• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Selmer-Paris On Gig

View previous topic :: View next topic  
_dcstep
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2003 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a follow-up regarding the Selmer-Paris Concept TT. I took it to a wedding reception gig last night. The PitPops performed from 8 until 11:30 playing our normal set list of rock, soul and funk. I used my GR66S for all three sets and all trumpet songs.

The first test of the Selmer came on a specialty number where the bride and groom's twelve year old daughters sang the old Nat Cole song "L-O-V-E" which has a nice little swing trumpet solo in the middle break. It's mostly down in the staff, but the horn popped out of the mix big and bold. The dynamics are easy with this horn and the little off-beat accents that really make the line swing just pop out of the horn. Overall the sound is big and round down in this range, with just a little burr.

All the above staff stuff just sizzled. In the meat and potatoes range from top of the staff F to D above high-C, the dynamics are great. We do lots of swells and accents. That stuff just pops. There's a real burr on the sound when you fill up the horn. It cuts through the mix and two or three band members commented that they were really hearing the horns. (The room was big and dead with a big standing wave on the guitar and bass' low G, but we were poppin' thru that mess). When you back off and play the horn mf, the burr goes away and the tone stays centered and clear.

Ah, and how does it sound above high-C... those highs ring and zing. First they're much easier to hit than with my Z because the intonation is so good up there. You just hear the note and play it with no adjustments needed. If the above staff sizzled, then the above high-C zinged and zapped, like a laser. The edge stayed there as the burr turned into a fzzzst.

To wrap up, the resonance of the bell, which I mentioned at length in my initial review, turned into on-the-job projection. Those resonances turned into positive burr when the horn is pushed. That edge gives richness to the tone and allows the horn to really project. The sound is NOT hard and bright; it's just rich with overtones, high and low.

I'm absolutely convinced that this is a great horn for jazz, commercial and salsa. I think it'll also fit in a wind ensemble setting with an appropriated adjustment in the mouthpiece. Its tone is not thin, ringy and bright, but rich, big and full.

It's a keeper.

Ciao,

Dave
Jazzalive
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2003 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome comments! I'm feeling better about my purchase already. I can't wait to get mine. I'll post my comments here after I've had it a day or two. BTW, how do you think the horn will blend in a Church contemporary christian-inspiration setting? I play in our church Praise Band too.

Based on all of your feedback so far, I'm sure it will shine in that setting as well.

Can't wait.

Jazzalive
_dcstep
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2003 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no doubt that the Selmer will be excellent in a praise band or contemporary church environment. It's got a rich tone on it's own and/or it amplifies well. We just use Shure 57s with one of those plexiglass surrounds. That allows me to get back about three feet from the mic and get a natural sound and not lose the overtones. I move the bell away and toward the mic to change the sound character somewhat.

The situation that I haven't tried yet is a traditional wind ensemble or church orchestra setting with several trumpets. I suspect that it'll blend well so long as an appropriate mouthpiece is used. (Not a 1 1/2C, but something that takes into account the large bore size of the horn). It'll certainly work for solo where the player is free to take advantage of its dynamic flexibility. In a section you'll need to play with control and keep your ears wide open so as not to take over. It IS very dynamic compared to most trumpets that I've played.

Yes, I'm anxious to see more reports. Several people kept coming back to the TT at the DFW Trumpetfest. So far, I'm the only one that bought. I don't think I'm daft, but I think that the resonance of these horns put them into a special category. Too bad that Selmer-Paris doesn't seem intent on exploiting the resonance that comes from this leadpipe and bracing scheme. I could see a whole line of horns with various bores and bell sizes using this technology. I personally like the set of sizes and weights selected for the TT, but I can see some that like more resistance being put off by the large bore and free blow. Still the results compare with the best custom horns that I've tried.

Good luck with your new horn.

Dave
BADBOY-DON
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2003 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah yes......but hummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm?????

WHY IS IT THAT ALMOST EVERY FANCY NEW HORN SOUND BETTA' THAN OUR OUR HORNS WHEN FIRST PLAYED...
but how will it sound...to us AFTER THE HONEYMOON IS OVER???
_dcstep
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2003 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Badboy-Don, I've played dozens of horns over the last few months and only a couple have made me want to change. I've owned five hours in forty-six years of playing; my brother's Conn Director, a King Super 20 Symphony (stolen); a Yamaha Designer 6335HS- with large bell; a Yamaha Shew and now the TT. So, you can see that I don't take lightly the switching of horns. Pooh-pooh all you like, but the TT is a special horn, on the level of when Schilke introduced the B1, I think. I doubt that it'll ever catch on in the US like the Schilkes for a number of reasons, most to do with marketing and the origin of the horn, but never the less it's a great horn, IMHO.

Starting with that King, I've never bought a horn because someone told me what to buy. I've always gone out and played them and made my selection based on those criteria alone.

Dave

[ This Message was edited by: dcstep on 2003-12-01 08:19 ]
Trptbenge
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave, thanks for the review. I had heard good things about the Selmer through the rumor mill but had never actually heard a review by someone who had played/owned one. So, I appreciate the information.

Mike
BADBOY-DON
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am really happy for you that after all these years of playing....that you finally found an instrument that really punches your valve buttons and builds your confidence.
I couldn't agree more with you when you say that one should never be influenced too heavily by who's playing what or what instrument is perceived to be the "Darling of the Day!"

Interesting to note that our mutal mentor, the late Don Jacoby helped build a fire in your soul for trumpet and music. I was that kid at that Jacoby clinic in DesMoines Ia. when Don J. invited Louie Armstrong to sit in that early Sat morning at Drake University.
As a kid....I couldn't move up fast enough to conn' my mother that I needed a Selmer Paris horn, just like the beautiful gold presentation model that Satch performed with that eve. in concert with Ella. Naturally it was many years later before I came across a Selmer Paris and a specially made one with a Sterling silver bell.

I sold my old Conn Constellation to a friend in order to buy that Selmer K Modified horn. But looking back....for some reason, no matter how beautiful and special this Selmer was, I just couldn't seem to feel at home with that horn.
Sure one should never "covet thy neigbors wife or old Conny' but I sorely wished I never had gotten rid of my old horn soooo easily. That Constellation, sounded and played sooooooo beautifully. It was LIKE AN OLD FRIENDLY SHOE, but the grass seemed all TOO GREEN on the other side....as Louie Armstrong, was my beloved hero, played a Selmer, Can you imagine how I felt, when I kept think back about how much I loved that old Conny' and missed the confidence that this horn seem to give me? Did I learn something? NO!!!

Everyone in the Symphony was convincing me (and especially the director as he wanted the trumpet section to all play one brand of B flat instrument) that I needed to get rid of an old used Benge 3X horn that I had found in a pawn shop on E. Burnside street for $75.00 that I adopted because of its beautiful open and easy blow and sound.

Yep....I did it again, traded off my old Benge 3X for a brand new shiney Poster child of a horn of the day, A brand new shiney BACH ML Strad #37. Just like that pretty Selmer.....this new Bach, as beautiful looking as it was, just didn't begin to hold a candle to that shabby old Benge 3X or Connstellation that I unloaded so easily because of its "wonder-press!" and rave reviews?

With that in mind...I CONGRATULATE AND APPLAUD YOU FOR FINDING THAT HORN THAT SUITS YOU AND YOUR MUSIC...AND GIVES YOU THAT "EDGE OF CONFIDENCE and most of all...

Thanks for sharing that experience with us and may that Selmer's gift of excellence, keep that passion alive.
_dcstep
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Badboy.

Sounds like you gravitate toward open free-blowing horns like moi. Luckily for me I've never been in a situation where someone tried to dictate what I should play. The Connstellation was my second choice back when I bought that Super 20 Symphony. It was a close call even then between the Conn and the King. I tried the Bachs and Olds of the day also and wasn't at all attracted. They were probably too tight for me, even at 13.

Do you know what Jacoby played in the '50s? Not that I'm going to go buy one, BUT I did love that big, fat sound.

Dave
bgwbold
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought D Jacoby was associated with the Connstellation, Dave.

Mike
_dcstep
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, Mike, that's not too surprising.

Dave
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: