• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Hetman synthetic Valve oil

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Welk
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've went to music store today and asked for wath would be the best oil for my Besson (intermediate trumpet). I've been reffered to the Hetman synthetic lubricant 3. It is pretty fluid and works fine...anyone have heard about it? IF yes what are your commentary?

52' Olds Recording LA
Wick gold 4X

-=0=-Music is what gives us the beat, but it is also what makes beat our heart -=0=-
ARB
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2003 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use only Hetman oils on my horns. I use #1 on my newer horns and #2 on my vintage horns. I have not yet used the #3, but I'm sure it's just as good just a bit thicker.

00 Schilke S22
77 LA Benge 5X
63 Burbank Benge C

"It's what we think we know that keeps us from knowing"
atom_anderson
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2003 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Hetman 2 on all my horns and it is the best I've used. It lasts a long time and makes the valves quite fast. I hear that it doesn't mix well with other oils, so if you are switching, make sure you clean your valves and valve casings very well first.

-Atom
valvepimp
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2003 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Atom - would you say that a thorough enough cleaning to warrant the introduction of Hetman oil would entail washing and drying the valves and valve casings? Or might a thorough wipedown with a cloth or paper towel be sufficient?
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2003 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me too, Hetman 2 for all around and 3 for vintage in need of a better seal. Miraculous stuff.
It is compatable with regular oil so you don't have to do a special cleanup, just regular maintenance.
Irving
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2003 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Valve oil is a funny thing. While brand x might work great on my horn, it might not work at all on yours. We all have different body chemistry, and that ends up having to do with how the valve oil ends up working. Sometimes any oil might work fine on one of my horns, while on another only one oil will do. Just today I was using Hetmann's oil, and one of my valves (the one that always needs to be oiled) just seized up. I took it out, cleaned it with a rag, and used lamp oil instead. That ended up working.

There isn't just one answer. You will all have to find which oil works best on each horn by trail and error.
musiclifeline
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2003 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Valvepimp:
Clean the valves and casings thoroughly with soap and warm water, plus flush the horn with lukewarm water to remove as much of the old oil as possible. Otherwise your valves may gum up. Do the same if you switch back to a natural oil. Valve oil gets everywhere...

Oh, and Hetman rawks.
trumplyr
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2003 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, this is a me too. I use Hetman Regular on my old Bach Bb, & Hetman Light on all my other horns. They're much newer with tighter valves. I use Hetman Rotary on my...............yup, rotary & Hetman's slide grease on the slides. I haven't tried very many different brands over the years. Basically used Cass which was fine fine on the old horn but bogged down the new ones. Switched to Hetman across the board and have had great results.

I recently borrowed my buddy's blue juice in an emergency and it worked good, so I'm not sure about Hetman not working/mixing with other stuff. I also really like Schilke's lanolin slide grease, good stuff.
Pedro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2003 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have'nt tried the valve oil but the Hetman slide grease sure works well on my older Bach's tuning slide. You know, the slide is at that age where its saying..."I ain't stayin' no matter what you put on me!!!" Well, it shut up after the Hetman!! Can never remember the number but if you have one of "those" slides, I highly recommend it!!!
_dcstep
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used Binak Pro on my 6310Z for the two years that I owned it; however, I took a big ration of crap from the purchaser (thanks Mark) who thought the valves were incredibly sluggish. So, for my new Selmer Paris Concept TT I went on an extended search for a superior oil. Over the last two months I've totally cleaned my horn with Simple Green and switched oils at least a dozen times. The oils tried included Binak Pro, Roche Thomas, Bach, Yamaha, Al Cass and, finally, Hetman #1 Light Piston synthetic.

In both my brand new Selmer and my 20+ year old Yamaha 731 flugel, the Hetman is by far the superior oil. Al Cass comes close when first applied, but the Hetman seems to improve on the 2d and 3d days while Al Cass needs new application fairly quickly. The Binak is ok in the flugel, but never gets fast enough in the brand new Selmer. When I use just two drops of Binak (spread carefully to cover the whole valve) I hear an slight metal-to-metal rubbing sound that I don't like. Adding more slows the valves.

These days I only play indoors. I think that I read of someone having trouble with Hetman's in freezing weather, but that's not a concern to me. SO, my new oil is Hetman's #1 Light Piston oil. Brook Mays has a clearance, so I'm going to buy a couple of more bottles for insurance. You DFW guys may want to call Roger Holmes at the LBJ store to get one of the 16 bottles left over.

Dave
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: