• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

where to get mpc gold plated

View previous topic :: View next topic  
trumpetsforever4

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2003 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just wondering where I could go to get my mouthpiece gold plated. does anyone have any websites or anything, or suggestions? Thanks for your time.
Yamaha Xeno YTR-8335GS
Bach 3C and Yamaha 16C4 heavyweight GP
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
maynard-46
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2003 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.goldchops.com

BW
TRUMPE: YAMAHA Lacq. "Shew Gen II" / Legends .585 "CatMaster" Top / KT "TKO" BB / Reeves #5.75 Sleeve.
FLUGELHORN: ADAMS Custom "F1" / Legends .585 "CatMaster FL.
drunkiq
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2003 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

$30??? that seems kind of expensive... maybe because he has a 1 week turn around??

-marc
bflat7p

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2003 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gold Chops does a great job at a resonable price.
mbailey
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2003 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The site says that the plating process is *electroplating*, and also as the site says, the plating is very thin. Seems like electroplate would be especially susceptible to scratches, etc. How does this compare with getting a mpc gold-plated from the manufacturer originally? (I've never had a gold-plated mpc.) Just curious...
James B. Quick
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2003 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a way to plate a mouthpiece other than electroplating? jbqd
trumpetsforever4

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2003 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone ever used gold chops before? $30 does seem about right. I've only seen 2 places and that's gold chops and osmun and they are both $30 plus shipping both ways to get the entire mouthpiece done. I'm not interested in getting the entire thing done though I just want the rim and cup done, it has that unique look I want. Plus getting the exterior of the shank does is just for appearance. The week turn around does look nice from Gold Chops though because I'm still in high school so I definately need my mouthpiece at least every other day because I currently play french horn for concert band. So the week turn around is a definite plus.
Yamaha Xeno YTR-8335GS
Bach 3C and Yamaha 16C4 heavyweight GP
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
tptguy
Jerome Callet Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2003 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lee Adams does gold plating for horns and mouthpieces:

http://www.trumpetchops.com/serv_goldsilverplating.htm
GR Tech

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2003 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cost of $30 for Gold plating a mouthpiece is not out of line. You must know more information about the process. Is it brush plating or tank plating? How thick is the plating? What is the knoop value of the plating? How is the mouthpiece prepared? Does this plating company comply with hazardous waste laws?

Is it brush plating or tank plating? Brush plating is very thin and usually only fills in the pours. It is usually less that 10 millionths thick (.00001"). It is not desirable except when touching up, doing trim, or something like the inside of a bell. I would not recommend it for a high wear item like a mouthpiece. Tank plating by professionals is more consistent and durable.

How thick is the plating? Gold plating is not applied very thick. Most professionals will plate Gold over Silver. I have seen Gold plating so thick that it fractures! An average Gold plating is .000025" to .0001". That 25 millionths to 100 millionths (1 ten thousandth). The industry refers to this as 25 mills or 100 mills. I specify my Gold plating to be 200 mils. You need special equipment to measure this.

What is the knoop value of the plating? It is the hardness of the plating. Gold is usually soft and has a lower knoop value. It will wear off quickly if polished too much or abused. On the other hand it can last many years if you are careful. Some platers will use 24K some 18K some less. They can add hardeners and brightening agents that increase the knoop value. A harder gold or higher knoop value may be more durable but will it feel the same? The correct combination of hardness and thickness will give best results.

How is the mouthpiece prepared? This is the most important part. Ask about this, experience is usually a good indicator. How long have they been preparing mouthpieces for plating?

Does this plating company comply with hazardous waste laws? Most people don't have any knowledge in this area. If you use a plating company that is not treating hazardous waste in compliance with the law and they get caught the customer can also be liable. If damages exceed the amount they can pay it is an option to go after customers for the additional liabilities.

Terry Vantine of Anderson Silver Plating will Gold Plate any GR mouthpiece over existing Silver. I don't know if he will do this for others. They are experienced in preparation. They are closed for the Holidays doing maintenance work. You can contact Terry for the details at 574-294-6447.

[ This Message was edited by: GR Tech on 2003-12-29 10:19 ]
drunkiq
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2003 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe it is not out of line, since that seems to be the norm - the last ones I had gold plated where less than $20 each... the person I used sends them to Anderson silver plating...

-marc

[ This Message was edited by: drunkiq on 2003-12-29 13:44 ]
silverhorn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2003 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haved used Gold Chops before and the plating seems just as good as any of the other mouthpieces I own that were gold plated by Monette, Giardinelli, Bach, Reeves, Laskey, etc.
_ConnMan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2003 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goldchops is TOP NOTCH! His (Jim Dearing) work is fast and EXCELLENT! I had a Bach 5C done about 2 1/2 years ago and it looks like it did when I got it.

Go for it, you'll love it!

Kanstul 1600 "WB" w/ Kanstul two-piece B3C & S72 BB
Connstellation 38B
Kanstul 925 Flugelhorn (copper bell) w/ Kanstul two-piece BFL3C w/ 119S BB
Jupiter 416BL Pocket Trpt.
www.measureofgrace.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: