• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

How to get Pedal Notes?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
oj
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2003 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nathan,

As I've already suggested, get B.E !

ASAP!

On page 60 - 61 Jeff explain how the Callet-style double pedals help you. He list 3 main ways, but I will not tell you what they are. You have to buy the book?

Since you already know about Callet, you should also study B.E. They are, as I think you know, "related"!

Best wishes,

Ole

[ This Message was edited by: oj on 2003-11-27 16:42 ]
thebulldog

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2003 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2003-11-27 15:55, trump_it wrote:
Bulldog-
I suppose you're pretty proud of yourself for adding to my post in your quote. I hope you didn't strain your mind trying to figure out how to do it. It's people like you who I really can't stand. You changed my words to make me look bad. You assumed that since I am in high school, I don't know how to play trumpet nor the pedagoy of trumpet.
I didn't get to be one of the top 5 high school trumpet players in New York State without hours of practice and research of different methods of trumpet playing every day. I wasn't accepted by the New England Conservatory and Eastman School of Music because I'm a poor trumpet player. My post was a mere regurgitation of what Jerome Callet teaches. This is what I've found most effective. I am not alone in this finding.

If everyone would read my post and not his quotation of it, you'll se that this person is nothing but a damned troll.

EDIT: I'd be interested to know what exactly I said that was false- FALSE, not contrary to your opinion. Oh wait...I didn't say anything false? Yeah, that's what I thought.

Raw Brass Bb Bach Strad 25
Silver C Bach Strad 229
Red Brass Yamaha YFH-631G Flugel

New York State 2003 Conference All-State Musician

<font size=-2>[ This Message was edited by: trump_it on 2003-11-27 16:04 ]</font>

Nathan, I applaud and congratulate you for having worked so hard and I will assume here that you have accomplished many of your personal performance goals to date. I too am from NY, and did All State and beyond and now I make my living humbly playing the trumpet.

"If everyone would read my post and not his quotation of it, you'll se that this person is nothing but a damned troll."

Now, if you´ll notice in my original post I quoted your entire post, not bits and pieces, nothing changed or moved, I did nothing to make you look bad, you accomplished that all on your own.
trump_it
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2003 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you did quote my entire post. I said nothing to the contrary. What I said was that you added to my post. The words "You," "for" and "example" never appear in the same sentence in my post. Go back and read your post in which you quote me. Then read the quotation. I hope this isn't too taxing for you.
_bugleboy
Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2003 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nathan is right. Bulldog quoted him and in that quote there is a sentence that is not in the original quote by trump_it. That sentence is,

"You, for example"

Bulldog now says,

Now, if you´ll notice in my original post I quoted your entire post, not bits and pieces, nothing changed or moved,

But something was changed. A new sentence appears in Bulldog's quote that wasn't in the original.

What say you Bulldog?
trump_it
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2003 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bulldog-

Upon further observation I see that you weren't trying to embellish my post, you were merely trying to insult me. You were suggesting that I don't know the purpose of pedal tones, but instead you ended up typing in my post. Edit accordingly, and I'll edit my posts directed personally towards you.
It seems to me that you are someone who frequents this board and just signed up for a new name, in order to bash me with anonymity. If that is not the case, then you have chosen a very fiery way to join the board. If you plan to continue with this attitude, I wish you the best of luck.
_dcstep
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2003 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2003-11-27 11:37, trump_it wrote:
We should not be playing pedal tones for the sake of making a low note come out.

There's a video around of Arturo Sandavol playing pedals musically in the middle of a solo on some jazz song. I saw the video late one night sitting in a hospital on some PBS fundraiser type show back in about 1993. At the time, my impression was that the tape was at least a year or two old, since they seemed to be using it as filler at about 3 a.m. Anyway, Arturo, a Maggio student, was amazingly fast in the pedal register. His tone was big and full. So, if someone wanted to, they could make music in the pedal register.

Dave
trumpetteacher1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2003 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of turn-of-the-century guys used pedals in their solos. I have a 1905 recording of Bohumir Kryl playing the Carnival of Venice theme and variations, chock full of pedal tones. What a trip!

Of course, I don't claim to know which pedal embouchure that he was using.

Jeff Smiley
http://www.trumpetteacher.net
trumpetdiva1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2003 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2003-11-26 05:27, Haegge wrote:
Whatever i try i'm not able to get the Pedals with my regular embouchure, i'm also have some Problems to start the low F#.

When i open my Aparture as big as possible and blow up my Cheeks, i could get the Pedals but not with my regular setup.

Any ideas to practise that? Or should i first practise to get my low F# better before thinking about Pedals?

For help with making the low F# more solid, here is a suggestion: start softly in C then go to B, B-flat, A, A-flat, G, and finally hold the F-sharp. Once you are achieving good results, then play the low F-sharp by itself at “pp” and hold it. (This is what is called recovery in Caruso. However, others may call it by some other name). Maybe then work on the pedals notes. What has helped me the most with pedals is practicing Caruso‘s chromatic pedals and chord pedals. Stay on 1-2-3 valve fingerings in the pedals, as Charly mentioned.

Janell Carter

[ This Message was edited by: trumpetdiva1 on 2003-11-28 14:04 ]
Haegge

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2003 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the advices, i will try to work a little harder on my low F#. I figured out that my tone becomes clearer and my lips feel better after 10 minutes playing down to the low F#, but i'm a little bit afraid that this will open up my Arpature again.
_dcstep
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2003 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haegge,

I'm sorry to see that we've been talking all around your original question the core of which was that you couldn’t really get the low F#. You also mentioned pedals, so we latched onto that at took off on a flyer, getting into double pedals, Callet and Balanced Embouchure.

Getting back to that F#, it sounds like you're overblowing. You should be able to use 1-2-3 and get that note with your "normal" embouchure. Maybe you need to pull the horn away from your lips just a little. If you get the G, then the F# should work with pretty much the same blow.

I can't resist saying that you need to adopt an integrated embouchure system. Are you our friend in Germany that doesn't have a qualified teacher available? If so, I strongly suggest that you order the Balanced Embouchure book and CD. It is extremely well written and meant to be studied without a teacher. It is totally complete and you'll gain from it. The pictures and explanations are clear CD shows you exactly how the notes should sound.

Good luck,

Dave
Haegge

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2003 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dave,

yes, it's hard to find a good teacher in this area, i figured out that the other guy "omahatrumpet" is living really close to me and he has to fight the same problem. We have arranged a trip to a good trumpetteacher in Southern Germany next year (Thanks to Trumpet Herald).

I worked hard on low F# the last week and it seems that i could start the note with the tounge really well after a while of practice. If i try to start the note with a breath attack i could first hear some noise between C# and low F# which then will went to low F# But i think with a little more training this will be better. There is a good side effect, my lips feel much softer and my tone becomes better. Yesterday at a 2 1/2 hour gig i was surprised that my endurance is much better. Really nice.

Edit: For the Book i have to discuss with my wife, because i bought the Caruso Book this Month, for the next book i need a really good reason to convince? her. :smile:

[ This Message was edited by: Haegge on 2003-12-01 03:04 ]
_dcstep
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Caruso is excellent. The advantage of the B.E. book and CD is that it's absolutely complete, with numerous photos, much explaination and wonderful examples of how things should sound. When you consider how much your receive the price is very reasonable. Most studies are designed to be presented by a teacher while the B.E. book is designed for self-study. Still, I understand the need to budget.

Dave
kalijah
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't blame Nathan, he probably heard some mis-informed instructor teaching this.

I actually had a young player once say to me:

"You should always use as much air as possible, even on soft notes!"

Well, this child knew nothing of "efficiency". Which is the concept of getting more results with less effort.

As far as pedals go, it is important to learn to play them with your "normal" embouchure. Also while striving to make them as legitimate sounding as possible. Not only are they an excercise in low-tension, low-pressure playing but they help develop sub-harmonics in your tone. But they must be practiced with the same embouchure you use for normal playing for the "subs" to become part of your tone.
AccentOnTrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2003 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Derek,

I have heard of Bill Lucas's pedal tones book. He is excellent at playing the pedals. I remember he played pedal C for me open, something I have never been able to do. I always find myself pushing down all three valves or something like that...lol.

I might see him next month and I will get an update on that book.

Peace,

Josh
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: