• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Jaw Problems?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PJN
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2004 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi everyone, and Happy New Year

I have recently developed first, an odd sound when I move my jaw.(audible in the left ear). Then this morning I felt the jaw area was sore, now it seems to be stiffening up, and is a bit uncomfortable.

I know I probably did something goofy, and this will pass, but at the risk of getting way more information than I need, I will ask, Have any of you experienced something like this, did you find out what caused the pain, and how did you resolve the problem?

Thanks ,

patrick
Rick
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm certainly not a doctor but what you describe sounds like it "could" be a form of TMJ. I acquired it back in 1977 when they apparently dislocated my jaw to surgically remove my wisdom teeth (all four at one time). I've had cracking/popping noises originating in my jaw ever since. I also feel that it's contributed to my tinnitus. This TMJ condition has gotten worse over the years -- headaches and pain in the jaw area. Thus far, my trumpet playing doesn't seem to have a negative effect on this condition. Like so many other things in life, I've learn to live with it but it does get rather annoying at times. It was my understanding that you acquire TMJ by way of trauma to the face/head/jaw area made worse by the fact that the jaw is the most complex joint in your entirely body!!

If it doesn't clear up soon, get yourself to a reliable dentist and have it checked out.

Good luck and take care of yourself---<Rick
PJN
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Rick for your input. I thought I would get lots of theories on this subject...TMJ being the first thing that came to mind. The things we worry about!!!

I think I may have slept on my fist , and jammed my chin in one direction, or perhaps I over extended myself while experimenting with pedal tones? In any case the stiffness and pain seem to be subsiding fairly rapidly, and have served to point out yet another area of my playing mechanics that need to be relaxed, and forgotten.

Thanks again,

Patrick

[ This Message was edited by: PJN on 2004-01-05 11:36 ]
Rick
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're quite welcome. I'm glad it doesn't appear to be TMJ.

---<Rick
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: