• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Yamaha 6335/6345 (not Heavy Wall)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Martin
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are your experiences with the Yamaha medium weight trumpets? I never got to try one, although I have owned the Heavy Wall Mark II version and the Z as well.
I figured the standard weight horns might be the best of both worlds. Seeing Brian Lynch playing one with the Mingus big Band on TV the other day renewed my interest...

Martin
Mark Bradley
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a music store in the Netherlands (Matthews Music) that routinely sells the Yamaha 4335 trumpets on ebay for $500-550, brand new. I'd really be curious to see how this so-called intermediate horn plays next to the 6335. It's less than half the price of a new 6335. Anyone have experience comparing the two?
Martin
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To further complicate things, there´s a 5335 available, too (in Europe, at least). Supposedly a 6335 with a two-piece bell...
Anyway, all input on these horns is welcome.

Martin
dannystone10
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The other trumpeter in my 5tet plays a 6335 - they are decent horns, blowing very similarly to the heavy walls but with not quite as much power - nice for certain types of playing.

I have had a fair amount of time on a 4335 as well - these are ok, but very much a step up from the 2335 rather than down from a 6335, if you see what I mean...
trumpeternick
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I play on a 5335. It's their Allegro model, and its designed to be more than an intermediate horn but not quite a pro horn. It is basicly the way Martin put it. It's got a body structure like the 6335(slightly heavier than the 4335) but a two piece bell like the 4335. In my experience it's been a pretty nice horn for what I've needed it for. I play in a lot of different settings in my community and school, and it lends itself well to all of them. I think the tone is pretty full and solid, it can prjoject well when I need it to, and it plays pretty in tune most of the time. I know that I'm going to need a real pro horn later in high school and in college, so im saving up for that. My freind has a 6335, and she let me try it. The one difference I noticed in a small amount of playing time was that it responded a lot easier and slotted a lot better. I didnt feel as restricted. Overall thr 5335 is a nice horn for advancing students, but for a real serious student or someone above high school they should go with something more high end.

Has anyone else played one of these? I'm the only person I've ever met or talked to who owns one...
Trumpet_Mom
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried a 6335 against a 6310Z once and liked the Z better. But I own the Z, so I might be biased. I thought the Z had a better tone. The 6335 sounded thinner. I also own a 6335HGSII, which I like better for symphonic band style music. It has lots of power, a good solid tone. Nice deep, full low tones. I use the 6310Z for smaller group settings like jazz or commercial music. I just tried a Xeno 8345 lacquer model. If I was in the market for a new horn, I would buy that one.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: