• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Help on Kanstul

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bigjohntexas

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm looking to buy a Kanstul 1500 or 1500A...If you know anything of these two trumpets i would like to hear your input....Also in terms of a darker tone should i go with the brass lacqure or the silver....Oh, and one more thing have any of you played on the kanstul woody mouthpiece, and if so how do you like it? Thanks

[ This Message was edited by: bigjohntexas on 2003-12-01 13:42 ]
PiccoloTrumpetVCM

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the 1500 as my main horn. I have a laquer (i know I miss spelled that one) horn and get a nice thick dark sound. I like if for everything but lead. If I need to push it dubba g and higher it does not work so well.

hope this helps

Chris
HJ
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I've played the 1500A for about five years. And it is like Chris says. It is just not a horn to play lead with. The sound is almost cornetlike dark, beautiful, well balanced. It slots pretty well up to DHC, but the sound is too dark to cut through a bigband or horn section. It feels a bit like playing lead on a cornet. Everything is possible but is it the right sound?
I played the lacquered bronze bell, and used this in combination with a Yamaha GP 14C4. It really sounds dark, but finally a bit on the dull side, too. I tried to solve this problem with different mpc's, but for a brighter sound, you will need a brighter horn.

Bert
_Japle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 1500 S (silver). It was laquer when I got it; Zig silver plated it for $160.
There were some problems with the way it played and I sent it back to the factory. They replaced the leadpipe and tuning crook and tweaked the heck out of it. It plays extremly well now, but has just a bit too much resistance for a former bass 'bone player like myself.
I like a big sound and the horn delivers. I'm playing a Kanstul M-B4S mouthpiece with a #16 throat and Prana backbore. I have a B4L on order.
Most of my playing is a combination of classical and jazz (not lead). I don't feel the sound is too dark at all. Seems perfect to me.
I'm considering selling it and getting another Kanstul with less resistance.

John
Cape Canaveral
trumplyr
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bigjohntexas,

Welcome to TH. It's good to see another Michigan member.

Other than Kanstul themselves, an excellent source of info here in Mi. is Byron Autry ( Lansing area ). He works for Kanstul and has worked on the development of many of their horns. If you PM me, I'll help you get in contact with him.

Marty
jhatpro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kanstul advertises the 1502 as a horn for lead players. Check out the TH thread earlier this week on the 1502. Also, go to the http://www.kanstul.com and compare the Signature horns. I play the 1504 which would be a good lead horn as well. It has a bell similar to a Bach 72/43, which is considered a great lead horn.

"The notes are there - find them.” Mingus

2021 Martinus Geelan Custom
2005 Bach 180-72R
1965 Getzen Eterna Severinsen
1946 Conn Victor
1998 Scodwell flugel
1986 Bach 181 cornet
1954 Conn 80A cornet
2002 Getzen bugle
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: