• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Practice mute effect

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Welk
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to know if using a practice mute can help or develop some skill of trumpet playing or that it simply does what it is supposed to do.... make the sound less loud?

52' Olds Recording LA
Wick gold 4X

-=0=-Music is what gives us the beat, but it is also what makes beat our heart -=0=-
_Don Herman
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 0.001 cents:

1. It lets you practice with little sound out the bell, meaning you can practice during "quiet time" that you otherwise would not.

2. It adds a lot of resistance and changes the playability of your horn, so practice may be less worthwhile than on an open horn.

3. Best used for soft, long tones and that sort of practice. I'd shy away from high and loud, and pedal tones, as the mute can really change how your horn plays under those conditions.

4. Use sparingly and play open as much as possible. The audience won't pay to hear you play a practice mute. Or, at least mine won't. Of course, I don't get paid anyway, so I guess it's a moot point...

5. FWIW, I use the Peacemaker and prefer it over most other practice mutes. For a cheapie, though, it's hard to beat the simple Renuzit version on the Schilke Loyalist's Gearhead site.

HTH - Don
trumpetmike
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I frequently use my practice mute to warm up with, especially for long note exercises. It helps me to get my breathing going from the start, due to the extra resistance.

I also use it quite a bit in teaching when I am trying to persuade pupils that they really can play louder than mf. Put the mute in and ask them to play at the same volume (to the audience) as they just have. The mute means that they are having to put more air through the instrument, it helps them open up the throat and and when they take the mute out - voila - volume and tone.

For the record I use a Denis Wick practice mute - in fact I have two - one standard and one with the holes taped over, much quieter, much higher resistance and it really makes me work.

I have found I sound better when I have started my warm up on a practice mute than when I have started it without.

Just my thoughts.
Chaser
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sucks having to use one, but the Dennis Wick, it very quiet AND very freeblowing.
Welk
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to hear, I just bought a Denis Wick so I made a good choise!

52' Olds Recording LA
Wick gold 4X

-=0=-Music is what gives us the beat, but it is also what makes beat our heart -=0=-
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: