• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Kanstul F.Besson Meha -- SN/Date?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DC
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2003 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just bought a Kanstul-built F. Besson Meha, SN # 8xx. I haven't been able to find any serial number information on these. Anyone have a good handle on when this horn was made? What are kind of price range are these going for these days?

Thanks.

D.
_gmdean
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2003 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried emailing Kanstel? I understand that although they make horns for a lot of people they do keep good records. UK value is about £600 in a shop for one of these and they are very good horns. Because they aren't a "flavor of the month" horn they probably don't fetch the sort of price they should. I have one of these as my 2nd horn, I was very lucky to get a great vintage Strad, the Besson runs it very close and probably lights up a bit brighter up the top. I find it a very similar to blow to the Strad so some might say it's not as free blowing as it might be. I think the current verson has a different leadpipe which probably addresses this.

Hope that helps
Mark
radial
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2003 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Point of ref.- my meha is s/n 5202. Per Kanstul's records, it was made in 1996 or 1997, but they also thought it was a C trumpet. To get a rounded tuning slide for it, I had to send the old slide to them. It's a nice horn, very responsive, but not terribly in tune. Also, a bit stuffy upstairs. Nice sound but not my favorite anymore. Phil
DC
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2003 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark, I did email Kanstul, but haven't had a response. I've seen comments indicating that they aren't very good at responding to email.

What's the bore size on yours? Based on the research I've been able to do, I think mine is a .470

D.
radial
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2003 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Meha is a .460 ML
Flip Oakes
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2003 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In 1984-85 I had a couple of F. Besson's one ser. number was 409 it was a MEHA PARIS FRANCE it was a .460 bore made in around 1984-85 I'm quite sure. Right after I bought a F. Besson MEHA *PARIS* it was a .470 made around the same time. If it says *PARIS* it's a .470 If it says PARIS FRANCE then it's a .460 during this era of F.Besson made by Kanstul for Boosey Hawkes.

All The Best,

Flip Oakes
Flip Oakes “Wild Thing Trumpets”
COME AND HEAR THE DIFFERENCE
http://www.flipoakes.com

"To read what Wild Thing owners say about their horns, click on this"
http://www.flipoakes.com/testimonials.htm

Flip Oakes
2559 Mottino Dr.
Oceanside, Ca. 92056
760-643-1501
760-643-1511 FAX

To Hear the Flip Oakes Wild Thing Trumpet go to
http://www.flipoakes.com/multimedia.htm

[ This Message was edited by: Flip Oakes on 2003-11-22 19:35 ]
DC
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2003 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Flip, that's good information. Mine is a .470 ("Paris"). I've never had a horn with a bore that large -- and I love it! Once I got used to the somewhat stiffer valve springs, I find that playing it is a rather "player and horn are one" experience, more so than I've experienced with other horns... fast, centered, dark but still crisp, edgy when I want it to be. A very well balanced horn. I'm a comeback player (back a little over a year) and I hope to someday be able to do this horn justice. Then, I'll buy a Wild Thing.

D.
_gmdean
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you, think Flip has said all that needs to be said on IDing them. Mines a 470, and I'd agree with redial's comments on how the thing sounds/plays, however lower down it seems the opposite, free blowing and in tune with itself. Personally I love the sound and enjoy playing it at home when I'm practicing. Out in a band and I'm much happier with the Strad cos it seems much more predictable. As a comeback player relearning the ropes I don't need the extra "Excitement" that goes with the Besson. However as I get better and can control things more I might start feeling confident enough to give it a go. I am told by my repair man that the Norjam (?) leadpipes on the new model correct the stuffy/intonation issues so a transplant might be in order at some time. Guess a bit of experimenting with mouthpieces might also be in order.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: