• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

How to work on speed and accuracy??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nickyboy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2003 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it possible to do at the same time?? I'tried to do it on a few pecies at school but i could only work it one step at a time and to be frank i rather spend time workin on some of the stuff i have here at home. So is there any possible way to work speed and accuracy together that doesnt take long (and let me guess your gunna say practice duh!) My next peice to work on is flight of the bumblebee (which whative done is hard on a quater note and slow tempo) but im gunna work on that after district/all-state tryouts
valvepimp
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2003 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the increased ability to play with speed and accuracy, I highly recommend Clarke Technical Studies. Practice these daily. For the specific piece Flight of the Bumblebee, I recommend that you get it down pat at half tempo, or roughly quarter note equal to 104. When there is no question that you have it down at that speed, then you may increase the tempo gradually until you're up to 208 or wherever you care to play it.

[ This Message was edited by: valvepimp on 2003-12-19 20:11 ]
JoseLindE4
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2003 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The secret to playing fast and accurate is to play slow and accurate. Otherwise you'll just play fast an innaccurate which we don't really want.
trumpetmike
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2003 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go for accuracy first.

Any fool can play quick and crap!

If you can play a piece accurately and slowly, it is a relatively easy job speeding it up whilst retaining the accuracy. If you learn it too fast and don't obtain the accuracy early on, becoming more accurate is much harder, trust me!

I realise that this is not necessarily the answer you are looking for, but I have found that there is no real substitute for proper practising.
We all wish there was a quick fix, but as yet, I haven't found one.
nickyboy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2003 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i kinda figured that is what would be said so i guess i just have to live with it oh well
valvepimp
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2003 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nickyboy, practicing can be a shortcut to better everything. You can accomplish what other players accomplish in two years in only one year if your practice sessions are longer and more diligent than those of others. I used to sometimes feel my playing improve in spurts that were often related to extended practice. Generally improvement on the trumpet will be a gradual exercise, but here and there you can notice a direct payoff from a day or two's work.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: