• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

lower pistoned brass

View previous topic :: View next topic  
B_Starry
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 6:14 am    Post subject: lower pistoned brass Reply with quote

Last edited by B_Starry on Fri Jun 17, 2005 3:06 am; edited 1 time in total
OldKid
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your best bet would be baritone or euphonium. They play much the same as a bass trumpet but have a much richer tone and will fill up the bottom much better than a bass trumpet or marching french horn. jmho.
King (early 50's) Super 20 B1.5C
Pocket Max B1.5C
Arban's
jhaysom
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that a baritone would be the best choice. Unless you're planning to make a career of it, you can buy an acceptable horn pretty cheap on ebay. I bought a Wexler from "Great tunes" for around US$180 and can't find anything wrong with it.
Yamaha 8310ZS trumpet
Yamaha 6310ZS trumpet
Courtois flugel
1941 King Silvertone cornet
1941 King 2B valve trombone
Kanstul 920 piccolo
etc.
camelbrass
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2003 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm actually a Tuba player turned trumpeter. I can't quite get the old lips working on Tuba anymore but I ocassionally double on Euphonium and would have to agree with the advice..Eupho or Baritone.

Regards

Trevor
Tootsall
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2003 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've played trumpet for 6 years now. About three weeks ago I rather rashly agreed to try to play a euphonium for the very first time in our "First annual" tuba Christmas (hey...there wasn't enough interest to get something going for trumpets like they have in Atlanta). Someone loaned me a 4 valve Yamaha and ...for what it's worth, I found the thing was actually quite easy to play. Had a couple of issues while learning what those low Gs and Cs sounded like but other than that.... it wasn't really a big deal. Nice full sound. Fingering dead on (we used treble cleff music) to what you'd use on trumpet (pretend the 4th valve isn't there). Just don't try to push them. (and.... give yourself a couple of hours before trying to go back to that dinky little trumpet mouthpiece!).

pjtpt

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2003 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I were to come back in my next life I might be a Euphonium player (instead of trumpet). I really like the singing quality of the instrument. I love the way the sound fills up a room. Some one said this earlier but they're right--you can't play the euphonium like a trumpet if you "push it" it will not sound right. It's that old conical vs. cylindrical, cornet vs. trumpet type of concept.

I've gotten to the point where I can comfortably go back and forth between trumpet and euphonium (or trombone). You have to let your face get comfortable with the larger mouthpiece (and your lungs with the larger instrument).
KevinInGeorgia
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2003 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lately I seem to double on everything...
I play more Alto Horn, Euphonium & Eb Tuba then I have Trumpet lately..

Alto Horn: You can Play Horn parts or Eb Sax parts, Easier to double on then F-Horn & can get them cheap on Ebay.

Euphonium/Baritone: I play a LOT of Euphonium.. I have a Yamaha 4 valve & just got done Playing it with Tuba Christmas in Atlanta. You can pick up a Cheap 3 valve Baritone on Ebay & they are easy to play, same fingerings as trumpet & you can read Bb Treble clef parts..

Eb Tuba: Find them Cheap on Ebay, Not as big as a Full Size Tuba.. You can read Treble ( Barisax parts) or Bass Clef parts.. Trick to reading Bass Clef if you are use to playing trumpet is Read the Bass Clef as if it were treble & add 3 Sharps.

The biggest thing you will have to work on with the Baritone/Euphonium & Tuba is the lower register.. Also take some time & get yourself a nice Mouthpieces.. I use a Schlike 51D but that might be a little big to start on .. If you deicide to try Eb Tuba then I would try one of the Smaller Wick Mouthpieces maybe a 4.

Good luck,
Kevin
plankowner110
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2003 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get a B-flat baritone. Check your local music stores that operate repair shops before going to eBay as they usually have some decent baritones in the back of the store that they will sell cheaply. Baritone is easy to play, and you can play Baritone Treble Clef (T.C.) parts using your trumpet fingerings. It will be the easiest double for you and it will give your small ensemble a good bottom sound.

I wouldn't recommend a mellophone because it won't give you the deeper sound you desire. The mellophone is an F horn. Modern band music usually comes with F Horn parts, whereas older pieces (1960s and older) will have E-flat horn parts.

(Just some suggestions from an old band teacher)
Tootsall
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blonde in the cheerleader squad to the band tubist..."Hey...is that a tuba mouthpiece in your pocket or are you just glad to see me?"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: