• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Schilke 14A4X

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tromba mann
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My new Stomvi Elite Picc came yesterday (yehaa) with lots of neat stuff - an A pipe, a short slide extension for the 4th valve, a cool pouch to hold it all. Unfortunately, the mpc was not one of those neat things. It came with their interpretation of a Bach 7E cornet shank mpc. Yikes. Not good for me.

Can anyone comment on their experiences with the Schilke 14A4X cornet shank mpc on a non-P5-4 picc?
UsedBits
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a Schilke 10A4a on my Stomvi picc. It works great. It also is perfect for my D/Eb.

Am thinking of getting a 6A4a just to see what all the fuss is about.

If the 10A4a doesn't translate well onto my Bb and C trumpets, I might also try the 10A4 and 6A4 (both without the little 'a', meaning that these would have the standard, not the tight, backbores).
Benge Bb, 5x, ml #8162
Benge C, 2x+, mlp #7481
Benge D/Eb, ml #6579
Benge Flug, ml #17xxx
Stomvi piccolo, m15, #901885
Boston 3-Star 1 NE Plus Ultra LP #22019
Martin Committee #151322
Bach Strad (NY) 7-10-62, #2003
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
pedaltonekid
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2003 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I play a Schilke 14A4X on a selmer piccolo with great results. It is the best piccolo trumpet mouthpiece I have ever played. It also works very well on a B&S Challenger that I have played. It works great for both Bb and A.
tromba mann
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2003 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies. After I posted, I realized there was a very similar thread about the 14a4x and the Stomvi Elite. I went ahead and ordered the 14a4x. It sure enough bottoms out in the leadpipe. But with one layer of scotch tape around the shank(temporary), it plays great. Much flatter (and wider?) rim than the Stomvi 7e and, of course, much shallower and tighter. The upper range (above concert high c) speaks much easier, but the sound is thinner in the staff. You have to back off the Schilke to get a good sound but it works great. I'll probably use it as my oh sh-- piece or when what I'm playing needs to be extra, extra light and clear. I can almost get a C or Bb sound from the 7e and my 3d is a monster. The Stomvi is able to take FFF on the 3d without spreading or breaking up.

[ This Message was edited by: tromba mann on 2003-12-29 13:59 ]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: