• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Tunable Bells

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jon Arnold
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Yamaha 6310-Z. I would like to have it converted to a tunable bell. Could anyone suggest a place to do this kind of work? How much would it cost? I also have a Bach 37 bell. I would like to have that bell be converted to put on the horn as well. I don't know how that would sound but I could have 1 bell lfor Jazz and 1 for legit. Any comments would be appreciated.

[ This Message was edited by: Jon Arnold on 2003-12-30 08:14 ]
drunkiq
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have the master do it... Ron Pinc can be reached by phone at (630) 889-2188.

-marc
_dcstep
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Bach 37 bell on a Yamaha Z body is probably going to feel very tight, but if you adjust your blow appropriately it may work. If your objective is to be able to use two very different bells on the same body, then a tuning-bell may be the best way to go. However, if you want to open up the Z and make it more resonant, then you might be better off just waiting a few weeks for the 8310Z and buying one of those. Still, a tuning-bell does tend to make a horn more resonant (look at the Schilke Ls) so, if your Z is a really great one, then you may end up with a very special horn.

Good luck.

Dave
bophead
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you decide what you are going to do, take your instrument to 'Best Instrumet Repair' on 14th in Oakland. Dick Akright is a master craftsman and will do an outstanding job on your instrument - at a reasonable price. Let us know how that works out for you. I have thought of having an instrument converted to a tunable bell.
Jon Arnold
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Z I have is a great one. It plays well and is pretty open. I have an old 37 that is in rough shape. I thought it might be a good way to get some use from the 37 bell. I don't know how a heavy bell will work with the lightweight body. I am not in the market for a new horn. I will check it out and let you know how it goes. It might be a while until I save the $ for it however.

[ This Message was edited by: Jon Arnold on 2003-12-30 15:11 ]
_dcstep
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I think that a tuning-bell Z, properly done, would be an excellent, responsive and resonant horn. I don't think that the weight of the 37 bell will be a problem, but a larger bell will likely be a better match. Still, you'll never know until you try it. If you've got a good bell lying about, then it makes sense to try to use it.

Let us know how it works out.

Dave
Irving
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to be able to use 2 bells on one body, a tunable bell conversion will allow this. However, it will also change your horn quite a bit. It will be freer blowing, but will lose it's center, or core. If I were you, before I converted my horn, I would try other peoples' tunable bell horns, and see if you can notice the difference. Then you can decide wheter or not you like this feel. Another thing. Dick Akright can convert your horn into a tunable bell which can also be re-converted back into a fixed bell horn, since he doesn't cut the bell (tube). He makes them so the bell slides into the body, the opposite of Schilke. So I would go with him.
_dcstep
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Irving's post hints, some prefer the extra resonance of a tuning-bell and some view it as a "loss of core". Either view is appropriate and neither is "right", but they are different points of view. The 6310Z is actually pretty non-resonant for a relatively light horn. I think that most that like the Z will find a good conversion a positive. If you could compare a Schile B6 with a B6L, you might hear and feel the typical difference between a fixed-bell and a tuning-bell.

Dave
Tim80
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another thought. Does anyone know if Roy Lawler performs his screw bell modifications on other horns than his own? It might be less expensive than the tunable bell.

Tim
bgwbold
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't think he does it any more, but maybe R Lawler will answer for himself if he sees this thread.

Mike
BDsop96

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have done many tuning bell conversions in my shop all with very positive results. I scratch build most of the parts and custom fit them for each individual horn. I do this for $250 which is at least half of what anyone else charges that I've seen and I can get it back to you in under 2 weeks. All of the other mentioned shops also do an excellent job, especially Ron Pinc. My advantage is that I'm not typicaly really backed up with months of work so I can turn horns around quickly and I have very little overhead so I'm able to pass that along to my customers.

Custom Trumpet Modifications, Repairs and Accessories-
www.aminortuneup.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: