• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Doc...the gift that keeps on giving

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MannyLaureano
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2003 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Friends,

It seems that for every experience I am blessed to have with the great players of our time, there is a codetta I have to report to you all.

This week the orchestra is playing, among other works, the Symphonie Fantastique of Hector Berlioz (yes, the "z" is pronounced!). Many of you know that there is a cornet solo that goes with the normally tacet second movement that was added later by Berlioz himself. It was written for Arban for a special concert where he was playing principal cornet in the performing orchestra. The musicalogically disposed among you will have more details regarding this, I'm sure.

I happened to mention this to Doc during our "duet" week and he had never heard of it. After telling him about it he very kindly offered me the use of his 1931 Paris Selmer cornet which he informed was the first instrument he ever bought with his own money! He asked Byron Autry to hand-carry it to Orchestra Hall and give it to me to try for the week that was coming up. Byron, who had been workiing on the instrument, was coming up for the concert anyway so, it was a relatively easy matter for him to do so.

I have a very old "Conn Wonder" mouthpiece that I bought many, many years ago and I have used it for this week. The horn/mouthpiece comination have a very sweet sound and a wide dynamic range so that the March to the Scaffold and other movements have sufficient "oomph".

Incidentally, when I play the 2nd movement I move to a chair and stand next to the english hornist so that I can weave in and out of the woodwind and string textures as needed to maintain proper ensemble.

Once again, there's an example of Doc Severinsen's generous nature and a desire to help out his trumpet-playing brethren.

Warmly,

Manny Laureano
HorneyMikey
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2003 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Manny, that is a great playing cornet, and I feel priveliged to have been able to try it...

Mikey
FlugelFlyer
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2003 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That must be great to know Doc on at such a level. I've met him only twice, but it was through one of his friends in Chicago, so maybe that counts as something ?
trumplyr
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2003 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Laureano,

You mentioned Byron Autry. Isn't he just an encyclopedia of knowledge? For my fellow TH'rs who don't know Byron, he used to sub in the DSO, played in Leonard Smith's Detroit Concert Band and taught at Michigan State University. He is a great technician, works for Kanstul, still plays well and has some of the best stories you'll hear. All of you gear heads would love his basement. There is so much stuff and parts down there you can hardly walk around. He's a great guy, I should see him more often.

[ This Message was edited by: trumplyr on 2003-11-23 10:27 ]
UsedBits
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a look at other of Doc's trumpets (including a Boston 3 Star NE Ultra Plus cornet - with the factory optional engraving to boot), see:

http://www.CohenBrothers.org/cohenbrothers/doc_severinsen_horns.htm
Benge Bb, 5x, ml #8162
Benge C, 2x+, mlp #7481
Benge D/Eb, ml #6579
Benge Flug, ml #17xxx
Stomvi piccolo, m15, #901885
Boston 3-Star 1 NE Plus Ultra LP #22019
Martin Committee #151322
Bach Strad (NY) 7-10-62, #2003
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Performers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: