• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Getzen Trumpet 490S Please Advise

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Viper12

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2003 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for the wealth of information in this forum. Before looking, I spent many hours reading here about what kind of student trumpet to purchase. I was looking for a barely used, or new trumpet on Ebay. I just purchased a Getzen 490S for my son, 12. We have been renting a Yamaha 2335 for a couple of months. He is just starting out, but loves the trumpet and pratices every night. Was this purchase a mistake? The rental fees are high, $30+ per month. What, if anything will he need to do to adapt to the new trumpet? Thanks again.
farmbrass

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2003 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Let me be the first to welcome you to the forum.

I doubt it was a mistake. I have a 25 year Getzen 300. I bought it cheap on ebay. My son keeps it at school during the week so he doesn't have to lug a horn back and forth. The thing is built like a tank and actually plays fairly well. I think the 490 is very similar. Assuming you did not get a lemon, this will be a fine trumpet for your child. If he ever wants a nicer horn, this would make a great back up or marching horn. With him practicing every night, he will adapt and improve very quickly.

Keith

[ This Message was edited by: farmbrass on 2003-12-10 22:05 ]
jhatpro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2003 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you made a good decision. Getzen makes fine horns. Your son is starting at a good age. The fact that he practices on his own each evening is a very good sign. The best thing you can do help him adapt to his new horn is help him find a good teacher, preferably one who plays trumpet. It's such a tough instrument to master it takes a player to know how to help a beginner develop a good embouchure and avoid bad habits that can hinder his playing later on.

You can also help a great deal by listening actively to his playing and giving him plenty of encouragement. Nothing is more discouraging to a young player than to realize everybody in the household is shutting their doors so as to not be bothered by his playing.

In addition, you can help by seeing that he gets a chance to hear live music whenever possible. I used to take my sons to early shows at the Jazz Showcase in Chicago and they still talk about seeing and hearing Dizzy and Jon Faddis up close.

Good luck! Your son is lucky to have such caring parents!

"The notes are there - find them.” Mingus

2021 Martinus Geelan Custom
2005 Bach 180-72R
1965 Getzen Eterna Severinsen
1946 Conn Victor
1998 Scodwell flugel
1986 Bach 181 cornet
1954 Conn 80A cornet
2002 Getzen bugle
Dano
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2003 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 490 is a great choice! I normally play pro grade trumpets and just purchased a 481 cornet for concert band parts I play. The 481 is the cornet version of the trumpet you purchased, And I sure couldn't be happier with my purchase. The Gold brass Lead pipe and bell really class up the horns!! I'm shocked at how well it plays for a Student line horn! I would expect nothingless from the Trumpet version!

Dano
OldKid
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think you can go wrong with Getzen or any other top brand horn. The mistake you might have made would be to purchase one of the $99.95 junk brands sold in discount stores.
King (early 50's) Super 20 B1.5C
Pocket Max B1.5C
Arban's
Horn of Praise
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get him some recordings of great players who have a "very good sound". He can listen to them and develop a "concept of sound" to work toward and emulate. In this area, it's never too early.

All the best.

[ This Message was edited by: Horn of Praise on 2003-12-11 19:13 ]
ML52K
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I purchased a 390 on Ebay after it was advertised as a key of C horn. After receiving it, it was quite clear that it was a B flat. But it was like new. I did a simple cleaning, relubed, and stuck my Curry 50S mouthpiece in it. I was shocked at how good this horn sounds and the really solid feel of the valves. I can only imagine the 490 is just that much better. And if it sparks your son's interest, you did not go wrong! Good job!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: