• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

tenThing @ 2013 BBC Proms *Only available until 8/17*

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Airball

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:22 am    Post subject: tenThing @ 2013 BBC Proms *Only available until 8/17* Reply with quote

Tine Thing Helseth with her brass ensemble. This is from their live performance at the 2013 BBC Proms Chamber Music.
As stated in the title its only available 5 more days so watch it NOW! It's a great program!
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01dr324

Last edited by Airball on Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
ertatta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think i just fell in love with the horn player.....
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't leave off watching this before the encore, either.
crzytptman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love that they are real women, not stick figures, each beautiful in their own unique way. And they play brass instruments they same way. Bravo!
- TH member and advertiser (name withheld)
d.kocurek
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fine playing from this talented group of musicians and brass players. I can't help but feel a bit uncomfortable that after a great performance like that, almost all of the comments have to do with their looks. I know we're all nice guys and I don't mean to come across as attacking anyone, but when is it going to stop being a novelty that women play brass instruments?
Rapier232
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very entertaining. Although I did not like the Blaze piece at all.

As for how they look, why should we not comment? I'm pretty sure when a bunch of women get together they talk about which is the hot one in a male band.

Smith-Watkins Bb
Will Spencer Bb
Eclipse Flugel
Smith Watkins K2 Cornet
JP152 C Trumpet
Besson Bugle
d.kocurek
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are some people on this site who comment on the way female trumpeters look in a respectful way. And there are entire threads on this site filled with blatant horndoggery.

Let me address how I feel about your example:

I'm pretty sure when a bunch of women get together they talk about which is the hot one in a male band.

This may or may not be true. However, this site is not a group of single-sex friends getting together to privately discuss the "hot one". This is an open public forum frequented by both men and women on a day to day basis. Do you ever see a forum talking about how hot Chris Botti is, objectifying him at the expense of his talent? There are women on here that probably play circles around most of us, but might not be what some on here would classify as "hot". How do you think those women feel about these comments and threads that seemingly always regress into "OMG I WANT TO MARRY THAT HOT TRUMPET CHICK". And only one of those genders ever has to prove to the other that they are worth more than the way they look. Men have never had to prove themselves professionally the way women have. And merely commenting on looks instead of merit is not only insulting to all of the women that continue to work hard for equality in a field with a history of sexism, but also to the men who support them.

I know that most of us have good intentions, but I think it's helpful for everyone to think about things like these.
crzytptman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

d.kocurek wrote:
Fine playing from this talented group of musicians and brass players. I can't help but feel a bit uncomfortable that after a great performance like that, almost all of the comments have to do with their looks. I know we're all nice guys and I don't mean to come across as attacking anyone, but when is it going to stop being a novelty that women play brass instruments?

I don't think it's a novelty at all. Most of my students now are girls. Over the last 10 years I've had 3 that held 1st chair in their HS bands for 2-3 years. I have one now going into HS that played 3rd and some lead in a college big band with me last year as an 8th grader. Equality shouldn't mean no one notices, it is that everyone is equal to be their own unique self and be noticed. Go girls!
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

d.kocurek wrote:

crzytptman wrote:
I don't think it's a novelty at all. Most of my students now are girls. Over the last 10 years I've had 3 that held 1st chair in their HS bands for 2-3 years. I have one now going into HS that played 3rd and some lead in a college big band with me last year as an 8th grader. Equality shouldn't mean no one notices, it is that everyone is equal to be their own unique self and be noticed. Go girls!

I've noticed a similar thing. The students in band used to be more balanced in terms of gender. It's less so, now. As a rule, at least 60% of my band students are young ladies.

Also, back when I was in elementary, junior high, and HS Band, they generally stuck to flute, clarinet, and maybe sax. There were exceptions, but if there were girls in the trumpet section, it was only a few. That's changed as well, with girls rarely being apprehensive about choosing trumpet, trombone, and percussion. That's totally fantastic.

I think we're seeing now the results of breaking down gender identities with instruments. Over a decade ago, trumpet has become a lot more acceptable for girls to play and thus, there are more young women playing trumpet (and the other brasses). Not surprisingly, some of those young women are very successful.

Because of this, it probably wasn't even difficult to Tine and company to make an excellent ensemble out of just young women brass players that they knew. According to the website, the four trumpeters who came up with the idea for the ensemble were all women.

I think this is the end of the "novelty" factor for women being successful brass players. There are soloist like Tine Thing Helseth, Alison Balsom. There's the young lady that's now the principal in St Louis. Pretty soon a successful female trumpeter will be looked at the same way as any successful musician - say violinist - which is a musician and not a novelty or oddity. And going forward, they'll continue to be more of them.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn

Last edited by Crazy Finn on Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
ertatta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i thoroughly enjoyed this program musically. there is gobs wonderfu talent in this group and i'd be happy to pay good money to hear them live. BRAVO!
veery715
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I agree on some level with Mr. Kocurek, I think that when you play as well as Tine and her friends, you don't need anyone to come to your defense for any reason. I am 99.99% sure they know they look appealing to those who appreciate that sort of thing, and are not uncomfortable (and perhaps just the opposite) with it.

I love women (however they may look) and will never get over it. I support women-owned businesses, work with mostly women, have a family that is mostly women, love to witness women being good at ANYTHING. Men, meh...
crzytptman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my 6 elementary school bands last year, only 1 boy trombonist. One school the entire 3 trombone section was girls. They were my "Ladies of Distinction".
Rapier232
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

d.kocurek wrote:
There are some people on this site who comment on the way female trumpeters look in a respectful way. And there are entire threads on this site filled with blatant horndoggery.

Let me address how I feel about your example:

I'm pretty sure when a bunch of women get together they talk about which is the hot one in a male band.

This may or may not be true. However, this site is not a group of single-sex friends getting together to privately discuss the "hot one". This is an open public forum frequented by both men and women on a day to day basis. Do you ever see a forum talking about how hot Chris Botti is,

I know that most of us have good intentions, but I think it's helpful for everyone to think about things like these.

I think you should just lighten up. I have no idea what Chris Botti looks like, so he may be hot or not. I know, for example, what Mnozil Brass look like, and can say, as a heterosexual male that one of them could be considered hot.

I refuse to be PC or upset on their behalf. Yes these people of either sex are far more talented than I will ever be, but I have the right to the opinion that one may be hotter than another. That is just how life is and to deny it is
pointless.

Smith-Watkins Bb
Will Spencer Bb
Eclipse Flugel
Smith Watkins K2 Cornet
JP152 C Trumpet
Besson Bugle
d.kocurek
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree it is completely within our rights to think one is hotter than the other. And I'm fairly certain these girls DO know the way they are being perceived and are likely marketing themselves thusly. I have no issue with this...I'm even guilty of using "visual marketing" myself to an extent.

I apologize if I came across as irate in my messages. I think I just hit my tipping point and didn't want yet another thread to become a bunch of us guys hurling catcalls and suggestive comments instead of respecting the musicians making the music. I know most of the people on this site are respectful and it's the comments of a select few that drag the whole boat down.

I'm friends with a number of female members on this site and they've privately expressed discomfort with the objectification of certain female trumpeters on this site...I was simply stepping in on their behalf.

Say what you want, of course...I'm just asking that it stays respectful.
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the main point here is that if all you had was the audio and had no idea what they looked like, or their gender, it would still be great music.
Bob Stevenson
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Men do look at women as potential sexual partners....women also do it but keep it more hidden. Women frequently use this to their advantage so it's a bit 'two faced' to complain when men compliment them on their looks. And if men 'look' at women then it's also true that women deport themselves for just that.......just the way of the world which will not change because a woman becomes a serious musican.

On a different note;........ Is the small blond woman who plays the 'D' trumpet in the early pieces the former principal cornet of Eikanger Vorsig....I think she is and is a sparkling player in her own rite!

I was disappointed with the Diana Burell piece although I was impressed with her comments beforehand about the versatility of brass....

....Finally, the concert would have been better without the self concious choreography ...they are all excellent players so just 'do the music'!!
alexwill
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The VIDEO of the show will be available NINE MORE DAYS until 8/17, so you have a little more time to watch it.
Shipham_Player
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alexwill wrote:
The VIDEO of the show will be available NINE MORE DAYS until 8/17, so you have a little more time to watch it.

Just did.

Awesome.

Nuff said.
brassjunky
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great recording by the BBC here, helped by some excellent acoustics I think. As for the playing - what impressed me is the finesse and delicacy of their performance compared to many brass ensembles I have heard. Wow!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Video/audio All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: