• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Yamaha 6310Z

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jazzartizt1742
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was wondering what ya'll thought of this horn. Is it a good copy of A Schilke B7? B5? i dono i just want to know what people think of this horn b4 trying it out. ne advice gladly accepted!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
_dcstep
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many of us like the Z. Use the Search function here and read much that's been written. If there are any questions left, feel free to ask.

Dave
jazzartizt1742
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard it feels "stuffy" to some pple is that true or just feels that way from person to person? that is the only thing "bad" i have ever heard about the Z.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
PatchesTheCat
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I loved that horn when I owned it. I wouldn't compare it to a Schilke B5, a B7 is about as close of a comparison that you'll get. The blow is very close between the two horns. I always felt that the Schilke partials were closer together and and notes slotted lower though.

My only criticism of the Z would be that the body and valve casings are too light. The horn will vibrate in your hand and if you apply a fair amount of pressure on the thumb saddle it is actually possible to seize the first valve. Schilke's do not have this problem as they use one of the heaviest casings in the industry. Valve action on the Schilke is substantially better and I have felt that the Schilke offered more overtones to the sound.

For the prices each manufacturer is charging (silver Z at WWBW ~ $14-1500, Schilke ~ $1900) I do feel that the extra money Schilke is asking is warranted and in the long run of owning a horn a very small sacrifice. Definitely try them both out, you may have a blow preference or a sound preference. Either of the horns would make a great investment if you find that they have the characteristics you are looking for.

I would also recommend trying the new 8310Z, Callet Jazz or Stratosphere models, and Schilke S42 if you are looking at medium bores. Have fun test playing and try to make a day of it for best results. There are still lots of great horns out there so don't limit your selection, try as many as you can get your hands on...you never know what you'll like.

Regards.
PatchesTheCat
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In regards to stuffiness:

It was a hard horn to play at first. The blow was radically different from my ML bore Bach. It took me 3 months to back off the airflow and allow the horn to work for me. You can't approach it like a normal trumpet and gas the air. You sort of have to let it accept the air in reasonable quantities. The upper register was always very open on this trumpet

Once you adapt to it, it is the easiest horn to play and it is very difficult to play "normal" trumpets again. You really have to work to get that kind of sound on a ML bore horn. Not that the Z will play itself, but it is a very relaxed trumpet.

This explanation may not have helped but others may speak about this and clarify a little.

Regards again.
Halflip
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own one. When I first tried it in a music store, I couldn't believe how easily it played and how mellow it could sound. After I bought it, I actually sold a Chicago-era Monette that I had because I enjoyed playing the Z horn more (and also because it weighed a lot less). I don't find it stuffy (something I HAVE found in a fair number of ML bore Bach Strads I've played).

I've tried the Schilke B5 and B7, and while there are some similarities, I don't think the Z horn is a cheaper copy of either one (as has been suggested at times on other threads). The blow and the sound are different than those of either Schilke model. I haven't noticed any problem with the thickness of the metal in the valve casings, either. I think the solder joints in the tubing would give before the casing walls would flex enough to seize a valve (assuming I could put that much pressure on the thumb saddle, that is).

I actually had a repair shop strip the lacquer and send it to Anderson for gold plating, which made the sound even more mellow.

I think you'd really like the horn. If you're not in a hurry, you should wait and try the 8310Z coming out in January, too.
MarkHeuer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2003 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My two main Bb horns the last couple years have been a late 70's Bach Strad 37 and a Xeno 8335 RGS. Recently I sold them both and bought a laquer 6310Z. I'm glad I did. It is so much easier for me to play. The adjustment period for me was about 5 minutes. I may splurge for an 8310Z when they come out in '04. Then again, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". The 6310Z seems to be working just fine for me right now.

[ This Message was edited by: MarkHeuer on 2003-12-18 04:23 ]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: