• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Pro Tec Leather Case - Not Gig Bag

View previous topic :: View next topic  
_ConnMan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone have or seen the Pro Tec leather CASE, not the gig bags, for a single trumpet? If so, can you give me details (beside what the manufacturer says about), pro's, con's etc....

[ This Message was edited by: ConnMan on 2004-01-06 23:34 ]
_dcstep
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobody seems to know Connman. I'm going to see my trumpet-pusher today, so I'll see if he's got one in stock for me to inspect.

Dave
_ConnMan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dave! I've only been able to find one place that has them in stock and that's Giardinellis (aka Musicians Friend). I've found several other places that have them advertised on theor website, but when you click on the product it end up dumping you over at Giardinellis or Musicians Friend.

Hey, I fell in love with one of those Wiseman cases (triple trumpet/flugel). I emailed them and they got back to me with a quote. Poopsie had to call 911 for me when I read it. I went into cardiac arrest! $690 for the and another $72 for S/H.

Let me know what you find out. I like the look of leather, but I don't feel comfortable with gig bags. I have an ACTIVE 6 year old boy. I could just imagine him sitting on it thinking it was more stable than it looks .... squashing my horns.

Kanstul 1600 "WB" w/ Kanstul two-piece B3C & S72 BB
Connstellation 38B
Kanstul 925 Flugelhorn (copper bell) w/ Kanstul two-piece BFL3C w/ 119S BB
Jupiter 416BL Pocket Trpt.
www.measureofgrace.com
_dcstep
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My friend at Brook Mays has seen the ProTec leather cases and reports them as "COOL", but I haven't seen one myself. If he has one in that would be a small miricle, but it's always worth a try.

Ouch on the Wiseman. I might not go for $700, even if I won the Lotto!

My youngest (when she was two, now 16) apparently stood on the side of the case holding a pristine 1940's King Silver Flare cornet that belonged to my then-boss. The tapered leadpipe was flattened!! Ugh. Incredibly, a master repairmen fixed it for about $50 such that damage wasn't visible. I did tell my boss what had happened, but he could care less. The horn was just a memory for him and so long as it looked good, that's all that mattered to him. Lucky me.

Ciao,

Dave
_dcstep
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is crazy.

My buddy has ordered several for his store, BUT corporate (Brook Mays) has refused to fill the order. He's seen the bags and says they're awesome, but his employer would require money down to "special order" one.

He's a sax playing, case-junky (he buys up old RB bags off Ebay and resales them personally) and if he thinks it's a neat bag, then it is. Unfortunately, we can't really give you any particulars on interior space, instrument fit, etc.

Maybe a small dealer that carries ProTec will get one in for you to see. Because it's a new product the big corporate purchasers seem reluctant to step out and stock a few. (ProTec's sales reps must not be particularly agressive or imaginative).

I'm thinking about putting a deposit down to "special order" one to see it and write a review. Connman, would you be interested in buying it from me (down near cost) when it comes in (assuming it's not a dog)? I'll find out particulars while I'm at the store. (Going to borrow a Selmer-Paris Chorus 80J for a night or two.

Dave
_ConnMan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave, thanks for all of your time and trouble to check this out!

I'd be interetsed in working something out possibly. Right now coming off the holidays things are a little tight cash-wise, but I have a birthday coming up in April and I'll have my IRS tax retuen back around that time. Timing obviously would be the key, but I'm open to your plan!

I especially like the part about "near cost"!! Here's what I got for a pricing guideline: http://www.giardinelli.com/srs7/sid=040108114810065118213126001994/g=home/search/detail/base_pid/541008/

Let me know how this plays out. I imagine it's going to take som time to get one of these. It doesn't sound like the "'usual" Pro Tec case item. Maybe they only make them on "request", too.

Keep in touch!

Connstellation 38B
www.measureofgrace.com
_dcstep
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I didn't see one or order one, but my guy can beat that Giardinelli price, BUT he'll need a 50% deposit to special order. (Ridiculous and embarrassing to my friend, but he might can make it worth your while when you're ready, ConnMan). As you know, suggested retail is $214.

The case is the same as the "slim line" ProPac case, but with very nice leather covering. I examined one of those stock slim-line cases and found it to have a generous pocket, nice straps and hardware and good protection of the horn, with very reasonable weight. The pocket might hold a straight mute, but a cup or harmon would likely be problematic, so you'd need a separate ditty bag for mutes. There's room for oil, swabs, pencils, tuners and such (in the pocket) but no room in the case itself for anything other than a horn and one mouthpiece (extra mpcs will need to go in the pocket in their own pouches).

How large is the bell on that Connstellation? A 5" bell fits fine and it'll handle a little larger, but I don't know what the limit is. Because it's wood, you'll want to be certain the bell will fit, so Wild Thing owners and those with bells over 5" may need to check this out.

Dave
_ConnMan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool Dave!!

My Connstellation has a whopping 5 1/4" bell. Good point about checking it out. I'll email the factory and see what they say. I'll be sure to post back here on my findings for the others with similiar concerns. I have a Pro Tec Combo Trpt/Flugel now and I LOVE IT. My Conn fits in nicley, but it's laid out all together differently than a slim line obviously.

I'll keep this in the back of my mind about working something out in spring.

Thanks again Bro!

Connstellation 38B
www.measureofgrace.com
camelbrass
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Connman,

I have a leather Protec single case (the case not the gig bag). I use it when I have to take a horn as carry on luggage on a plane because it's contoured and quite a bit smaller than the other bag I have, which is a Torpedo.

It fits my Taylor which has a 5+ inch bell without a problem. Great little case..it only has one mouthpiece holder though but has a small carrying compartment on the side for oil,passports,reading material. One side of the case is form fitted and fits both the Taylor and Kanstul. The other has 2 softish padded cross braces which hold the horn in place. There is a heavy duty YKK double zipper which goes about 3/4 of the way around the case. It has small metal feet on both the underside and the bell side so that it can be stood flat or on its bell. The main handles are stitched with a double thickness of leather all the way around the case. There is also a handle on the narrow end for lifting the case that way. It does look very classy as well!

I got mine from Dillons.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Trevor
camelbrass
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi me again,

I just got the case out to remind myself and need to add a few things. As Dave says you probably won't be able to carry mutes as the pocket is not very big.

Also my Taylor has a 5 1/2 bell and that fits (that's the limit though). The real problem may be if the trumpet has a large flare at the throat of the bell ala the Wild Thing, although the forming appears to be foam covered in material so there is probably some give in it. The Taylor has a big bell but its taper is fairly standard.

The case has a couple of metal D rings double sown onto it for a strap should you choose.

The only real con is that the mouthpiece holder inset is quite tight on the bell so you have to be very careful putting the mouthpiece into or taking it out of the case while trying to avoid hitting the bell with it.

Have fun!!

Trevor

[ This Message was edited by: camelbrass on 2004-01-09 04:04 ]
_ConnMan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trevor,

Thank for the info!! From the sounds of what you & Dave have said about it, it seems like a winner to me. I did email the factory late last night, but still haven't heard back from them yet. I feel pretty confident if a Talyor fits in it my Connstellation will as well.

Thanks Again!

Connstellation 38B
www.measureofgrace.com
_dcstep
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

About the ProTec trumpet/flugel combo case. I've got one and love it, EXCEPT I'm dissappointed that there's no useful interal storage (separate from the horn areas). As bulky as it is, they should have been able to build in a comple of nice compartments. OH, the other thing I don't like about ALL ProTec cases is that the plastic surround for the mouthpiece hole is hard plastic and will scratch the outside of my gold plated GRs (they're heavier blanks so they don't sit all the way down in there and rest on the rim). So, I've got a little ProTec 3-mpc holder that I carry in the case. I carry my GR66FL in one of the provided holes.

All-in-all, not a lot to dislike. Plus the prices was "right."

Dave
_ConnMan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave,

Doesn't your combo case have a large out pocket with a bunch of smaller pockets and slot in?

Also, my case hold (4) mpce's and I don't have any of those plasic grommet inserts. My mpce holder slots just has holes drilled into the wood insert with the black fleecy material formed down in each hole. My friend who plays first in our group has a the Pro Tec single case that has the big mute compartment in front and he has those plastic grommet inserts. Wonder if they changed the design or they forgot to put the inserts in mine?

Connstellation 38B
www.measureofgrace.com
_dcstep
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They must keep changing it. I bought mine about a year ago. I wonder if I can pull the grommets out. I do have a nice, big outside pocket. It'll hold a large music folder and other odds and ends. I like that part.

Dave
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: