthpeice it says "26B"...I could be mistaken on the bore size....but the bell looks a tad smaller than my student yamaha bell again i could be mistaken cuz i just looked at my yamaha and dont see much of a bell difference id hafta bring it home and see.....ive never matched the 2 face to face cuz ones usually where i rehearse and the other is at my house.......yes ive been to ur site and the conn loyalist site and it looks very similar to mine cept no gold trim scheme.....actually it looks identical i really couldnt find a difference

also please tell me what u think of ur 26B.....I love mine and id like to know how good it is and if its a good professional horn or not...thanks alot

[ This Message was edited by: AeroStud1026 on 2003-11-17 18:07 ]
Tim80
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2003 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This it!!! Guess who's website that is from? His pics are beautiful.

[ This Message was edited by: Tim80 on 2003-11-17 18:44 ]
AeroStud1026
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2003 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea thats it! I would love if I could get a gold trim kit or w/e but i think bach is the only one that can do that....and i dont think bach gold trim kit with a conn trumpet would fly cuz the valve caps might not screw on good
plp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2003 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah, the 26B isn't anything you would be happy with, just email me and I will send you my addy so you can get that ol' thing out of the house, might even split postage with ya, being that's the kind of guy I am.....I love the 3 old pre 1960 Conns I have, even though they all look like they've been rolled down the stairs a time or two.
AeroStud1026
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2003 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

really? wow are u being sarcastic or are u serious....cuz i think that conn is a pretty good instrument
plp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2003 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sarcastic? Me? Naahh.....

I have about 22 trumpets and cornets right now, and 9 of them are Conns. My favorite player (at this second) is a 1958 8B I picked up 3 weeks ago. It took the place of a 1942 12B Coprion, which I still love for the classic 'big band' sound it gets. My first 'pro' horn was a 1965 80-A Victor cornet, and of the 4 other cornets I own, is still my favorite.

You really want to hang on to that old jewel, as you will find situations where it's unique sound will fit the bill. Just stay away from anything made after about 1974 or so, as that is when the quality started to go downhill. I have a 78-B Century (Connstellation wannabe) in good mechanical shape made in 1980 that sounds like it is made out of tin foil.

From all reports though, the V1 is bringing back the tradition.
AeroStud1026
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2003 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah im lookin to fit it with gold trim but i dont think there is a kit or anything i could do to do it.....btw 26B is a pro horn right lol?

[ This Message was edited by: AeroStud1026 on 2003-11-17 21:33 ]
bulos
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2003 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When it was made your horn was a top dog in the Conn line. However you are confused .if the bore is as you say .438 then it is a 22B not a 26B. The 26B was .458 and I like them better. Matt as long as a horn plays in tune and has a nice sound who is to say who should play what? Most of the guys I work with play Bachs and Yamahas but I play my old Conn 10B.............screw em I like it! You can always have your valve caps etc gold plated no biggie.
Tim80
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2003 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bulos,
I hope you don't mind my posting a picture from your site. Anybody interested in looking at beautiful old Conn and Olds trumpets should that sight out.

Tim
bulos
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2003 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2003-11-21 09:12, Tim80 wrote:
bulos,
I hope you don't mind my posting a picture from your site. Anybody interested in looking at beautiful old Conn and Olds trumpets should that sight out.

Tim

Not at all Tim as long as you mention the source and don't use them for commercial purposes.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: