• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

What to work on??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trumpetbum14

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2004 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey,
I'm an intermediate trumpet player. My director says I need to play a portion of my music up an octive. Should I work on Claude Gordon exercises or Arban? What do you suggest?
Thanks for your input
Welk
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2004 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd recommend neither of both if the only problem is to play the thing up an oactave. If you have difficulties to play it ( technical problem) then Arban is good to work on some music patern. But As it seems, it is mostly a register problem. I'd say to take a look in the High Register Development Forum, there is a lot of good stuff in there. I don't know much about Gordon work, I know there is alot of breathing stuff in his book, but I can't tell is that is good to develop high register.

[ This Message was edited by: Welk on 2004-01-11 12:16 ]
screamer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2004 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd aim for playing MUSIC up an octave; all your exercises probably are meant to be expanded (transpose them up/down) and not just jumped up an octave.

All the little songs in the back of the Arban's (especially the EASY ones, slower and more melodic) are good upper register practice. Or, at least, that's what Maynard says... Yeah, that Maynard.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: