• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Help identifying (Kanstul) Burbank Trumpet

View previous topic :: View next topic  
WFUnix
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2003 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently bought a Burbank Trumpet that I'd like more info about. From what I've read there were 3 lines, 700, 900, and the Star models. The horn I purchased does not have a model number or Star engraved as far as I can tell. I called Kanstul and they said it was made in 1986 and was a "Model 5." The valve buttons look just like the old Benges, but the 3rd valve slide does not have the brace I'm used to, nor does it have a 3rd valve stop. This leads me to believe it is either a 700 or 900 series, but it plays very very well! I took a couple of pics with my webcam at http://damon.nocrash.net/burbank . On the bell reads" THE BURBANK TRUMPET" with the Burbank address. Underneath the address is something that is too faint to see - looks like it might be "5X" but I just can't tell. Any insight on the model of this horn would be greatly appreciated!

Edited to say: The 2nd valve slide is going the opposite way of the old Benges as well, which further leads me to believe this is not their top model.

[ This Message was edited by: WFUnix on 2003-12-18 20:57 ]

[ This Message was edited by: WFUnix on 2003-12-18 21:15 ]
Trptbenge
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2003 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chances are it is the 5 bell. After UMI moved production of the Benge to Eastlake Oh. Zig Kanstul and Donald Benge started a line of Burbank Trumpets. Which were just LA Benges under a different name. UMI did not take the tools or Mandrels with them when they moved. They were purchased by Zig Kanstul. The only thing that bothers me a little bit about the pictures is the 2'nd valve slide is poing toward the player - instead of toward the bell like a Benge. Maybe someone who owns a Burbank can help.

Mike
Martin
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2003 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn´t worry about the 2nd valve slide.
I´ve seen Burbanks with a "regular" slide (pointing back) on eBay which were top-of-the-line horns. One of them had a reverse lead pipe and a "star" bell which was marked "1s" - probably a Calicchio copy.
The current line of Kanstul Burbanks are all true Benge copies with the forward-pointing slide, though.

Martin
elbobogrande
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2003 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Martin,
Although I'm often wrong, I believe when you say the "current Burbank," you actually mean the current *Chicago* model. That's the Kanstul that's the same as the old Benges (with the second slide pointing forward). To my knowledge, Kanstul hasn't produced a Burbank trumpet since the Kanstul-name horns were introduced. Can you, Martin, or anyone clarify whether there was ever a trumpet that had BOTH Kanstul and Burbank on it? I might just call Jack K. later this morning to see if he can shed any light.
I know this is mostly minutia, but I'm curious about the historical info.
Thanks,
John
Martin
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2003 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John,

actually there is a Kanstul "Burbank" line of trumpets made after the initial (pre-Kanstul) Burbank horns.
I do not know when Kanstul re-introduced these horns, but they are currently gaining some popularity in Europe. I´m pretty sure that they are still being made - I got a brand new catalogue in the mail some months ago.
I had one for a while (a large bore 6*), and while I don´t remember the bell stamp exactly, it included both "Burbank" and "Kanstul Anaheim". It was a very nice player, but had severe valve alignment problems so I sold it.
I remember that they were distributed by Michael Thomas International, but their website is down...

Martin

[ This Message was edited by: Martin on 2003-12-19 15:05 ]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: