• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Olds Ambassador Cornet

View previous topic :: View next topic  
trumpetplayer87
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2003 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just bought an Olds Ambassador Cornet from an old teacher of mine. It plays nice, all the lacquer looks great, it says [Olds Ambassador] Fullerton, Calif. The serial number is A36xxx. He asked $200, and since he's a friend of the family and all, I didn't try to talk him down any.
I checked the thread about dating Olds, I'm going to try to find out about what year it was made from the link there.

What do you all think, was this a good buy? I haven't done any research into cornets, so I was just guessing that it was worth that much with the lacquer, case, + mpc.

Bonnie

Sounds: http://www.sitesled.com/members/bonniej
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2003 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bonnie, your cornet was made in early 1979, the last year of production. I like the way Olds Ambassadors play, so to me they are worth more than $200, except you definitely overpaid as far as the going rate. For a late Fullerton manufacture such as yours, with most of its lacquer and few dents, you could have picked up something on eBay for between $90 and $140. I got my late Fullerton for $50. Lacquer on it is only about 50% and there were some dents, but it plays like a dream. Mine was made in 1964. If you like the way yours plays, don't sweat having overpaid somewhat, because no one could replicate the quality of those cornets for $200 nowadays.
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2003 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I figured since no one replied right away it wasn't that great a deal. Still....it plays well, it's $200 worth to me I guess. My dad still thinks I can at least get my money back on it, having almost perfect lacquer, and one very small ding on the middle valve tuning slide. Anyhow...thanks for the info..if I play it for a while and then sell it I will have gotten my money's worth, even if I loose a few dollars.

Bonnie

Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2003 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bonnie -

If you have a few dollars down the road, one thing you can do is have the Olds bell replaced with a Yamaha shepherds crook one. I am having one of these made/refinished at this time and think it will be a unique instrument. Olds fans who see it get real excited till they see it is a Yammie bell and not a coveted shepherds crook Ambassador.

- Paul Artola
Ellicott City, Maryland
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
trumpetplayer87
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2003 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How does the shepherds crook change the sound?
I played the cornet today at our concert and I couldn't get over the tone. I'm starting to like the cornet (in general) more and more...
Bonnie

Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2003 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of all the horns I own, That cheap Olds Ambassador has the richest tone of them all. I don't understand it. How can that be? At the time I bought it for $150 on ebay, I felt like I overbid, but I'll tell you now, I WOULDN'T sell it for $500.
smithwatkinsguy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2003 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an Olds Ambassador cornet that I'm willing to let go for $100!!!! It's one of the first made, though...dates back to '56! I played it for a while over the summer but I got the point in my head that I am definitely NOT a cornet player. If anybody wants more info on this, just email me at gangi@hartford.edu
Rhode Island All-State Orchestra
The Hartt School of Music
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
crzytptman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2003 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My '57 was bought by one guy from a swap meet for $20, a former student bought it for $40, and I traded him a couple of lessons for it. Zero lacquer with just a few character marks. I'm frequently asked - "did you get a Monette?". What a sound! It is not for sale.

Nate
- TH member and advertiser (name withheld)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: