• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

TRUMPETS ELEVEN

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Larry Smithee
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2003 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven’t heard anyone mention this cd but I just got my copy of “Trumpets Eleven” featuring an assortment of great trumpet players currently on the scene today. Outstanding players and great playing throughout the recording is the norm here that features the following icons of the horn:
Ryan Kisor
Malcolm McNab
Chris Botti
Phil Smith
Jim Hynes
Bobby Shew
Scott Wendholt
Chuck Findley
Tom Harrell
Randy Brecker
Eddie Henderson
These guys are featured and paired with trombonist Michael Davis, who produced and wrote all the arrangements for the cd and backed by a piano trio. The one exception is track 10, featuring Davis and trumpeter Jim Hynes in a duet that does not include the piano trio rhythm section. If you’ve ever wanted to hear Chris Botti actually play jazz here is your chance. This track combines Botti, Davis, and Phil Smith, on a tune called “Blue Day” that has Botti sounding and improvising a lot like Miles. I can’t recommend this cd too much. I ordered mine directly off the Hip-Bone web site at:
http://www.hip-bonemusic.com
Larry

[ This Message was edited by: Larry Smithee on 2003-11-29 18:10 ]
joetriscari
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a group of great players...!
Chuck Findley or Bobby Shew do any soloing??
Joe Triscari
Larry Smithee
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Joe,
Yes, each player is featured on a separate track throughout the recording’s 10 tracks. The one exception is the pairing of Phil Smith and Chris Botti, in which Smith plays an opening and closing solo section (obviously notated), with Botti improvising the middle section. I love this recording and have been devouring it more or less continuously for the past 2 days.
Larry
EBjazz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2003 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I grew up with Mike Davis and he's great. He's actually the bone player with the Rolling Stones.
His record Brass Nation is pretty cool too with like 50 brass players from LA, NY and Chicago.

Eb
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Recordings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: