• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Finale Notepad

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Derek

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2004 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry if this is in the wrong section, because I didn't see one designated for this sort of thing. Well my problem is this: when I transcribe solos in Finale Notepad (I'm using the demo because I can't afford the full version) I am unable to put certain articulations and ornaments like marcatos and grace notes in... which are both pretty necessary in order to transcribe jazz solos accurately. So I'd like to know if there are any other CHEAP alternatives to this, as I would like to have these options. Thanks
elbobogrande
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2004 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's always the ol' CD player, pencil and music paper. Or if you're dead set on using the computer, you can always scribble in the articulations and such after you print your finale file.
John
mafields627
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2004 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are cheaper finale-like versions available from Coda Music like Allegro and Print Music, which will provide more functionality than Notepad but less than Finale.

No representation is made that the quality of this post is greater than the quality of that of any other poster. Oh, and get a teacher!
_Japle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2004 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Derec,

Contact me off-list.
jlisbeth@cfl.rr.com
boofredlay
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2004 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Notepad consistantly and I have found the best way to use it is to just input the notes. That way you can use the playback function to get an idea of how your tune will sound. Then all the ornamentations, I do by hand.
Now I have not had any formal "training" on writing music or transcribing/transposing so I do like to use the playback.
What I do not like about Notepad is that you cannot change key signature or time signature during your compisition.
But hey, for free... it is great.
I am actually thinking of buying Seibilus. My wife is a teacher and I (she) can get an educator discount.
https://www.coroflot.com/boofredlay
_Don Herman
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2004 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Derek -- As was mentioned, you could try one of the pricier versions. There's a comparison on the Coda (sorry, MakeMusic) website, and plenty of forums about Finale on the Internet. I have loaded Notepad now and then on a backup computer, or for a friend, but haven't used it much.

Finale discounts are available for educators and church musicians, so you might want to look into that if you're already using Notepad, Eric. I've heard Sibilieus (or however you spell it) is better, though I think the last couple of Finale revs have probably caught up. I don't know personally, however, as I've never tried it. (Been using Finale for years, though mainly to transpose and enter parts; I'm not a power user!)

FWIW - Don
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: