• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Attention York Collectors

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jhatpro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone out there collect York trumpets? I ask because a friend of mine has a 1937 York #28 silver plate Slimline Bb/C that she'd like to offer to a serious collector/player.

I've examined and played the horn, and it's a good one. No dings or dents. Valves are pristine. It's a one-owner horn that belonged to her late husband.

I'd buy it myself but I have too many vintage horns as it is. Contact me offline and I'll put you in touch with the seller.

"The notes are there - find them.” Mingus

2021 Martinus Geelan Custom
2005 Bach 180-72R
1965 Getzen Eterna Severinsen
1946 Conn Victor
1998 Scodwell flugel
1986 Bach 181 cornet
1954 Conn 80A cornet
2002 Getzen bugle
pfrank
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a satin silver York Grand Rapids at Osman having some work done right now...there wre many different companies using the York name over the years, mine is a med. large bore professional instrument. York Grand Rapids is all it says.

I'm curious, on my York the lead pipe and the bell pipe are attached directly to the valve casings. Is that "slim line"? (It's pretty slim) Also mine has a forward directed 2nd valve port just like my 77 Benge (that's why I bought it).

What's the price range she is asking and is it the original York or a later incarnation?
jhatpro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I recall about the horn is that it was definitely a silver York Grand Rapids and is in very good condition. Don't recall anything unusual about the leadpipe or bell tube design. I did compare the bore to my new Kanstul 1504 and disocovered that it's larger --- must be about a .462 or so.

Incidentally, after I began this thread, a TPIN member emailed me that the University of Michigan has a York trumpet collection and is looking for more.

As a result, my friend is thrilled with the idea of donating the horn to the collection, especially in view of the fact that her late husband earned a PhD there in the l950s.

[ This Message was edited by: jhatpro on 2004-01-06 18:57 ]
pfrank
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds lovely, and as a donation to a collection that York will live for many more years.
What I meant, was that there are no bracings between the valve casings and the lead pipe/ bell pipe on my York, they are directly attached. Other than that, the bell flair is very similar to my 77 Benge, the tuning slide bracing and curve are nearly identical as well.
Thanks for the info about the collection. Maybe someday I'll be near there and I'll find out just what I have.
After I get mine repared (broken spit valve, pinkey ring needs re-attaching and the 3rd valve slide is stubborn) I expect to gig with it in a group that does olde style music. After plugging the spit hole (is there a better word?) my York had a very powerful sound and is easy in the higher register. The bore on mine is about 462, same as the one you saw.
FatPauly
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a while now, someone has been posting a York Senator Bb Trumpet for sale. The seller is asking $250 and claims it is a pro-level horn.

Does anyone know about this model? Is this a fair price for it, assuming reasonable condition?

I'm not in the market, per se, but this is an intriguing ad to me. I haven't talked to the guy about it, since I don't want to mislead him into thinking I want to buy it. I guess I should give him a call and encourage him to post it on the Marketplace.

- Paul Artola
Ellicott City, Maryland
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
pfrank
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be wary...try it first...at $250... the name York was bought and used on student horns that were not Olds in quality. One even had a dummy 3rd valve slide ring on it that didn't move the slide! And bad bottom sprung valves. (personal experience, live and learn) Could a "Senator" be competition for an Ambasador in the 60s?
I bough my York Grand Rapids for $75. It was badly tarnished (like all my best e-bay finds) and in need of repair. BUT, it polished up, cleaned up and the rapares needed are minor. The valves are pretty good; they were encased in thick oil when I got it and it protected them perhaps. I figured that at $75 it was worth the gamble.
tom turner
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

The York brothers founded their company in 1884, first as a music store importing fine instruments, and soon as a very high quality manufacturer. James York had been one of the very most gifted craftsmen at the "Boston Musical Instrument Manufactury." Soon, James' York cornets were giving his old firms horns a run for their money! The pre-WWI Yorks are wonderful instruments.

Later, in 1930 the aging York brothers (along with James's son) sold out to some local Grand Rapids investors. Like happens every time bean counters and investors replace gifted artist/craftsmen, the "new" York company lived off the reputation of the past . . . but quality started it's irreversable downward spiral for the next 19 years.

In 1949 the York company had gone full circle . . . again importing the instruments that bear their name . . . this time from Italy.

The York horns of the past fifty years (and more) are NOT very highly regarded.

Hope this helps,

Tom Turner
heavyharmonies
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

The pre-WWI Yorks are wonderful instruments.

I wholeheartedly agree. Here's a thread that shows the two York horns I own:

http://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?topic=14353&forum=7

The first is definitely the better of the two; I really liked they way it felt and blew. It's currently at The Brass Brow awaiting a cleaning and some minor repair work, so I don't know the serial number offhand (if memory serves it was 1914-1915 era).

Beautiful horns...

-Dan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: