• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Tear in lip muscle

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jerome Callet
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tptguy
Jerome Callet Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2003 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Author
nicolashuang
Veteran Member

Posted: 2003-01-06 04:02
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My upper left lip muscle is spoilt (Very very weak). I spoilt it a year ago by overplaying. It's impossible for me to buzz now, air escapes from the left. Is it possible to play with superchops? because I read that superchops makes use of centre compression while the corners are relaxed.
Is it possible to use superchops? or superchops with maggio's?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

tptguy
Heavyweight Member

Posted: 2003-01-07 01:35
I started SC with the same ailment. The best solution is the spit buzz. Do that 5 - 15 minutes a day away from horn and mouthpiece. That's the solution for the problem as well as the essential setup needed for starting SC. In my experience, Maggio will not help you here. With Maggio, the lips stay out away from the mouthpiece. As you blow air against them the lips will continue forward without grip so they'll lose more air. Best regards, Kyle

nicolashuang
Veteran Member

Posted: 2003-01-08 03:12
Is it possible to use superchops with an extreme pucker like kissing?

tptguy
Heavyweight Member

Posted: 2003-01-08 18:38
<<Is it possible to use superchops with an extreme pucker like kissing? >>

No, you cannot use Superchops and an actual pucker. Though in Superchops you must have a "padded" embouchure, lip pressure must go back against the tongue. If you continue to retain a pucker then you are assisting the collapse of your lips into the mouthpiece. For Superchops, that's never a good idea. Best regards, Kyle

nicolashuang
Veteran Member

Posted: 2003-02-08 04:28
tptguy: u mean u also had a torn muscle with air escaping, and u managed to fix it by spit buzzing 5mins to 15mins a day? is it ok to still play the trumpet, 'cos my band competition's ard the corner

tptguy
Heavyweight Member

Posted: 2003-02-08 09:56
Nicolas, I didn't have an actual tear in my lip. From a previous embrochure I was using, I had completely neglected the left side of my face. The lips really weren't working at all. Air escaped, pressure built. Lip buzzing definitely fixed this situation for me. 5-10 minutes a day of buzzing over probably 6 months in order to get things balanced out (did most of it in my car while driving and still do). But yes, I continued to play and do the rest of my normal stuff. I just added the 5-10 minutes buzzing on top of the rest. Made everything easier. Please keep us updated on your progress or solutions. Best regards, Kyle

nicolashuang
Veteran Member

Posted: 2003-02-09 05:55
I've got air escaping from the left side of my lip too but I'm afraid mine's a tear 'cos it feels very weak.. I think i'll probrably have to go for surgery

tptguy
Heavyweight Member

Posted: 2003-02-09 07:22
If you feel you might have an actual tear then it's probably time to consult a doctor. But, try to find a doctor that has some knowledge for brass playing. Please keep us updated. And, good luck with it. Best regards, Kyle
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jerome Callet All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: